Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Finished

Old 06-02-2006, 07:20 PM
bmannrcflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finished

Just got done with my Great Planes Flat out ARF... This was my first foamy, it was pretty easy except for the small plastic pieces. I had to do some improvising but it seems to have worked... Now i am just waiting for the wind to die down for my maiden flight... I hope it goes well... Here are a couple of pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77523.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	470660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32253.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	470661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34188.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	470662  
Old 06-02-2006, 07:23 PM
Gary Hoorn

Default RE: Finished

Looks like you did a fine job. My Flatout was a hassle as well with the hinges. I finally used tape for the control surfaces.
Gary
Old 06-02-2006, 10:51 PM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

Nice job,

I guess I have never seen a GP flatout before. I can't believe they stuck the wing down there where it is weak and not directly in line with the motor. I hope this flies well for you. If you get frustrated with it, buy a shockflyer like the F3A, much better design.

Larry
Old 06-03-2006, 12:21 AM
bmannrcflyer

Well i just flew it... It was a little windy but i had a crowd so i had to... I need to turn down the servo rates the thing was crazy... I had 2 great landings and 2 crashes... Only a little crack but nothing that cant be fixed... BTW how do you turn down the rates?
Old 06-03-2006, 08:13 AM
Ryguy
My Feedback: (1)

Be sure you have some expo, and also setup the duel rates.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:08 AM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

If you have a computer transmitter you should add -50% expo. (notice this is a negative number) You can also adjust the end point of travel, make sure you adjust both left and right (up and down) the same. They are independently adjustable.

If you do not have a computer transmitter, move the servo connections in closer to the servo, and move the connections on the surfaces farther away from the surfaces. This changes the mechanical linkages, so 30% on the servo does not produce the same deflection on the surface.

Larry
Old 06-03-2006, 08:20 PM
bmannrcflyer

Ok thanks... I wish i had a computer radio, i guess i will have to do it the old fashion way then.. It is still pretty windy so i am going to hold off on the next flight...
Old 06-03-2006, 09:12 PM
bmannrcflyer

Has anyone else had any trouble with the supports for the control rods?? mine will not stay in or they stay in and not allow the rudder or evelator to move.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:28 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: lwatson

Nice job,

I guess I have never seen a GP flatout before. I can't believe they stuck the wing down there where it is weak and not directly in line with the motor. I hope this flies well for you. If you get frustrated with it, buy a shockflyer like the F3A, much better design.

Larry
Larry,
If you've never seen a flatout before, you cannot fully appreciate it.

Has anyone else had any trouble with the supports for the control rods?? mine will not stay in or they stay in and not allow the rudder or evelator to move.
I made sure that they wouldn't bind before I glued them. I ended up using just one a few times. No big deal as long as you place it right.

50%
Old 06-05-2006, 06:00 PM
bmannrcflyer

Well i flew it for the second time today... I went to practice early and brought my plane, i flew it over the football field and had 3 or 4 great landings, then when the runners showed up i had to move and ended up landing it in grass nose down after the landing gear got caught... A little bit of damage but nothing serious.... I lowered the rates and it flys great i had the Dual Rates going a little bit for the rolls and loops but overall it was a very successfull day.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:14 PM
50%plane

COOL!!! Glad to hear it.

50%
Old 06-06-2006, 06:55 PM
beanowaterpolo

Going to start building mine today.
Was flying the G.P. Turmoil for a few months, but it crashed today.

These are a good deal for twenty bucks.
Have fun flying.[8D]
Old 06-06-2006, 09:18 PM
bmannrcflyer

Hey i flew again today and did some more loops and barrel rolls... I felt a little risky(even with the wind) and i did a knife edge, water fall, snap rolls, and a high altitude harrier..... I was wondering how i should start hovering because it is hard to see up so high but i dont want to crash??
Old 06-06-2006, 11:01 PM
SS2P

do it like ... 20 feet off the ground ; you have a to bhave room for a mistake, but on the other hand you sould see the plane or you won't make nice hovers.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:31 PM
bmannrcflyer

Yeah thats what my dad said... I will try it tomorrow... Went through 2 batteries today had some rough landings but i started to epoxy all the cracks and other things and it has made it 20 times tougher i should have done that from the start... This is my first foamy so i am not too worried about weight, my next foamy i hope will be home built and be dedicated to 3d.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Ryguy

Get a sim! My first hovers were at head height, definately the easiest way to learn. Get the stick movements down (gets tough with the bottom toward you at first till you get it down), but then you won't have any trouble bringing it down to head height. I can't hover it high, can't see it well enough. Plus, when you get into trouble at first, rather than try to correct, remember the left stick! Power!!!
Old 06-08-2006, 12:49 AM
bmannrcflyer

Yeah i have G3 i can hover for a couple of seconds but that is it... i think i need to take my sim time mor seriously and not try to do so much crazy stuff.... I was thinking about haveing someone hold it a couple feet away then letting go and backing away and trying to keep it hovering is that a good way to start??
Old 06-08-2006, 05:50 AM
50%plane

fly the G3 Yak. It's terrific for hovering practice. Once you can do that so that it looks like a TR and is controlled, then your foamie hovering should come easily. You will be able to learn a lot more with the foamie once you've done that. also check out www.rfmodels.com for some great Extra's for hovering.

50%
Old 06-08-2006, 08:14 AM
Ryguy

Yeah, messing around on sims is fun, but you do need to every once in a while practice hard on it. I'll spend hours at a time on mine trying to perfect my rolling harriers/circles/loops.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:45 AM
bmannrcflyer

Well i am finished for good... I crashed it today it didnt roll fast enough and it smashed into the ground... All the electronics were fine though but this gives me a chance to start working on a homebuilt plane so that will be cool...