Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

which one: airfoilz yak 54 or revolution 3d

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

which one: airfoilz yak 54 or revolution 3d

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 07:05 PM
nikolai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which one: airfoilz yak 54 or revolution 3d

Looking to learn some 3d flying. After hours of research i have narrowed it down to the airfoilz yak 54 and the revolution 3d. have read pretty much everything in the forums and understand why one is suppose to be better than the other, i.e. epp vs. depron, built up wing vs. solid... Would like to get opinons from experienced 3d flyers regarding these 2 wings only.
if you were after a good trainer/good flyer/strong airframe, which one would you choose? thanks mike
Old 10-04-2006, 06:00 AM
papa38

Default RE: which one: airfoilz yak 54 or revolution 3d

Great flier, strong, good plane period.3DFoamy.com SuperExtra, nuf said
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41142.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	535050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28020.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	535051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55086.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	535052  
Old 10-04-2006, 01:53 PM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

airfoilz...by a longshot.

papa38, he asked between 2 models only no others. yours is a flattie and he's obviously not interested in those. (smart move)
Old 10-04-2006, 05:22 PM
papa38

I'm sorry, my bad. Maybe I was delirious when I saw this thread posted in the 3DFoamy support sub-forum last night.(probably from flying too many flatties)[&o]
Old 10-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Jacked637

Has anyone tried the Extra 300s by E-foamies. I have heard from many people that, that plane is better than AirFoilz
Old 10-04-2006, 05:26 PM
aflipz

the general concensus is that it flies great and looks more scale, so i think that's what sway's people in that direction. They have a yak now with the same general design.

I think they are both ok alternatives especially for someone who fears crash damage.

Keep in mind the e-foamies epp's are fairly expensive when compared to a airfoilz kit.

If i were to chose and had gear/power system lying around my choice would be simple; i'd take the one of the airfoils, the r3d or the Efoamies that my power system is most suitable for!
Old 10-06-2006, 01:02 AM
leblanc

Airfoilz of course, thats all I fly since they came out!!
Old 10-06-2006, 08:05 AM
WhtBronco

Out of the 2, not having flown either but looked at the threads and vids alot, I'd go with the Airfoilz. However, the Airfoilz planes seem awful heavy compared to many of the other foamies and built up planes out there.

In general I think built up planes fly better since they tend to be more rigid which makes them more predictable and smoother, but they don't handle crashes as well so I suggest staying away from them until you are comfortable flying 3D. That being said I am in the process of getting a 3D Foamy Advantage bipe right now. The 3D Foamy planes fly great, they are light weight and relatively inexpensive, oh and they are made in the USA which is important to me.

FWIW, I believe Airfoilz suggests the Hacker A20-20L motor which is a great motor. I have it on my Skeeter 30, all balsa park flyer. It sends this 14oz park flyer verticle at ballistic speeds which is fun. I also found that every little bit of weight reduction counts on these planes. Having said that I now fly my Hacker motor on Thunder Power 3S 910mah packs rather than 1320mah packs to reduce weight. It dropped almost an ounce, flight performance is much better and flight times only went down about 30 seconds.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:14 AM
aflipz

Heavy? well compared to a flattie perhaps. But believe me even if you pay no attention to lightening the build this thing FLOATS compared to smaller lighter planes. One of my favourite things about it is the massive side area, i swar i think it has as much side area as it does wing area. I don't think the efoamies can make that claim.

This makes the airfoilz the easiest planes to k/e out there, not only that but the ke loops, ke elevators, ke spins.... everything this plane does is just amazing. I will definitely be flying this at the gym this winter and will make a hobby of shredding flatties to oblivion with my 10x4.7 on the a20-20l !
Old 10-06-2006, 02:08 PM
papa38

Perhaps you were molested by a flattie as a young child?
Old 10-06-2006, 02:12 PM
papa38

Does this Image bring back bad memories?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49948.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	536149  
Old 10-06-2006, 03:39 PM
aflipz

nah, i just like confetti

plus the flatty pilots at the gym are the same guys that keep dissing my small electrics all summer because they fly large gassers, well. Now it's my turn to be the agressor and i will show them NO mercy
Old 10-07-2006, 04:07 PM
papa38

Nothin wrong with electrics.Yeah, I know how some of those gasser guys are, I started w/gas, now I'm into electrics. I still have my gas stuff, and occasionally fly them, but I know what you mean
Old 10-07-2006, 04:50 PM
aflipz

I shut a few of them up a couple of weeks ago, several gas/glow pilots were just polishing their planes instead of flying due to "strong winds" This guy with a 35% edge asked me "aren't you worried that those things will be unstable in these winds?" as i walked to the field carrying my seagull extra, my airfoilz yak and my ultrafly extra 300s. I looked at him, pointed to my yak and told him it was more stable than his plane, then i prooved it to him doing slow rolls and low altitude inverted passes just a few feet off the runway and torque rolls that never end no one could believe their eyes. He flew his and yeah ok they are stable too but at that size ther'd be no excuse.

My buddy tried my yak and he kept yelling "OH MY GOD!! OH MY GOD!!! OH MY ^%$#@# GOD!!!" the whole time he flew it. He has a lot of flatties, mini funtana and electrics in his hangar but rarely flies them, uses the flatties indoors and finds the mf and others too twitchy, he couldn't believe his eyes and thumbs.

The other pilots i geneously offered the sticks to were pooping in their pants at the thought of flying a foamy in such conditions, their loss. This is not a foamy, it's 3 GIANT aerobat/3d/pattern planes compressed into a small fly anywhere package, try it i think you'll like it.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:28 PM
flyingace451

What aflipz said! AirfoilZ will rock your socks off. But if you are learning 3D from the ground up, a simulator goes a long way and helps emmensly in the learning curve.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:30 PM
flyin_kid

I love my airfoilz
Old 02-16-2007, 01:38 AM
chris8105
My Feedback: (22)

How sturdy are the airfoilz planes, the edge 540 in particular.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:49 AM
aflipz

very sturdy, in that they can take hard landings on the lg and the occasionnal mild 3d oops or even a cartwheel or two, but they are not crash proof. On the plus side they can be easily repaired particularly if you have sumo glue and depron handy.

It won't survive a beginner that has never flown anything else and has zero sim experience i can guarantee you that much.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:41 AM
aerofundan

another plane to consider is the PA Electric Shock, i can tell you, its one of the easiest plane to hover i have ever flown!, here is a video i did of it while having fun in the backyard and in the park

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5410399/tm.htm
Old 02-16-2007, 04:03 PM
chris8105

I cant decide between these two planes. One thing I did notice though is that the revolutions wing loading is lower than the airfoilz edge. Can the airfoilz edge be flown in a back yard type setting?

One other thing would a axi 2212/34 be enough for the edge?
Old 02-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Spiccoli

Chris, I have flown both of these planes. They are both great in their own way. Your answer depends on your experience level. If you can hover already and do some other basic 3D stuff, go with Airfoilz. They are fairly inexpensive, easy to build, and fly very well. If you don't know any 3D and are learning from scratch, spend the extra money and go with E-Foamies. The Revolution is an excellent 3D trainer and hovers very easily. And if you dumb-thumb it three feet above the ground you won't damage it. You will be able to crash the Revolution numerous times, something that won't necessarily be true with the Airfoilz.

I now have the E-Foamies Extra 300 and love it. A couple of weeks ago while trying to recover a low altitude mistake, I ran the thing head-on into a light pole at fairly high speed. The nose had two severe tears in it, the wing was torn near the point where it joins the fuse, and the motor shaft was sheared off flush with the front of the motor case. After 10 minutes with some UHU Creativ glue all of the damage was repaired and you couldn't even tell where it was damaged. A replacement shaft for my Park 400 came in the mail a few days later. That was a pretty bad crash and didn't even cost me $10.

Overall Chris I would go with E-Foamies now and try Airfoilz later when you're an ace.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:50 PM
chris8105

Thanks for the info spiccoli, I think I will go with the revolution. I have the efoamies Yak but still have not gotten to fly it yet because of winter. Now I just have to wait until they get some revolutuons in stock.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:14 AM
dashunde

I'm very newb.... I've been flying a hand-me-down Hobby Lobby Yak w/ a Rimfire with good success so far.
But I'd like to build my own... and know nothing about electrics.

Can someone throw out some links to these two planes? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:18 AM
Spiccoli

Go to www.airfoilz.com if you're interested in their Yak 54 or Edge 540. For the Revolution 3D or Extra 300, go to www.e-foamies.com. Don't necessarily be put off by the price of e-foamies. They are not cheap up front by any means. But for a new 3D pilot who will crash many times, they are cheaper over the long haul than the Airfoilz. The Revolution 3D is $25 more expensive than either of the Airfoilz planes. However, with a $5 tube of UHU Creative glue, your Revolution would be flying a year from now even after numerous crashes.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:25 AM
bajajrider

hey all, i just put a revolution mini together, easy build, more flimsy than a depron plane,but, cant tell much difference when its in the air. i actually flew it in the living room about ten flights before the weather was good enough. this thing flys great, repairs are as easy as every one says, all the impacts this thing has had i would have killed at least 10 flat plate foamy's. so in my opinion the price you pay for an e-foamies plane is well worth it. i've been doing 3d for a while now and its nice to have a plane that you dont have to worry about when practicing down low. it hovers as good as my cr-1, torque rolls with minimal input, and i can let my dad on the sticks without worry.

from what every one says about the airfoilz i'd also like to try one out, i'll have to convince my buddy to buy one. cant do much for a while, got a yak from e=foamies comming and a ext.flight yak i'm putting together.