Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

How's Tufflite's 4D Lite

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

How's Tufflite's 4D Lite

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 02:30 PM
balluce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How's Tufflite's 4D Lite

is this bird really as good as they claim it is. any good/bad experiences?

http://www.tufflight.com/4d_lite.html
Old 04-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: How's Tufflite's 4D Lite

::::bump::: ??? anyone???
Old 10-15-2008, 01:03 PM
qwerty3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got mine done a week ago, or so. I like it - I'll post a more extensive write-up when I get a chance. (Had a big reply written up, but the website 'timed out' on me [>:] )

Took me most of the summer (off and on) to build it - but I work very slowly. Several spots in the extensive instructions had me doing things I didn't understand - took me a while to get what the intent was.
I used the same motor / prop / battery / servos that I had on a Great Planes 'Flatouts'. HS-55 servos, Thunder Power 730 mAh 3-cell Lipo, Himax 'inrunner' brushless 6:1 gearing to a 12-6 prop. (I suspect this is not the optimal combination - maybe excessive current draw.)
The build is different, but not all that difficult. All CA, of one type or another. The cut and fit of the foam parts was very good. This is a real 'builders' kit - where you have to cut out some plastic pieces for (sorta) ribs for the tail. I'm impressed with the engineering that went into this kit (I'm a mech. engineer by schooling, and a mech. designer by trade, FWIW.)
I took the 'lite' approach to decorating - the 'magic marker' method. Not the prettiest, but OK for a knock-around airplane. One 'oops' in the instructions (in my opinion) - they had me color the tail pieces before gluing the ribs into them. The CA made the markers run - []
The foam is interesting stuff - mostly EPP, I suspect, but it seems lighter than the packaging EPP I've seen. The wing foam cutting is ingenious - gives a hollow wing with an airfoil.
The plane is 'TUFF' - I've 'dumped' it several times already, mostly due to my piloting skills (or lack thereof). Some were due to a dying lipo pack. NOTHING got broken - NOTHING! And did I say it's TOUGH? This for me makes it fun to fly - you can try crazy stuff, close in, with little or no risk. With the right CG, good battery and motor, it should do all that 'hovering' kind of stuff - that I want to learn how to do. It flys slowly - good for indoor (i.e. gymnasium) flying. It'll handle light wind outdoors, but not a lot - that's to be expected with this type of aircraft.
The only repairs so far have been the gears on the motor drive - these were due to bad takeoffs (it won't takeoff from grass - tiny wheels [sm=confused_smile.gif]). A nose-over with full power = stripped gear. I've learned that the best takeoff is: full throttle, point nose up, let go!
The initial CG recommended is fairly far back - it will fly OK* with the CG farther forward than recommended (but will not be nearly as acrobatic). The response for rudder and elevator is fantastic. The ailerons seem a bit weaker - like the servo is overloaded. I think that I may need to 'thin' the aileron hinge area, since it's designed with flexing foam.
I'm thinking now that I need to: a) get a new Lipo - one cell has gotten weak. b) get the recommended 'outrunner' brushless motor, to avoid the stripped gear problem. c) get the ailerons to be less stiff, by some adjustment.
I'm thinking now about the 40-sized version, that was the 'parent' of this one. It could be just as much fun, just bigger (and noisier!)
Old 10-28-2008, 09:48 AM
qwerty3

Shameless bump to the top!
Old 10-28-2008, 12:18 PM
hobbydude214
My Feedback: (13)

They are awesome! Especially for learning 3D maneuvers, i would recommend it. I have 2 they are really fun, mainly because you dont have to worry about them breaking, and waterfalls with them are endless. Although i would recommend the same setup as they have on their website.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:35 AM
qwerty3

Made some changes, and hope to try it out today at lunchtime (if it isn't too windy). Changed to the recommended Himax motor and prop, and got 2 new Lipo packs this weekend. Sanded the aileron 'hinge' areas a slightly thinner, for better aileron flex / movement (also realized that that step was in the instructions - I must have overlooked it.) Should be all set!