Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

The new electric YAK 54 from Greatplanes!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

The new electric YAK 54 from Greatplanes!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:55 PM
ramon49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The new electric YAK 54 from Greatplanes!

[:'(]Why try to save a turnip? The power of the 950kv per volt powerhouse and the learning curve of the new pilots is heartfelt. However, you bought it you own even after all the advice your still speak with love for this POS. Take a look at the Non Carbon KATANA from Atlanta Hobby another similar GP YAk poor quality ship. Oh! and please reread all the posts maybe you'll rethink your love .....
Old 08-04-2008, 10:16 PM
RysiuM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: wedgewing

Pure white on the bottom did not seem to fix it.
This is bad news for me. I just bought white Zagi tape to finish the rest of the wing (behind the spar) in white. Do yo suggest I shoud continue with red?

I bought few APC SF props. Here is the result:
- APC 11x3.8SF runs 30A and gives 29oz thrust at half throttle at about 14A. It goes up fast at full throttle.
- APC 10x3.8SF runs 27A and gives 29oz thrust just above half throttle at about 15A. It goes up reasonable strong at full throttle.
These are static bench data - I did not fly the pane with the new prop.

I think I will stick with 10x3.8. I run both props for few seconds at full power and the engine warms up fast.

ORIGINAL: ramon49
I think we beat this to death.
I think too. No need to continue love-hate discussion. Better stick to facts, issues and what is more important - SOLUTIONS.

Speaking of solutions, I bough Turningy TR 35-30C 1100kv Brushless Outrunner from Hobby City for less than 25 dollars. So it is "hotter" than recommended 950. But the drawback is that motor mount holes in firewall did not match mu engine bu 3/16 inch. So I decided to make a copy of original firewall - less than 10 minutes work.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:18 PM
wedgewing

ORIGINAL: ramon49

[:'(]Why try to save a turnip? The power of the 950kv per volt powerhouse and the learning curve of the new pilots is heartfelt. However, you bought it you own even after all the advice your still speak with love for this POS. Take a look at the Non Carbon KATANA from Atlanta Hobby another similar GP YAk poor quality ship. Oh! and please reread all the posts maybe you'll rethink your love .....

I think you mean the plane is a "turnip" correct?

if so the best thing he has done is to not put anything called "rimfire" in it. all the stuff he has in it can be placed in a nicer plane once he has learned all the tricks.

I have the GP Extra 330s and while it is no PA 260, it is a nice plane to fly, and since I used none of the components they supply (anything that looks like it belongs in a Monogram model kit does not fly on my bird) the plane flies very well especially since I am not using the recommended whimpy motor, neither is the YAK new flyer you are commenting on.

Things fall off planes when you follow some product managers instructions on how to build your plane light and nimble, I guess clear cellophane coating is lighter without the heavy color pigment. Build any of these planes well, and you can avoid the pitfalls of their designers

Old 07-25-2010, 08:22 AM
jvictorfc

Guys, I´m just finishing to build my yak, I bought it recently but unfortunately couldn´t see any improvements on elevator, I already have glued the ele and just now could read about it´s weakness. Is there any workaround to put an CF there while it´s already on place? Please if someone can help me before I take off and crash it.. Sorry for my english. Thanx in advance
Old 07-25-2010, 12:11 PM
RysiuM

ORIGINAL: jvictorfc Please if someone can help me before I take off and crash it..
See my post with pictures on the previous page. Four CF rods do the job.

I have also found that original landing gear is very soft. The plane tripped on a crack in the runway and that was enough to band the landing gear. I bought CF gear from Hobby City ([link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4504]Carbon Fiber Landing Gear 150mm[/link]) and it fits almost. Almost because the mounting part (on fuselage side) is to short to mount to original screws. To solve the problem I made aluminum plate with two matching holes (you cut it out of the original landing gear) and sandwitched the CF between this plate and fuselage. To increase friction so it does not move, I put a dual sticky tape on both sides of CF.

I tested new CF landing gear and it springs properly however it does not bend. This is good proven solution.

I'm flying with 2200mAh 3s Zippy so it is heavier than it should be about 800g (28 oz) but with that setup the lowest weight I can get is about 27oz if I replace the battery with 1500mAh.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:29 AM
jvictorfc

thankyou mate, the pics were not working other day but I could see now, is there any way to take a pic from the entire part on ele where the CF rod is glued?
Old 07-28-2010, 06:39 AM
RysiuM

ORIGINAL: jvictorfc
is there any way to take a pic from the entire part on ele where the CF rod is glued?
Sorry, not for next two weeks - I'm traveling. One thing - on each surface and the bottom of the fuselage I glued a small piece of CF fabric to reinforce the "anchoring" place for CF rods. Look at the pictures in that post.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Fear-Death=Fun

Rysium -

First off, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to post your build notes and solution for the stab issue. I'm in the final stages of building mine as we speak. I was planning on tearing apart the stab to install some CF support when I ran across your post and thought - "duh, that's a much less invasive solution that will work just as well if not better". I just installed my own "custom" tail wheel last night. It turns with the rudder and everything, just like a big plane. That was the first modification I wanted to make as soon as I saw the stupid skid they included. I'll probably use your suggestion for reinforcing the stab tonight.

I was wondering if you could post some pics of your CF landing gear installation. I had the same problem with a 40-size Edge a few years back. The aluminum gear that came with bent on the first stiff landing I had. I think I understand what you did by your description but it would help to see it.

As far as all the love/hate opinions on this airplane, from what I've seen so far it seems to be a nice ship for the money. Again, you get what you pay for and I agree that with the proper building skills AND taking the time to read other's experiences and suggestions (like yours), it will be just as good in the air.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Fear-Death=Fun

Here are some work-in-progress photos. You can see the custom tail braces and tail wheel pretty well. I didn't use the CF cloth but rather soaked the balsa around each whole with CA. The horizontal stab is rock solid now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vt57313.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	1505997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13744.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1505998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36689.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1505999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68955.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1506000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77155.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1506001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68882.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1506002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88114.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1506003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34373.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1506004  

Old 09-27-2010, 07:44 AM
Fear-Death=Fun

Here are some more photos of the finished product - ready for maiden today (hopefully).

The picture of the belly by the landing gear shows the fix I had to do when I split the balsa blocks that the screws for the battery hatch magnets are supposed to screw into - just like RysiuM warned about. I soaked the blocks in CA and they still split right in half. I should have drilled the holes bigger first. So I ended up cutting the blocks down enough to place a piece of ply wood across the fuse which does a much better job of holding the screws anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98960.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1507534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90851.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1507535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72888.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1507536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54701.jpg
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1507537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41465.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1507538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16555.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1507539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51942.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1507540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23620.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1507541  

Old 09-27-2010, 08:16 AM
RysiuM

Nice job on the plane. What is the final weight? I can't see from the photos, did you put some color on the covering on the bottom? This thing is next to impossible to see in the air the way GP "painted" it.

My camera broke, so no pictures on the CF landing gear installation yet. I will try to figure out something and post them.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Fear-Death=Fun

Thanks Ryslum.

I haven't weighed it so I'm not sure what the final weight is. It's probably on the heavy side considering the customizations and extra epoxy I've had to use.

Didn't put any color on the bottom either - I haven't had a problem with orientation (must be good eyes).

Speaking of CF gear though, I wanted to share my latest "enhancement" to this plane. I've been flying it in a grass field and granted, the grass is pretty short, but if I come in too fast it flips the plane over so I found myself flaring more right before touch-down and it would land with a bit more "thud" than I would like but would stay upright. Unfortunately, after a few of those the gear started breaking apart the internal structure where they are mounted. I would glue everything back together and after a few more landings the same thing would happen. It got worse each time so I'd finally had enough. I also noticed that the gear weren't bending at all so I didn't think I needed CF gear, but I had to do something about the mount-points for the gear.

Soooo, I grabbed my Dremel and went to town! I cut out all of the internal structure around the where the gear mounted before. I used an old hardened plastic gear from one of my crashed gassers and cut out a rectangular section and mounted the gear to it with new hardware. Then I made a perfect fit for it in the plane using the Dremel and epoxied the snot out of it to make sure it was solid.

Pictures of the process attached - numerous flights since and no more problems on hard landings!!!

P.S. - Sorry for the duplicated pictures - I lost track of what I had already uploaded.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:36 PM
RysiuM

Just remember that the weakest point is going to give under the stress. If you enforce the existing weakest point there is something else became the one. Better to not have the weakest point in the part that is difficult to restore (for example the fuselage). So if you made the LG mounting plate strong, don't use metal screws but maybe nylon screws that are going to brake under hard/crash landing.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:47 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The make-over
on the landing gear is so nice ...

Very well done..

I'm really interested in finding your AUWeight!
Old 11-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

I just left the Tower site and almost pulled the trigger on this plane. I really want to add a 15 or 25e power Yak to my hanger and am undecided on this or keep looking for a 40"-48" w.s. plane. Ive had a lot of fun with my Hyperion Suhkoi. They both seemed to be made HONG KONG style. How does this plane rate (1 to 10 ) against the 3D planes of 2010?.