Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Airfoilz Yak or Edge 540

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Airfoilz Yak or Edge 540

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 10:02 AM
HK182

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airfoilz Yak or Edge 540

hey guys, I'm looking to replace my aging e-flite profile ultimate, and I've decided on an Airfoilz plane. I just can;t pick between these two. Are the diffrences just looks, or do they fly completely different? Is one better than the other? I'm wanting to get better with 3D stuff, but also want a plane that flies well and can just cruise around if I wanted. These look great and I'm sure I would be happy with either one, but any input would be great. Thanks
Old 11-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Gary Hoorn

Default RE: Airfoilz Yak or Edge 540

I have both and frankly I prefer the Yak. It flies so nice. The Edge may be a bit better for a top 3D person but I am not one of those.
Gary
Old 11-07-2006, 07:57 PM
leblanc

My personal favorite is the edge. Although base your decision on this. The yak is a good plane for someone that casually likes to do pattern and 3D with the same airplane. It tracks better than the edge although it's 3D capability isn't as good, although still suceeds above of MANY airplanes. The edge doesn't track as well as the yak, but can 3D like no other plane I have ever flown before.

So if you like just making turns and precise stuff with a mix of 3D the yak is for you. Although, like me, if you like constant low insane 3D stunt after stunt, get the edge.

LeBlanc
Old 11-08-2006, 10:15 AM
flyin_kid

This was written by mikey and I can't say it much better....

"which one (yak, edge, and mobius) do you prefer"

"There is no good answer to this I like them all for different reasons. I will tell you the good points of all of them and you should be able to decided which is the best fit for you.
The Edge is the best for 3D its tumbles more violently then the yak and has a more responsive fell doing 3D. The precision is the worst out of the three planes not say that it wont Imac it will but when you get into the higher level sequence IE one roll circles it likes to push out. So for basic IMAC it is fine it is the high level moves that you will see the short comings of it. Basic Imac and hardcore 3D the Edge is the ticket.

The Yak is a In between plane it 3Ds well and Imacs well. It just does not 3D quite as well as the Edge or flies precision as well as the Mobius. It flies precision Better than the Edge and 3Ds better than the Mobius. The yak is less sensitive in 3D more forgiving so to speak then the edge. The yak is not quite as responsive and does not tumble quite as well. Not to take anything away from what the Yak is capable of look at the videos it will out 3D any plane it is put up against in its class but not its brother the edge. Imac with Yak is better than the Edge you can fly the advanced IMAC maneuvers with the yak it. It does not groove quite like the Mobius in low wind 5-10 to can fly any IMAC sequence with the Yak. When I grab a plane to fly on a whim this is the one I grab because if I want to get a sequence in I can do it if I want to play it will 3D great.

The Mobius is a purpose built plane it was design to pattern/IMAC fly it does this very well. This is defiantly a IMAC practice plane it groves very well up 15 mph wind you can practice all day with that much wind. This plane it by far is the best at groving and holding it lines and pattern maneuvers. As far as 3D the mobius will hover, high alfa knife edges, rolling harriers but for 3D that is about it. The long tail moment limits the amount of 3D tumbels that you need for a lot of moves. So as far as 3D I would rate the Mobius as the worst of the group but the best for precision."
Old 11-08-2006, 02:30 PM
HK182

thanks alot guys, I think I'm leaning more towards the yak. Would the yak be better for learning more 3D then?
Old 11-08-2006, 05:56 PM
flyingace451

I would say so...it seems to be the most 3D beginner friendly out of the bunch. Whatever you get you'll love, that's for sure.