Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

ParkZone Typhoon 3d - Testing the ESC...

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

ParkZone Typhoon 3d - Testing the ESC...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 01:12 AM
kthielen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ParkZone Typhoon 3d - Testing the ESC...

I have a ParkZone Typhoon 3D that ended its previous life in a crash. After that crash, the motor no longer worked. I assumed it was the motor anyway.... Everything else worked (all servos).

I recently purchased a new motor and plugged it in, but still no life. I'm now thinking that it must be the ESC.

Is there a way to determine if the ESC is bad? Also, any other diagnostic ideas would be greatly appreciated. At this point, I'm thinking that I'll have to invent another $35 in an ESC. Bummer...

thanks for any assistance...

BTW, My ESC is plugged into the receiver in a slot that says battery. There's an empty slot with the "throttle" label. Is the "battery" slot the correct receiver slot for the ESC?

Old 10-27-2006, 10:04 AM
mkystybx

Default RE: ParkZone Typhoon 3d - Testing the ESC...

ESC needs to be plugged into the Throttle slot on the reciever.

Check the soldered connections for the on/off switch as well.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:28 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

It would be unusual for the ESC to go bad as a result of a crash. Also, since the servos work, that means you have it connected with the right polarity to the receiver. However, it could be connected to the wrong pins. Just double check to make sure it is connected to the throttle pins.

If the ESC makes the programming sound when you plug the battery, then it is properly connected. When you turn the switch to the on position, it should make another sound, if not then there is a problem.

I fly my Typhoon with a Spektrum radio. I have yet to figure out what is wrong, but sometimes it does not make the second sound when I turn the switch on and the motor will not work. I have to turn my Spektrum off, then turn the switch off, then back on, then turn my Spektrum radio back on and the sound is then heard. This does not work all the time, so sometimes I have to go through the process more than once. (It's a mistery!!)

If this continues I will invest in another ESC.

Hope the above helps

Old 10-28-2006, 01:43 AM
kthielen

When I plug in the battery, I hear one beep followed by two more beeps (total of three beeps). When I turn the switch on, no more beeps. Everything works (all servos) but nothing at all with the motor.

I did check and I am connected to the throttle pins.

When I turn the switch on, the servos begin to work, but I don't get any more motor beeps.

Sounds like a bad controller, eh? Is any 20 amp brushless motor compatible, or do I need to buy the PZ ESC?

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

Kurt

Old 10-28-2006, 08:16 AM
Dyehard

You said in your first post that the ESC is plugged into the slot labeled battery and there is another slot labeled throttle. That is the slot that the ESC is supposed to be plugged into. Having it plugged into the battery slot will put power on the plus and minus buses in the reciever, allowing it and the servoes to work, but no control signal is being sent bact to the ESC to tell it to run the motor. Plugging the ESC into the throttle slot will still put voltage on the plus and minus buses, but will also connect the motor signal lead as well.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:57 PM
WhtBronco

Do what Dyehard said. If that doesn't work then yes any 20amp ESC should work as a replacement. The motor, battery and radio don't care what brand the ESC is so long it is compatible with all of them, ie if you have li-po batteries your ESC must be compatible with li-po's.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:50 PM
kthielen

Guys,

Thanks! I tried the throttle connector on the receiver and that didn't work either... I'm guessing that it's time to start shopping for a 20A ESC.

Thanks for the assistance!

kurt