Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Questions About Great Planes Flat Out Foamies

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Questions About Great Planes Flat Out Foamies

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Questions About Great Planes Flat Out Foamies

I'm thinking of getting a little brushless foamie for 3D. I've never had an electric plane before, so I got a few questions.

I'll be using a brushless motor and ESC.

Great Planes Flat Outs:
Are they junk, or are they built okay?

Servos:
I know most guys will just tell me to use the Hitec HS-55, but i like JR servos. Can someone recommend a JR servo for these little planes? There are so many to choose from. I don't mind buying a little JR mini digital if it will make a difference in how the plane flies. Metal gears? No metal gears?

Great planes Brushless motors and speed controllers:
Junk or okay?

I am not looking for a cheap plane. I want a QUALITY airplane thats going to fly well and be built reasonably well. I'm not looking to spend $1000 on a foamy. I'm just looking for a nice plane for 3D in the backyard and it has to be a nice quality plane.

Any recommendations other than the GP for 3D?
Old 10-01-2006, 08:30 PM
flyingace451

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Questions About Great Planes Flat Out Foamies

From what I hear, the quality of the instructions and the hardware to the flat outs isn't that great. I've heard that the build is filled with frustration as well if you don't happen to have a few items laying around.

If you want a high quality kit, the best of the best IMHO are the AirfoilZ planes. The build is super easy, plus the small planes fly similar to the large gas 3Ders, if you have experience with glow 3D then you will enjoy the AirfoilZ as it isn't much of a transition. Check out [link=http://airfoilz.com/]AirfoilZ[/link] or [link=http://www.3dxhobbies.com/store/catalog/category_31_Electric__airplanes.html]3DX Hobbies[/link] for info on the AirfoilZ planes.

I couldn't find JR's equivilent of the HS-55, but I'll provide the 55's specs to help you match up a JR servo to it.
4.8v/6.0v
Torque: 15oz/18oz
Speed: .17/.14 seconds
Size: .9x.5x.9 inches OR 23x12x24mm
Weight: .28 ounces or 8 grams

I hope this helps you in your search
Old 10-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Questions About Great Planes Flat Out Foamies

That loks good. I like the Edge 540. 3DX Hobbies is out of stock on everything right now. Maybe they build them on demand--so I'm going to call them on Monday.