Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Don't like my Byp Yak

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 05:32 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't like my Byp Yak

I flew my Byp Yak today for the second session of indoor flying and I've come to the conclusion that I don't like it. A fellow flyer that has one also and is a much better flier then I am came to that conclusion too. He had a good analogy, he said if you like to fly a plane that flies like it's floating in water then it's OK but if you like a plane to fly a bit more precise then it sucks. My Shocky Yak flies very precise and is predictable. I can't get my Byp Yak to hold trim and the fact that it won't turn unless you use rudder is just annoying. I know it's good to use rudder but for a simple bank turn? I'm very disappointed in this plane.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:07 PM
Ryguy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Don't like my Byp Yak

The Byp Yak is an all out competition plane that is not for everyone. For those looking for competition level performance, its great. I have one, and love it because it's such a precise and capable plane, that's great at 3D competition style flying, that I do. However, for the average backyard hucker, this is not a good plane for it. It's somewhat fragile, and has some tendencies that although great for competiton level flying can sometimes be a nuicance for just backyard flying. Sorry you don't like it.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:32 PM
VictoryRoll-91

I have one too, I like the way it flies. But turning with rudder has given me a lot of trouble, my turns just don't look right.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:06 PM
rc-sport

The last thing I would call the Byp Yak is precise. I can't this plane to hold trim. My Ikarus Yak is precise, not this plane.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Ryguy

This plane, or at least mine, flies like a pattern plane, or even better. What servos are you using? Getting the trim (especially on the rudder) does take some time, but once you get it there it should stay fine. Sounds to me like your servos aren't centering very well.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:39 PM
malcolmm

ORIGINAL: Ryguy

This plane, or at least mine, flies like a pattern plane, or even better. What servos are you using? Getting the trim (especially on the rudder) does take some time, but once you get it there it should stay fine. Sounds to me like your servos aren't centering very well.
I love the Byp Yak, but mine always goes out of trim and it isn't caused by the servos.

There is so much flex in the surfaces, especially the ailerons that consistent trimming is impossible. I also found that one of my ailerons (only one) has significantly less travel than the 3 others. This is impossible to fix with travel adjustment.

Overall, although I love my Byp Yak, my next electrics are going to be balsa. These foamies are great for some things; I can do very slow knife edge circuits a foot or two off the ground. But for precision manuvers, or anything that requires some momentum, forget it.

Malcolm
Old 11-20-2006, 10:34 PM
rc-sport

I have HS-55 on mine the same sevos that are on my Shocky. This plane may get more precise as you get used to it and it's the only foamy you fly. I find I have to change my flying style completely when I fly the Byp. There is no way you could fly a glow or gas plane the same way you fly a Byp Yak.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:12 AM
marcwv
My Feedback: (4)

Don't understand this constant trimming issue. Mine flew great . I made sure I built it straight . Assuming you build well , it sounds like a radio /servo problem . Try the radio and servos in another plane if you can .
On the rudder issue. I assume we all purchased this plane to Fly 3D. As an aspiring 3D pilot I think a coordinated turn should be no problem . Although coming from a Slope background I do appreciate a plane that can turn with ailerons only.
Marc
Old 11-23-2006, 07:08 AM
In the Haze

ORIGINAL: rc-sport

I flew my Byp Yak today for the second session of indoor flying and I've come to the conclusion that I don't like it. A fellow flyer that has one also and is a much better flier then I am came to that conclusion too. He had a good analogy, he said if you like to fly a plane that flies like it's floating in water then it's OK but if you like a plane to fly a bit more precise then it sucks. My Shocky Yak flies very precise and is predictable. I can't get my Byp Yak to hold trim and the fact that it won't turn unless you use rudder is just annoying. I know it's good to use rudder but for a simple bank turn? I'm very disappointed in this plane.
Try a bit of nose weight, you might find that it will track better. I added some just behind the motor mount up front and it really grooves now.

Remember the rudder is extremely effective so you will need plenty of expo dialled in for the precision stuff and less rudder than the normal shocky rates for the 3D stuff.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:12 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I find I have to change my flying style completely when I fly the Byp.

that stands to reason... a Byp yak is COMPLETELY different from a yak shocky
Old 11-23-2006, 10:18 AM
rc-sport

No I'm talking about the basics of flight like using ailerons to turn, this plane will not turn with ailerons and elevator. If you don't use rudder it keeps on going straight.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:20 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

and?

as mentioned... the Byp yak is nothing like the Shocky
Old 11-23-2006, 09:02 PM
rc-sport

Yea your right, I just wish it would hold trim like my shocky
Old 11-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Ryguy

What do you mean by hold trim? Are you constantly having to adjust your trim tabs? If so, something's not right. Either your servos aren't centering right or you have too much slow in the pull pull cables.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:08 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another point. With very large servo throws and short arms on the mini servos, any slop in the servo horns to pushrods is amplified. to correct this, screw onto your servo arm a plywood extender or a longer servo arm from one of your standard size servos. Extend the control horn on the surface also to match the one on the servo. In other words, if you move out a 1/4 in further on the servo arm, move 1/4 in further on the surface horn too to retain the same throw. If you go to higher servo endpoints the servo resolution will be better too. This is just fine tuning. Another point, the reason the three D planes knifedge so well is the lack of yaw coupling. It's the reason they need rudder to turn. Can't get both on the same plane. You could put some dihedral in the wing, then it wouldn't knifedge worth a sh##. Hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:21 AM
nitro wing

I find I have to change my flying style completely when I fly the Byp. There is no way you could fly a glow or gas plane the same way you fly a Byp Yak.
Wrong
There are glow planes that fly very similar to the BYP
For example my Funtana X100 flies very close to it,besides the rudder turn tendencies.There are a few others.
The BYP takes set up and checking of all surfaces often.It is the next best thing to the simulator.I never liked mine much until I really pushed it and got the radio gear doing all it can.Now it is fun and educational.
Spend the time and check that things are 100% .It is a good foamy that flies different,but is capable of incredible flight.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:50 PM
rc-sport

I have the same servos in other foamies and once they are trimmed the plane is set, there is no slop in the pull pull. HS55 aren't the most acurate at centering but what micro servo is. I had a Funtana 100 and I enjoyed flying but I didn't have to change my entire flying style to fly the thing, it just enticed me to do things I shouldn't have . Flying the Byp is just weird.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:12 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the micro world in servos, you might try a JR 285. It is incredible with the way it holds position. Your byp yak should fly straight as long as you want it to and not vary a bit. Yes you need rudder to turn, this is because of the neutral capability of the model. It was designed to do what you are saying so it can fly extreme precision F3P aerobatics.

Try some different servos and see what you think. I'll tell you what, if you try the 285's and don't notice a difference I will buy them off of you at the standard MAP price on Horizon's web site. How is that for an experiment. If you love them then it was money well spent. If you don't then nothing lost, I get the servos and you get your money back. They are 34.99 each, times three, equals 104.97.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:05 PM
flyingace451

Most of my 3D ships turn with more rudder than aileron, so this plane is just fine in my book. All planes have a turning sweet spot where when you add the right amount of aileron, elevator, and rudder the plane turns absolutely beautifully. Bank and yank turns just aren't good looking in my book.

If you fly the 3D maneuves than rely on precision to be done properly, than this plane is for you (once it is trimmed up I might add) Fast, high power servos are a must if you are looking for extreme flight.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:21 PM
rc-sport

John, thanks for the offer but I'll pass. I have the same servos on other planes and centering is not the issue here, it's the plane. I have a friend with the identical set up and he has come to the same conclusions as I have and he is 100 times the flyer that I am. You may know him because he used to work at a hobby shop in Wheeling, I won't mention his name on the boards though.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:35 AM
nitro wing

If you fly the BYP in any sort of breeze at all,it will have a mind of it's own and wander all over,when it's calm it is tons of fun and it goes where it is intended by the pilot.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:44 AM
malcolmm

John, thanks for the offer but I'll pass. I have the same servos on other planes and centering is not the issue here, it's the plane. I have a friend with the identical set up and he has come to the same conclusions as I have and he is 100 times the flyer that I am. You may know him because he used to work at a hobby shop in Wheeling, I won't mention his name on the boards though.
I agree, the problem is not with the servos, it is with the plane. Not surprising, the very thin foam used is very easy to warp, and there is lots of play in the aileron setup - one servo driving 4 ailerons is bound to have some play.

I like my Byp Yak a lot, but it has its llimitations.

Malcolm
Old 12-04-2006, 11:26 PM
nitro wing

I agree on the one servo deal,a bit of a load for one,but an extra servo may be unnecessary weight for some.
Besides the sometimes squirelly knifedge to the right and sometimes not pretty harriers,what are its limitations as far as performance? I highly doubt that very many people can even come close to pushing the BYP's limits,never mind exceeding them.I have no play in the ailerons,there cant be unless the servo is sloppy.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:05 PM
ChopperMike

Mine flew great too. Keyword flew. Some jerk cut me off and when I slammed on the brakes my Yak Byp slid forward destroying itself. I'd build another one in a second. I loved my E-Flite Yak 54 also. Much better than any of those crappy Flatouts or Ultrafly foamies!

Mike
Old 12-05-2006, 07:06 PM
nitro wing

Which ultra fly do you have.? I have their Ultimate and it is a super plane,totally awesome really,but it is a very different full fuse and fullwing foamy.I know ultrafly has some other bipes too,dont know of their quality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.