Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

New to 3d

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 11:21 AM
3D-Flyer Kevin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to 3d

Hi,

My name is Kevin and I have ben flying the Ken's Flatout reflection model in my Clearview sim and I can hover and preform various manuvours pretty well, and I want to give it a try. I am looking for a good foam biplane and the best deal on all of the things to go with it. Can you guys help me?

Old 11-04-2006, 07:03 PM
3D-Flyer Kevin

Default RE: New to 3d

Is the tensor 4d any good?
Old 11-04-2006, 10:08 PM
VictoryRoll-91

It's not bad, but i've heard that is strictly for indoors, not a good performer in wind I guess. The ultimate fx 3d by e-flite pretty is nice, handles wind good, and is a good 3d performer.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Ryguy
My Feedback: (1)

Check out the Excalibur by fancyfoam.com That's going to be my competition plane for this winter. Flies better than any other foamy I've flown, including the Byp Yak, and unlike other competition foamies, it's extremely durable, which is what you need for learning 3D. I've seen Mike Hammel, the owner of Fancy Foam, hammer one in nose first full throttle, cartwheel it, and many other crashes just to walk over and toss her right back up.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:15 PM
hobbydude214
My Feedback: (13)

the ultimate 3d fx will not be a good first plane to try and learn 3d on. i have on myself but put many extra hours in it to make it lighter and changed some things to make it fly better. stock its not all that great. with the mods its a lot better but id suggest trying a different one. hobby-lobby, billy hell rc, look into the tufflight.com 4d lite, you cannot break it.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:52 PM
3D-Flyer Kevin

Whats a good transmitter? Cheap. I'm only 15 and I won't have more than one anyway and I am just planning on learning 3d for fun, not competition. I will also need some good servos and a lipo and charger. Any help would be most appreciated.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:52 PM
3D-Flyer Kevin

Any help?
Old 11-06-2006, 08:01 PM
rmgmag

For a reasonably priced transmitter, check out one of the 6 channel Futaba's or Hitecs. Hitec HS-55's are good servos and they're not too pricey. You can usually pick them up for anywhere from $12-$16 each. You'll need at least 3 and possible 4 depending on the plane. The lipos depend on the plane and motor that you're getting. Overall, I think that your best bet would be the www.fancyfoam.com Ultimate Bipe and their full package that includes the motor, servos, receiver, battery, etc. It might even include a charger, but I'm not sure.

Warning... no matter which way you go, it probably won't be cheap, and if you're like most 15 year olds that I know, money is going to be your biggest problem.

Another solution might be to see if you can pick up a used Typhoon on ebay or someplace. The entire package with a transmitter usually costs about $220 new, so you might be able to find one used, but it's not a biplane.

Good Luck!!

Bob
Old 11-06-2006, 10:22 PM
3D-Flyer Kevin

Yep you are correct, money and space are my problems. The only reason I perfer not to get the typhoon is the concern for speed which would take up my space rather quickly. I have considered a slow flyer, but I want 3d capabilities. O well maybe I will get a slow flyer.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Ryguy
My Feedback: (1)

The slowest fliers out there are usually the 3D ones. Just about any foamy will do. I have the Byp Yak and enjoy it, though it's really too fragile for a beginner. Fancyfoam.com has the Excalibur, which is very durable and flies great.

Also, if you're looking for a RTF (which it sounds like you are), check out www.parkflyers.com. They have 3D GeeBee that sounds perfect for what you're looking for.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:01 PM
3D-Flyer Kevin

Looks cool how does it rank in preformance?