Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Batteries for Airfolz Yak

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Batteries for Airfolz Yak

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 01:46 PM
nickb
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batteries for Airfolz Yak

I just finished building an Airfoilz Yak thsi weekend. It's got the Hacker 20-20, APC 10-4.7, hitec 55's, the new little hitec reciever- just like recommended from 3dx. I am using some 1320 Thunder Power Lipos that are the older 10-12C style. I'm not getting the power that it should ( barely hovers at full throttle). I think it's the batteries dropping off voltage as the amps pick up. My question is, what's the best Lipo for these little guys. There's so many companies out now and I don't really trust the C ratings they give from the factory. Bring on the suggestions.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Jack Hyde
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Batteries for Airfolz Yak

I am running a Hacker 20-22 on TP 1320 packs but mine are the newer version. I fly a 22oz plane 3d easily. Your 20-20 draws a little more current than my 20-22 but not so much that it wouldn't work on a up to 25 oz 3d plane. My 1320's have been run about 4 times a week for 6 mos and are still going strong.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Spiccoli

I am running an Airfoilz Yak with the 3DX A20-20L, which is a Hacker knockoff. I have both a TP 1320 pack and a Dualsky 1320 pack. Both fly the plane very nicely for around 10 minutes. They also are both of the 12C to 13C range. If you wind up buying any batteries, stick with the TP batteries just because they are lighter.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:53 PM
Lammy1000

TP 1320 PL's or wait to the extreme series arrives. My old TP1320's Gen 2 will fly my airfoil z in a sport plane way but the pro-lite's are ideal with excellent punch out. My TP 2100PL has awesome power for sport/pattern style flying, but is just a touch heavy for 3D experts (not me).
Old 09-03-2006, 05:15 PM
leblanc

Sweet extreme series comming out, after pro-lites, man that would be sweet.

I run 1320 TP pro-lites and have more power than I need for any manoeuer that I want to do.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:21 PM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

Same plane, same motor and pack. not only that for extreme 3d i go as low as 910 pro lites,

1) you never mention the number of cells, should be 3, if using 2 cells i understand where the problem is; look no further that setup is for 3 cells

2) what kind of esc do you have? is it on some kind of governer mode or is the timing set at the lowest? (even with timing at low you should still be able to pull straight up)

3) is your motor making a high pitch screeching sound at wot? do you hear even the slightest grinding in the can when you rotate it manually?

4) is your motor new or old? perhaps it has been severely abused and has demagnetized...

good luck, hope you get it sorted, that's a great plane and that setup is a perfect ballance between weight and power. Not too much, not too little and decent flight times.