Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Poor Byp Yak quality control

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Poor Byp Yak quality control

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 01:20 PM
JustABigKid
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Byp Yak quality control

I've just bought two Byp Yaks kits - the second one because the first one (bought directly from Horizon Hobby) had LOTS of problems [&o]. The reinforcement disks on the wing were clogged with glue, and the ones on the vertical struts between wings were way out of alighment - requiring lots of drilling to get slots ready for gluing the carbon rods. If that were it, then it wouldn't be so bad - BUT, when I got to the part of installing the control linkages, the hardware pack that came with the kit was really messed up. It had 8 brass control rod connectors (rather than four), but they didn't have any of the nylon snap washers which hold the connector to the servo arm. No control arms at all. Plus other parts missing.

I contacted Horizon, and to their credit they immediately sent replacement hardware (most of what was mission at least). But still, it seemed that I got the kit that was used to train the new workers in China!

I went to a local hobby store in Burbank, and bought a second Byp Yak kit (I never know when to say "no"), and this kit seems to be almost perfect. So I'm happy that some of the kits are good, but I'd be willing to pay an additional 10% or 15% if it would mean better quality control. Has anyone else had a similar experience with the Byp Yak?
Old 11-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Huckaneer

Default RE: Poor Byp Yak quality control

My byp yak was well done in my opinion. Sorry to hear yours was a little poor but glad to hear it got sorted out. You are going to love this plane. It is an all out unreal flyer. May I ask what motor you are putting in it. Have a good time with yours.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:56 PM
VictoryRoll-91

I also have this plane, and love it. Those disks on mine were also clogged with glue. Pop em' out, clean them, then re-glue, easiest way imo. The plane is awesome, just be prepared to learn to turn with rudder. I had an intersting first flight because I had never had a plane before that required rudder. You'll be fine though.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:46 PM
malcolmm

I had the excess glue problem. Not only were the disks clogged, there was far too much glue used to apply all the carbon spars in the wings, so I ended up with a heavy plane. Plus one of my struts was extremely warped

Eflight seems to have a lot of quality control problems. I returned a Brio due to extremely warped (like a potato chip) tail surfaces. I also returned a couple of Yak 54's. It's not that I'm overly fussy, my first two Yak 54's were fine.

The designs are great, the quality control is lacking.

Malcolm
Old 11-17-2006, 01:33 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

I built two BypYaks...one for a friend and one for myself.
I dont know what MORON did the reinforcement disks, but that has got to be the most retarded way I've ever seen them applied to a plane.
I dont normally call people moron, but this blunder takes the cake for poor manufacturing methods.
What were they thinking...glueing them on top of tape. And its a poor excuse for tape...what is that scotch?

Peel them ALL off the plane..which is easy...they just pop off.
Rip the tape off the wing ....you cant CA stuff to tape and expect it to hold.
Re-glue the disks directly onto the foam.
Use Dubro Hingetape to retape the spar slots. (I recommend cutting the roll in half, to make two rolls. That way you use a thinner strip,and it saves weight)
Then use a dremel to router out the slots with a small drill bit.
Then glue up all the carbon.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:29 PM
marcwv
My Feedback: (4)

That was the worst part when I built my Byp-yak. That Blenderm tape is available in a narrow width. The people that sell the CR-1 include that narrow width in their kits. If you can find where to get that tape from 3m you can probably order it cheaper. It was originally used for medical reasons ,also full-size Glider pilots used this for years to seal control surface gaps.One of the best tapes around for hinging .
Marc
Old 11-21-2006, 04:16 PM
JustABigKid
My Feedback: (3)

It just seems to me that if people are spending so much time correcting the reinforcement disks problems, that it would make much more sense for e-flite to sell the Byp Yak in a basic kit form (instead of the ARF). I don't think having the disks pre-installed saves much assembly time EVEN IF they were installed correctly. And the Byp Yak manual shows the disks being installed by the builder...

I'll bet someone at the factory thought it would be a good idea to install the disks, but didn't want to spend the time/money to do it right. I just wish Horizon would sell the Byp Yak as a basic kit so we could build it correctly...
Old 11-22-2006, 04:18 AM
marcwv
My Feedback: (4)

When I built mine some of the the carbon rods were the wrong size. Too short. If they were to long I could at least cut them. I reported it to Horizon and I'm sure they would have sent me replacements , but i had some spare carbon rod and used that.
Marc
Old 11-22-2006, 02:35 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Yep. Mine were to short too
Old 11-23-2006, 06:57 AM
In the Haze

Yes I hope the powers that be get to see this thread as everything mentioned above is exactly why I was so disappointed with the kit.

Really to have the blenderm tape on the moving surfaces but use cr@py sticky tape that is all wrinkled and stuck over the painted surfaces is ridiculous. Those plastic discs??? rather let the builder stick them on, they were full of glue[:@] The ailerons were so warped that to get all 4 in some sort of straight trim is impossible, I ended up heating them up with a heat gun and bending them straight, a bit of a hit and miss affair.

After all that it actually flies well, I added a touch of weight to the nose and it tracks true, looks good as well if you overlook that wrinkled tape.