Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

GP 3D Flight Flex setup suggestions wanted?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

GP 3D Flight Flex setup suggestions wanted?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 07:52 PM
pairadocs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP 3D Flight Flex setup suggestions wanted?

I'd like to get this plane solely due to it's durability.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKVY7&P=0

I want more power than stock has to offer, and Tower has the following suggestion for an alternative brushless motor -

Ultrafly Model D/13/32 Out-Runner Brushless Mtr w/Gear
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJYZ5&P=V

My problem is that I am semi-new at building from the ground up and don't know how to compare 'apples to apples', and I'd like your veteran opinions on alternative motors that could be mounted simply/as simple as stock setup. If you don't think I'd benefit from a different brushless motor, then feel free to say so, because really I don't even know if the above link motor is good/good enough, or not very good and a better option is out there?

Obviously I'd need your suggestions on ESC and LiPoly size too, if that isn't too much to ask.

HOpe I haven't asked too much.

Thanks

Bob

ps. I currently fly/can fly rather well a Stryker C (fast and fun) and a multiplex Easystar (boring and slow, great to have learned with).

pps. I did search on this, but the answers perplexed me and I couldn't follow the suggestions so I had to ask this in my own way...thanks again
Old 11-22-2006, 01:40 PM
pcinc
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE: GP 3D Flight Flex setup suggestions wanted?

Bob,
I had one of these planes and outfitted it with a HC2808-980 shown here
( http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-26.html) and a CC25. The motor and speed control combination was flawless. Plenty of power instantly with a 3 cell Li Po 1500mah. the problem was the plane. Don't want to tell you what to buy or not, but I will tell you what I thought of this plane. I bought it with the same thought you have about being rugged and able to take a hit or 2 on the ground. First thing is they have you doing the assembly with hot melt glue instead of the usual foam safe CA. This makes the plane heavy even using the glue sparingly. I found the foam way too soft causing the fuse to flex a lot in flight. With hte elevator and rudder servos mounted in the tail end this compounded the issue. I found all the control surfaces to be very sluggish reacting. When I gave an elevator input to climb, nothing happened for a while then the plane would pop up by then it was too much then try and bring it down and it would do it again the other direction. The plane had so much flex to it that everything had a delayed reaction. I bounced it on the ground a couple of times and it didn't hold up here too good either. It got a pretty good tear on the top side of the wing. The good part is it was easy to repair, just break out the hot melt gun. I ended up replacing this plane with a Vulcan by Combat Wings (http://www.combatwings.com/catalog/p...%20Econo%20Kit). This was cheaper and is tougher. I have smacked this around a couple of times and I just pick it up and throw it back up in the air. From my experience with the 2, the Vulacn is a much better value for the money. The build on it was easier also. You can get ti all together in one evening. I put the same motor and speed controller on the Vulcan that I took off the GP Yak.
Good Luck with what ever you choose.
Peter
Old 11-22-2006, 04:27 PM
pairadocs

Default RE: GP 3D Flight Flex setup suggestions wanted?

thanks, great info. i'm going to go for it anyway, and see what happens. i suspect similar tendencies towards flexing.