Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

stronger foamies

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 02:59 PM
cojim14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stronger foamies

I've been looking to buy a foamy but a lot of the reviews and threads that I've read on a lot of them say that the foam is too brittle or can break too easily. The Tensor is 3mm I think but people still say that's too flimsy. The shock flyer's are probably the best foamies but they are 2mm. Now I read a review in Fly RC of the FoMoJo, from Billy Hell RC. That plane is 6mm thick foam which is great. They strongly advertise that it loves flying in the wind. Since most (if not all) of my electric flying is outdoors this would be the ideal plane. The only downside to the plane is that it's $50.00. I don't know if I really want to pay 50 buck for foam. So I'd like to know if there are any other foamies that are less than $40.00 that are strong enought to fly outdoors regularly and still ok for trying indoor flying. Flexible but strong landing gear would be a plus too. Thanks for the ideas.
Cojim14
Old 10-17-2006, 03:02 PM
cojim14

Default RE: stronger foamies

Oh yeah, I'd be flying the plane with an E-Flite Park 370 BL 1360 kV motor, E-Flite 10 amp pro brushless ESC, and a TP 730 2cell.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:43 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

My last foamie (GP Reflection) lasted almost a year with only outdoor flying. I have been flying another Reflection all year and it is still in very good condition.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:13 PM
SS2P

My old reflection was pretty stiff but I still think that a 6mm plane would be better. tensor is even more flexible but it is very light and flies great-- not for outdoors. Check out Charger RC CR-1 and CR-2.. I've heard that they are pretty stiff.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:32 PM
rckid90

go buy some fanfold/depron/epp/blue cor and find this planes some guy made i dont remember if it was this site or rcgroups called the vto. Its a really cool strong plane. Its a hovering machine. Im useing the same motor as you with a 3cell and its crazy.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:11 AM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.customfoamies.com. They use 6mm and it has been pretty durable for me. I smack it in at least once everytime I go flying. Usually I only get minor cracks that are easy to repair. I think it is the most durable of the foamies I've had (shockies, eflite Yak, insanefoamies).
Old 10-18-2006, 04:03 PM
flyingace451

Your budget isn't very decent if you are looking for a high quality foamy. The super high quality foamies are $50+ but they're worth it.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Ryguy
My Feedback: (1)

Check out www.fancyfoam.com. They have some great planes.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:48 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Try the rcxplanes.com Yak 54. Excellent fly in the wind and all around flyer. Is very stiff by design, think they have a pattent on the design, you will hit yourself in the head for not doing their brace on all your previous foamies. Guarantee it will be the best flyer you have ever had and well worth the bucks. Very trough also. ENJOY
Old 10-19-2006, 07:23 AM
rmgmag

I like the www.rcxplanes.com too, but I like their Illusion. I can fly it in 15mph winds but it's not easy. I don't think that there's much out there in the $50 range.