Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

airfolz edge 540

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 09:18 PM
jerusha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airfolz edge 540

hi am looking at the edge and i read the review on rcu but i was wondering, is it really as easy to fly as the review says it is? i want to learn 3d badly but i dont want to waste money on a plane i am just going to crash. this will be my 3rd plane
Old 08-27-2006, 07:46 AM
Spiccoli

Default RE: airfolz edge 540

You're going to crash it anyway! Haven't you heard the old saying that there's only two kinds of airplanes? Ones that have crashed and ones that are going to crash? Seriously, the Airfoilz planes are good. I don't have the Edge, although I do have the Yak 54. They fly very well. If your new to 3D you should probably consider the Yak as it's considered more as a 3D trainer. The build is pretty easy, the repair is pretty easy. For $70 on either kit, you won't be disappointed. One other thing to consider if you go with the Yak, you can get a refresher kit for $40. So if you ding it to the point you don't want to repair it anymore, order the refresher kit for $40 and re-use your old hardware and you've got a brand new Yak again. Ask me how I know that! Go to airfoilz.com if you haven't already. They also have very impressive videos of the Yak there.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Spiccoli

Let me add one more thing. I am also new to 3D. I am now hovering and torque rolling. I wouldn't tell anyone I was good at it, but with the Airfoilz Yak I am getting there. I had also flown a Ultrafly Furious (given to me), a GP Yak 55, and an E-Flite Ultimate. All of those planes are advertised as 3D planes. Maybe they are in the hands of a more experienced pilot, but I had very little luck learning 3D on them. The Airfoilz Yak is easy to hover. It's not so easy that you don't have to make any corrections, but it's stable enough to give you more reaction time. That makes it easier to learn the corrections and makes you sharper.

Get the Yak and it you don't have a motor, get the Hacker A20-20L. Or if you would like to save a few bucks, get the 3DX A20-20L, which will have similar performance to the Hacker. The 3DX isn't quite as good, but that's what I have on my Yak and it powers it nicely. If I get into trouble hovering, this motor can pull me out of it in a hurry. Let us know what you wind up doing and good luck to you.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:41 PM
jerusha

ok thanks i didnt know the airfloilz yak was a 3d trainer. ill look into that and ill let you know what i wind up doing
Old 08-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Gary Hoorn

I have both the AirfoilZ Edge and Yak. They both fly extremely well. I do agree with the other posts that the Yak is the one to start with. Read up on the bird. Many, many of us are having a great time with them. I am no 3D expert but can impress with the Yak as it seems to make it easy
Gary