Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Fairly new to Electrics, need some help.

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Fairly new to Electrics, need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 01:05 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fairly new to Electrics, need some help.

I am fairly new to Electrics. I've been flying fuel for some time now, so I am not a novice flyer. In fact, I have two flyable 90 size pattern planes that I fly regulaly.

There is a big difference between fuel and electric, mainly being, if I add a few ounces of weight to my Venus II for instance, no big deal. I am turning a 15-10 prop with an OS 1.20 AX engine. I can probably add a pound or two and it will still fly just fine.

I have learned that ounces, even grams make a big difference with the electrics. I have a Charger flattie. It has four of the little HiTec servo's, and an Ultrafly B/06/10 1000kv motor. I have two ESC's that I have tried, one is a 12 amp the other is a 25 amp. Both are about the same size and weight. I am using an 8C 11.1 1500mah LIPO battery (GP Ultrafly I believe).

When I fly it, it seems that it is very sluggish. The first minute or so, it seems ok, but after that, it is very sluggish. I just can't seem to get the thing to do anything once that first minute is over. I think that I am overworking the battery using an 8C with this.

What I was thinking is that if I go to a different battery, one with a higher C rating (say 15 C) 1500 mah.

I am not sure if the change in battery, with the higher capacity and discharge rate, is the answer to the question. Am I defeating the discharge capacity with weight? All I want is to be able to fly this thing, under normal conditions, for longer than a few minutes before I have to land it. It just runs out of oomph early on and I am often lucky to get it to land. And, yes, the batteries are fully charged (or so I think). I am using both a Triton and an ICE charger, both set according to the instructions for charge rates for those particular batteries and the resultant charge no-load voltages are right around 12.66 volts, so I am sure that they are fully charged.

Anyone have suggestions as to how I can overcome this little problem? I really want to fly longer than three minutes!!

DS.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:51 PM
novabill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fairly new to Electrics, need some help.

The ultrafly site suggests that that motor produces max 16oz thrust. I have a Cherger foamy with a Hacker A-20L and PQ 1500 packs and weight is almost 16 oz. I get ballistic vertical and 15+ minute flight times with this setup.
Try this (if budget allows)
Hacker A-20L or Himax 2812 with a 10X4.7 prop and TP 1320 prolites. This will give you a 14-15 ounce plane and runtimes in the 10-12minute range. Vertical will be insane as well. I have more fun with the Charger RC planes than any others because they fly light and are the most affordible out there.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:41 PM
GONE2THERIVER
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fairly new to Electrics, need some help.

Hello everyone,
I am new to electrics. I have an electric setup that I am looking to put on a plane. I have a Himax 2816-890 and a Castle creations Phoenix 25 esc and 2 -1500ma lipos. I put this setup on a Brio and I was totaly dissapointed with the way it flies. Put the brio on the back burner till I can come up with the cash for a bl-15 ouitrunner and new esc. My current question is what would the equipment I have work good on? I am thinking a foamie of some sort would be good but I wanted to know what you guys thought. Whatever it is it's got to be powerful or I will hate it! That is the reason for thinking a foamie would be good. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I could totally be missing a good idea. Just hate to have this equipment sitting in a plane that I wont fly.. Thanks to everyone!!!