Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Help with exponential needed

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Help with exponential needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 01:58 PM
marshall man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with exponential needed

After a 10 year rest from flying i am finally back! Gone are the big planes and the gas motors and the oily mess over the car seats. ( i do miss the smell though) Now i'm back with the electric stuff, starting with a wild fly and a little Ikarus shocky, it's taken a little time to get my reflexes toned but i'm getting there. Two months later i have finally purchased my extreme flight Extra 300e along with a computer radio. I flew the small stuff on my old JR Apex 6, just on full rates, a little twitchy with full throws but not a problem. Now i have this Exponential thing!! i understand the principles but am not sure where to start for this type of model. Can anyone give me a clue for a starting point for the Extra on high and low rates?
Old 09-14-2006, 06:12 PM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Help with exponential needed

For 3d stuff I like 50-60% expo for rudder, elevator and ailerons
I seldom mess with the dual rates, but if I do. then you want to scale down the expo as you scale down the throw. This keeps landing throws about the same in any mode, and it keeps you from being surprised.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:15 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

I usually fly with about 15% to 20% on all surfaces. In both rates...high and low. This keeps the expo curve the same for both rates. Using around 20% reduces the input around center stick just enough to smooth out any small unintended "twitches" or over controling.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:58 AM
WhtBronco

I'd suggest trying 20-30% expo to start with on high rates. Just remember on JR + reduces throw and on Futaba - reduces throw. Yeap they are opposite.

FWIW, I set my throws on high rates to all I can get and don't use expo even though my radio has it. I also almost never use low rates which are always set to 50%. I like the sitcks very sensative since the further I move the sticks the less precise I get.

I still prefer glow fuel, but I find that I fly the electrics much more often since it's more convenient. At the flying field it's generally glow fuel for me though. Electric at home and work.