Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Question: When it comes to electric motors...

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Question: When it comes to electric motors...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 12:07 PM
kf6gub
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: When it comes to electric motors...

What's the difference between "pattern power" and "3D power"? In the Brio ( E-Flite) review on this site the reviewer referred to the E-flite Power 10 outrunner motor as better suited for use as pattern power. It got me pondering. thx. Jim
Old 11-23-2006, 01:22 PM
Ryguy

Default RE: Question: When it comes to electric motors...

Generally for pattern flying weight is not as much of an issue as it is for 3D flying, thus larger motors can be used for better speed and faster uplines. For 3D, you do not need as much speed, or as fast of uplines, and you want the lowest weight possible, so a lighter, though weaker, motor is better. This only works to a point though, too heavy of a motor for pattern flying is bad, and too light of a motor for 3D won't be enough to do the job.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:01 AM
hobbydude214
My Feedback: (13)

i must contest that last post you could fly pattern(by this i mean faster up lines and more speed) and 3d( lower pitch prop for slower speeds but still getting a lot of air over the control surfaces) this does not necessairly mean you need different motors. in fact you could have one motor for 3d and pattern and find a median prop to go with it. and you auctually need more power for 3d than you do pattern. lets look at what 3d auctually means. Performing 3D aerobatics is flying beyond the stall of the wing using thrust vectoring and the power of your motor to hold the plane in the air, NOT the wing. therefore it would take more motor to fly 3d than it would pattern because in pattern there is not much of a need for more power than 1:1
Old 11-24-2006, 12:19 AM
Ryguy

Thats a good point. The same motor when using a different prop becomes a very different machine. Lower pitch and bigger diameter will add thrust, great for acceleration out of a hover. However, a smaller prop with higher pitch will get you more speed, which is better for pattern, and often times faster uplines too due to the higher pitch, however, acceleration from a hover will be weaker. My last post was my opinion and I realize my examples were a bit exagerated.