Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

GP Flatouts expert advice?? (Edge, BL setup)

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

GP Flatouts expert advice?? (Edge, BL setup)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 07:55 PM
tankertoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Flatouts expert advice?? (Edge, BL setup)

Anybody know what happened to the Flatouts Red Bull Edge 540? Any tips on how to assemble the light weight plastic hardware parts without breaking them? What's the best glue to use? (CA, thinned-out epoxy, hot-glue?) Which model flys the best?
Any info would be appreciated - Thanks!
Old 11-02-2006, 11:08 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GP Flatouts expert advice?? (Edge, BL setup)

Hi there! Ijust got my turmoil todayand started outting it together tonight. I read on another post to cut the hinge clips at an angle at the tip. Cut it so as the rod makes the clip spread, I have not broken one yet. I also have been sliding the control horns on the rod instead of clipping them on, them glueing them in after I get the hinges clipped on. I have the elevator done, wings have the rods glued to the leading and trailing edges, ailerons are not on yet. I also have the fuse rod glued to the top half, and have yet to put on the bottom half. That took me about 3 1/2 hours to do. I have been using medium foam safe CA for the entire assembly. Actually on the fuse rod, when I glues the smaller one into the bigger one, I used regular thin CA. Be sure to sand all the rods where you will glue them, that is not mentioned in the manual.

What power setup are you going for?? I have the 12amp ESC, rimfire 22m-1000 bl, and a berg microstamp going into it. hopfully wil have it done in a few days, I just ordered the batteries I need from tower this morning, so hopefully they will arrive around the time i finish.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:32 AM
tankertoad

I'm also using the RimFire/Electrifly set-up. I'm using 3 cell lipos and have plenty of power going to the motor with the 8 amp ESC. Your 12 amp should more than do the trick. I ended up having to tape the leading edge rods to the wing because they would pop off in a high-G pull. I used 5-min epoxy on my Edge, but it won't hold up in below freezing temperatures. They get brittle at 30 degrees. I'm moving indoors now, so hopefully my next Flatout will sustain less damage. I'm going to try the Turmoil next as the Edge's are becoming hard to find.
Thanks for the sanding tip, I hadn't thought of that. - MT
Old 11-03-2006, 11:24 AM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

I built two turmoils and an RCU bipe.. and have broken only one plastic control horn becuase I didn't ream the hold out enough for the z bend. Before I started building it, I took the plastic trees and put them in a large pot of boiling water for 3 min.. and then turned the heat off and let them sit in the water until it was room temp. I did this with rc car parts back in the day and it really helps.

I also trim the c clips like you said.. just like they show in the RCU bipe instructions. For the price, they're hard to beat, and don't deserve the bad rep everyone gives them. Gotta remember, they're VERY cheap...but good for the price IMO.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:27 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

Be sure to open the holes up in the servo arms and in the control horns. The Z-bend parts should move easily in these parts when they are installed. I found out the hard way. The servos wouldn't return to center because of all the friction. The best way to install the Z-bends is to drill out the holes with a 7/64th drill bit. Then the Z-bends snap in easily and rotate with no resistance. They also stayed in place and had very little slop.

Can't tell you how to make intalling the push rods easier. It was a beotch shoving the rods into the end of the Z-bends. My drill bit sizes didn't come in that small of a size. I couldn't hold on to the skinny wire with my hands, so I tried using a pair of pliers. Ended up smashing the rod.

Take your time.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:25 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you still need it, I have a Red Bull and could copy the instructions if needed.

Bob
Old 11-04-2006, 01:05 PM
hobbydude214
My Feedback: (13)

ok first off use regular ca with accelerator. DO NOT use hot glue or epoxy if your looking for an elephant of a plane go ahead and use either. if you havent purchased a flat out yet then you have been lucky. the only one that i have ever seen people buy twice is the reflection. the red bull is a waste of time along with most other FO. i do have to say that the only one that seemed conistant in performance was the flatana.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:08 PM
hobbydude214

electronics depends on your pocket. if you want a serious set up go with an axi or similar motor. speed control castle creations. lipo thunder power is trusted and light.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:45 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK Hobbydude,

Which Axi or hacker?

Bob
Old 11-04-2006, 04:11 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

I wouldn't use regular CA. Instead, stick with the Foam Safe or Oderless CA and Accelerator. The regular CA might melt the foam as it cures.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:30 PM
hobbydude214

im sorry i didnt mean regular ca as in not foam safe i meant regular viscosity sorry i didnt catch that yes assume whenever using epp foam to use foam safe ca. and an axi 2208 would be a lot of power it is .12 oz heavier than the rim fire but performance will be a lot different. you could also use a 2204 if you keep it around 10 oz that motor is less than 1oz it would probably be equal performance to the rim fire but it would be .5 oz lighter