Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

E-Flite Mini Funtana X

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 02:01 PM
hobby-plane-rc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E-Flite Mini Funtana X

ORIGINAL: arasdaddy

Happy thanksgiving every body, Which 480 motor should I use the 980kv or the 1020kv, not sure. I picked up the 980kv, but it sounds like it the wrong one acoording to what every body else is using, some one please confirm this.

Thank you
From what ive heard theirs really not much of a difference in those 2,the 1020kv just has a little more torque power, you wont even fell the differnce!!
Old 11-24-2006, 02:15 PM
hobby-plane-rc

ORIGINAL: Railinrob

well the motor I have is the 1020kv eflite 480 I also have a hyperion z3007-26 1240kv . Anyone have an idea which one I should mount on the nose ? I've read good stuff about the eflite motors but I'm not sure about the hyperion one .
I recomend you go with the 1020kv, the hyperion will just make the plane a little hevier. You'll get great verticle performance with 1020kv not only vertilce performance,but great overall performance!!! Happy flying
Old 11-24-2006, 02:45 PM
arasdaddy

[/quote]
From what ive heard theirs really not much of a difference in those 2,the 1020kv just has a little more torque power, you wont even fell the differnce!!
[/quote]

Thank You, I will take the 980kv 480 motor back an trade it for the 1020kv, if they allow me to. Cant wait to get this plaine together it looks and sounds great.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:21 PM
bzizzi

Finally got the MFX finished and I used the 480 1020kv and it has more than enough power,I am being
really careful with it for now because it was a B-day present from my wife and I don't want
to wreck it just yet.I does knife edge really nice though especially with the SFG installed.It started to get windy so I put it away.BTW you can get the TP pro lite 2100 3 cell here for $69 with free shipping.
http://www.rctoys.com/rc-products-ca...BATTERIES.html

But my LHS has em for the same price now !!I ordered one from Dragonfly and it took over a week to get it
because they are located in Canada.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:41 PM
hobby-plane-rc

Man,they have a pretty good selection of tp packs at low prices plus they offer free shipping coooool looks like i,ll be buying from them soon. Hey!,so how long of flite time did you get out of the new extreme tp pack you just bought? Other than KE's what other moves were you able to do before it got windy[&o]
Old 11-24-2006, 09:13 PM
bzizzi

This is my first true 3D plane,I have three MUS and a Mini Pulse and this type of plane is new to me.
Being a true 3D plane I noticed right away that it will hover under control alot better than the MUS and it will snap roll with alot more authority,I even had it on low rates.Very light stick input is needed to get it
to respond.If I fly the MUS and then go to the MFX I have to be more careful at first.Landings are three point and can be done slow without stall.BTW if you go to check out to purchace a TP pack use the discount
code word "christmassale" for an additional 10% discount.Good until 12/16.BTW,I am getting about twelve to
15 min flight time with the MUS with this pack with the same power set up,but a 10X7 slow fly prop that draws about 25a @WOT.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:28 PM
kegman1962

i have a e flite 25bl laying around and was wondering if this would be to much ie: power and weight
thanks
Old 11-24-2006, 10:43 PM
Railinrob

You know that the hyperion is 12 grams less in weight right ? it has less windings in the motor if I'm not mistaken anyways I was just curious if anyone had run the hyperion as well as the eflite motor . I'm hoping it performs unlimited vertical climbs like my da-50 powered cap 232
ORIGINAL: hobby-plane-rc

well the motor I have is the 1020kv eflite 480 I also have a hyperion z3007-26 1240kv . Anyone have an idea which one I should mount on the nose ? I've read good stuff about the eflite motors but I'm not sure about the hyperion one .
I recomend you go with the 1020kv, the hyperion will just make the plane a little hevier. You'll get great verticle performance with 1020kv not only vertilce performance,but great overall performance!!! Happy flying
Old 11-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Railinrob

I think the 25 bl might be a little too much but if it fits I'd give it shot overpowered planes can be so much fun
Old 11-25-2006, 02:33 AM
hobby-plane-rc

Sorry for the wrong info, I just thought sense the hyperion has more kv's it would be a little hevier.Oh,and as far as verticle clims,I am SURE you will have more than enough power to do so with you 1020kv

You know that the hyperion is 12 grams less in weight right ? it has less windings in the motor if I'm not mistaken anyways I was just curious if anyone had run the hyperion as well as the eflite motor . I'm hoping it performs unlimited vertical climbs like my da-50 powered cap 232
ORIGINAL: hobby-plane-rc

Old 11-25-2006, 02:57 AM
hobby-plane-rc

ORIGINAL: bzizzi

This is my first true 3D plane,I have three MUS and a Mini Pulse and this type of plane is new to me.
Being a true 3D plane I noticed right away that it will hover under control alot better than the MUS and it will snap roll with alot more authority,I even had it on low rates.Very light stick input is needed to get it
to respond.If I fly the MUS and then go to the MFX I have to be more careful at first.Landings are three point and can be done slow without stall.BTW if you go to check out to purchace a TP pack use the discount
code word "christmassale" for an additional 10% discount.Good until 12/16.BTW,I am getting about twelve to
15 min flight time with the MUS with this pack with the same power set up,but a 10X7 slow fly prop that draws about 25a @WOT.
Same her,this one will be my first 3D plane as well. I as well have the MP and MUS, so looks like were on the same track[ Oh,and thanks to you and that code you gave me ill be saving my self a couple bucks!! Happy flying
Old 11-25-2006, 07:08 PM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Built ands flew my mini x today, only time for a quick shake down then ran out of daylite. This plane flys much bigger than the original mini. very smooth on low rates and very un-pitchy. I think the 3-3/4 CG the manual calls for is very conservitive, pull up to hovers resulted in the nose wanting to fall off hard if you come off the power any at all. also would not flat spin which kinda tells me that the nose is too heavy. Lands much better than the old mini. Seemed to elevator fine but got some wing rock in a harrier. Understand though this was first flite, forward CG, no side force generators installed and had not taken the time to lateral balance. Rolling harriers seemed very good and were very easy to maintain. Will be able to tell more tommorow when I have time to really play with it. But all things considered it is a better plane than the yellow mini.

take care
zonk
Old 11-26-2006, 01:23 PM
msouth12

How are you guys getting this thing balanced? I set mine up right out of the book, with the 480, and a TP 2100 pack and I cannot get it to balance at 3 3/4. The Battery is all the way back against the wing tube, and it is balancing at 3 3/8. This is my first electric and I am used to moving the battery around to balance the plane, but in this one I don't see how you can move the battery past the wing tube. Any suggestions from you electric guys would be appreciated.

msouth
Old 11-26-2006, 01:54 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

OK, lets answer a few questions that have come up in this thread since the last time I was here.

All of our test models came in between 28 and 29 ounces using the recommended setup. QA check before delivery showed the models were a few grams lighter than the samples.

Motor of choice is the 1020 Kv Park 480. Use an APC 12x6E prop. Use either a 2100 3-cell pro-lite ot the new extremne series 2070 3-cell from Thunder power. Your choice here. It is interesting to read these post after all the work we do on the box art. The recommended setup is always on the side panel of the box on an E-flite bird, so you can read it without opening the box (some hobby shops don't like to open a box for customers). Also you can download the manual and get the recommended setup from there as well. This should help you out for the next one on the pipeline.

We do not recommend the Power 25 BL Outrunner if this was the one you were refering to. Cannot gaurantee what would happen to the airframe on this one.

The CG we came to enjoy for oevrall both precision and 3D flying was 3 3/4" aft from the leading edge of the wing at the fuselage when checked in an inverted position. Balance the plane inverted. You can go back a small bit further if you want, I am sure the model can take it, just understand the stated CG is a safe one. Everyone flies a bit different and has different taste on where a CG should be. Our pilots love it at that location for hovers, harriers, rolling harriers, high alpha knife edge, waterfalls, etc.

Make sure you have plenty of control throw on the elevator as well, 45 degrees or more. With this you should be good.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:42 PM
msouth12

John, those are interesting answers, but your post does not answer my question. I used the exact setup on the side of the box, and I have the battery as far back as it can go up against the wing tube. The problem is that at that point it balances forward of 3 3/4 you talk about. Mine is balancing at 3 3/8, and unless I can figure a way to securily mount the battery over the wing tube I will be stuck with a nose heavy plane.

msouth
Old 11-26-2006, 07:08 PM
John Redman

This seems very odd. I cannot see how the CG could be that far forward, there just isn't anything there that can do this that comes to mind. What servos are you using and what receiver? Where is your speed control located and what type is it?

I am sure we can figure this out.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:03 PM
dpitcock

John
How will the Power 10 BL work in the MFX?
Thanks in advance
Dan
Old 11-26-2006, 11:30 PM
msouth12

John, problem solved. I forgot to install the carbon supports on the tail, and once I did that the thing balances at the recomended 3 3/4. Thank you much for your speedy reply...all is well and I am confident that the plane will perform great like all of your products have for me in the past.

msouth
Old 11-27-2006, 04:17 PM
John Redman

Msouth, glad to hear you got it sorted out. You should really like the bird.

Dan,

I wouldn't recommend the Power 10. It weighs 1.2 ounces more and will definitely require the use of a 2100 li-po. The weight just goes up with the bigger motor and teh prop sizes used are almost identical. The 480 1020Kv is the motor of choice. I also can't say if the airframe can handle the extra power either. I know you won't be able to hurt it with the 480.

Stay with the 480 if you can, you won't be disappointed.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:51 PM
zonker123

Got to fly mine more over the weekend. I worked on getting the rock out of the wings in a harrier w/o using the SFGs. When i got as much out of it as i could i installed the SFGs and just like the bigger f100 it turned it into a much better handling plane. I really, REALLY, like this plane. You guys wanting to practice rolling harriers--and guys that need to (like me!) this is the plane as it does them effortlessly. Yet on low rates it goes where you point it without being pitchy. There is some coupling to the belly in knife edge-took a 10% mix to fix that, and very little roll coupling. I have the C/G at 4 inches and it is neutral going to inverted, at the the recomended 3-3/4 it took a slight push to maintain level inverted but the knife edge rudder/elevator coupling seems to be a bit less touchy. Plane lands quite well and the aluminum gear/gear mount is definetly more substantal than the old yellow mini.

take care
zonk
Old 11-27-2006, 09:54 PM
dpitcock

John
Thanks for the expert input. I had the "10" in my Brio without problems and did not know if the MFX had the same airframe strength capability. I will pursue the 480 or equivalent if you say so.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:43 PM
hobby-plane-rc

ORIGINAL: zonker123

Got to fly mine more over the weekend. I worked on getting the rock out of the wings in a harrier w/o using the SFGs. When i got as much out of it as i could i installed the SFGs and just like the bigger f100 it turned it into a much better handling plane. I really, REALLY, like this plane. You guys wanting to practice rolling harriers--and guys that need to (like me!) this is the plane as it does them effortlessly. Yet on low rates it goes where you point it without being pitchy. There is some coupling to the belly in knife edge-took a 10% mix to fix that, and very little roll coupling. I have the C/G at 4 inches and it is neutral going to inverted, at the the recomended 3-3/4 it took a slight push to maintain level inverted but the knife edge rudder/elevator coupling seems to be a bit less touchy. Plane lands quite well and the aluminum gear/gear mount is definetly more substantal than the old yellow mini.

take care
zonk
hi zonk, hey what do you mean when you say coupling to the belly in a knife-edge? hopefully someone can answer this dumn question,what are harriers. how are they done? I wish I new someone around her that can help but unfortinatlly thiers no one,thier isent even a hobby shop around (doesent that suck)anyways hopefully some one can answer that question for me. Happy flying
Old 11-28-2006, 12:51 AM
zonker123

No dumb questions so ask away. Coupling in knife edge is when you roll the plane canopy toward you 90 degress and apply rudder to hold the plane in the knife edge position the plane might have a tendency to travel in a arc away from you (toward the belly) or arc toward you (pull toward the canopy) and you correct with the elevator since in knife edge the rudder controls altitude and the elevator now controls direction left/right. Some radios other than very basic types allow you to correct for this tendency by allowing a mix that automatically will input some elevator has you move the rudder, same thing if as you apply rudder in knife edge the plane might tend to roll to one side or the other, you can mix aileron with the rudder to counteract the roll.
A harrier is when the airplane is travelling slowly forward with a nose high attitude. The airplane is not in a hover but it is not flying on the wing either. You need to have elevator travel of at least 35 to 40 degrees or so to get the plane in the proper attitude, you use the ailerones to keep the wings level and the rudder is used to steer the plane around. you also need a good power to weight ratio since the plane is "hanging" on the prop. The elevator now becomes more of a thrust diverter and you are constantly rolling on/off the power and making elevator inputs to keep the plane from not only going it a nose high hover but also to keep from dropping the nose and picking up speed and flying on the wing again.
Do a search over on the 3D forum and you should find some videos of planes doing harriers.

take care
zonk
Old 11-28-2006, 02:47 AM
hobby-plane-rc

thanks zonk, I am very familiar with Ke's,I just dident know what you meant with coupling in knife edge.Now that I no what it means I'll be sure to make adjustments with mine if it starts to coup I am just wating on the 480motor and 50amp Esc,they should arrive by Wednesday,cant wait!!! Oh, and I would of never thought that harriers were done that way,I always looked at it as a crazy rolling trick[sm=lol.gif]They did a couple of them on the MFx's video clip right?Oh,and how did you get the rocking from one side to the other fixed,I am sure you just trimed it out right? I had one more question for you.when performing rolling harriers how do you keep the plane in a slow rolling position.Do you just give it up and down elevator inputs? Ive always wanted to do one of those,dont they just look awsume!!!!!
Old 11-28-2006, 08:17 AM
Ryguy
My Feedback: (1)

For rolling harriers, you have to give it constant rudder and elevator inputs to keep the nose up. This is one of the most difficult manuevers to master.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.