Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

RCU Flatout Bipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 12:39 PM
maineflyer
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCU Flatout Bipe

I am new to the electric scene and am looking at getting a Flatout and wanted to get some set up info on this bipe. I have flown glow 3-d stuff and wanted to try one of these after flying it on AFPD. What is a good set up for this plane? I will be flying it in the yard and at the field and maybe indoors in the winter.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 10-31-2006, 06:47 AM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: RCU Flatout Bipe

I have mine set up like Tower recommended (rimfire motor)... but haven't completed it yet because I'm waiting for the top wing to come in... they shipped me two bottom wings

Old 10-31-2006, 08:01 AM
maineflyer

Let me know how it flys. I am looking at going with that setup with the rimfire. It should be interesting, this will be my first forray into Li-pos.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:02 AM
deckerv

Will do.. the wing is scheduled for delivery today

I built two stock turmoils though with the stock engines, and they fly nice. Hover at about 3/4 throttle, and pull out at full throttle. Can't beat them for $19 each..lol
Old 11-06-2006, 07:06 AM
deckerv

The RCU is ready to fly.. just waiting for a decent day now
Old 11-06-2006, 10:20 AM
maineflyer

Cool,
Let me know how you make out!
J
Old 11-10-2006, 01:06 PM
deckerv

Well... flys great! I have a very very little binding in my ailerons, and I think it's my pushrod that connects the upper and lower ailerons together. I'm going to cut them off and redo them tonight, but it flys very nice! It hovered about 1/2 throttle, and punched out with authority when I gave it full throttle.

I am going to redo the aileron couplers, and see if that helps. It just doesn't center perfectly. Other than that, I like it much more than my turmoil now!
Old 11-11-2006, 06:43 AM
maineflyer

Sounds great. I will be looking to get the setup soon, I have been flying it on AFPD and like it. What prop are you using on it?
Jeff
Old 11-12-2006, 07:12 PM
deckerv

APC 10x3.8 I believe
Old 11-13-2006, 09:12 AM
Dyehard

Try a 9X3.8 APC slowflyer prop. We have been using them for several months with very good results. A couple of days ago we tried a 10X3.8 on my sons Reflection and while it added a noticable amount of thrust in manuevers like a funnal, it also caused an excessive amount of torque in a hover and some other manuevers. It took three times for my son to drop into a hover because the airplane would torque completly around with the application of power until he started using large amounts of aileron to hold it. With more practice that evening he said he was able to get the timing down to drop it straight into a hover ever time, but the excessive torque was still causing funnys in other manuevers. When he got done flying the Rimfire motor was very hot to the touch, something that never happens with an 9X 3.8 prop. We are in the process of cutting the 10X3.8 down a little at time to see if we can find a balance between more thrust and less load on the motor. If we aren't sucessful, we abandon the 10 inch prop and go back to the 9 inch props.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:18 PM
maineflyer

Allen,
You said that the 9 gives you plenty of thrust to punch out of a hover or harrier correct? How long do the batteries last per flight? I am interested in your thoughts on the plane in general as I wanted to get one of these but have read that some don't like them because they aren't as crash resilient as other foamies. Is there another plane you would recommend over this one?
Thanks
Jeff
Old 11-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Dyehard

Jeff, between my son and myself, we have three Impulse 900 mil packs and one TP 730 mil pack. With the 900 mil pack, we get about nine minutes of mostly hovering, about 15 minutes if doing mostly slow things like harriers. And yes, the 9 inch prop has plenty of punch out of a hover or harrier. I spent about ten minutes hovering today, playing with the cut down 10X3.8 prop, first cut to nine inches, then cut to 8 3/4 inches. At 8 3/4 inches, it is stating to act like the standard 9X3.8 prop. The only thing we have found that the Reflection doesn't do really well with the 9X3.8 is funnel. It does the manuever quite well, really pretty in fact, but after the first turn or two it slowly starts drifting backwards toward the floor. The only way to cure that will be to make a much lighter Reflection, in the 8 to 9 ounce range. Then it will be an indoor only airplane.
All foamys will break if they hit a concrete floor very hard. My son crashed his Reflection into the concrete the other day from about five feet up, full throttle. It wasn't pretty, but about an hour later he had it flying again, and he says it flys just as good as before. There are other foamys that probably fly as good as the Reflection, but they cost a lot more than $25 and I would like to see any of them crash straight into concrete, full throttle, from five feet up and fly again emmediatly.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:15 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

I had one, and flew it in the 2006 Extreme Freestyle Championships in Memphis.

Here are my opinions of it.

The paintscheme is one of the best in foamies. It just looks fantastic. Very bright and vivid color scheme which looks good in the air.
It takes a little while to tweak one out to make it fly right, but once you get it tuned up with the linkages and all, it flys great.
This flatout has a longer tail, which makes it track better through precision maneuvers.
It still retains its 3D performance though, and flys much like the reflection...just not as wild.

As far as set-up....

Rimfire motor
Electrifly ESC
Berg 4L rx
Futaba 3110's all around.
3cell 640mah
that was the set-up I used in mine.

While I didnt do very well in the competition, it wasnt the planes fault.

I enjoyed mine very much.
Its untimely demise was due to a mis-programmed dual rate switch that flipped it to 0% on elevator. Went in inverted.
Id build another one. It was a sweet airplane.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:38 PM
maineflyer

Do you have a link for the reflection? I wanted to check it out also.
Thanks
Jeff