Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Seagull Models X-RAY EP

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Seagull Models X-RAY EP

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 07:37 PM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Seagull Models X-RAY EP

Anybody have one of these yet? The first batch just came in and i will be picking one up, quality looks amazing, just like the seagul Extra 300 i have.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SEA7025
Old 11-30-2006, 09:16 PM
VictoryRoll-91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Models X-RAY EP

I saw these at my LHS. I also have to agree that they look sweet, I think this plane will be a little better suited for extreme 3d stuff then the extra 300 was.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:19 PM
IH8VTEC

Anyone?
Old 01-11-2007, 06:28 PM
VictoryRoll-91

Hello? anybody got one?!
Old 01-15-2007, 08:01 PM
dbart

I just put one of these together - a great looking kit and expectations were high that all would go well and flying would be impressive. I need to mention a disclaimer - I have been out of the hobby for 8 years and the state of these kits and advancement of electrics are issues I am catching up to slowly.

Some issues:

1- the instructions call for building the tail section prior to any mention of or reference to the wing. Naive on my part because even with the best of laser cutting the only thing that counts is relationship of the control surfaces to one another. When the wing was finally installed all was not square and minor emergency sugery and heat gun tweaking was necessary.

2- the CG calls for 7cm back from the leading edge at the wing tip. Horizon's construction "tip" refines that to 7cm back on the line of the last rib near the tip. Based on that, if you are using a 480 and 2100 pack it will drive you crazy trying to find a place for the pack to make the CG work. Mine ended up a full pack length back from the stock tray position and put me through some unfortunate surgery of the existing tray. Intervention from a source of expertise far superior to mine showed that the CG position called for in the manual translated to around 45% of MAC. And it flew like it. Be careful because something seems wrong here.

3- Control throws call for 3/8" + or - on the ailerons for aerobatic. Using Eflite 75's this would hardly provide for a barrel roll, let alone an axial roll. Maybe it was a byproduct of the CG but I think the servo's are inadequate and the throws, as advertised, are inadequate as well.

So, my great expectations met frustration with this project. The jury is still out on these issues and my rustiness and ignorance may be more a factor than I'd like to admit. I would just say to beware and get resolution on the CG. The kit is good quality and looks great. Should ultimately be a satisfying flyer when I resolve the above.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:49 PM
Jdchris

I too just completed one of these and am very confused about the CG I put everything in the plane 480 e-motor and a 2100 bat pack and if you go to the 7mm bacck on the wing tip the plane comes out very very nose heavy. I mean I'm going to have to add a lot of lead to the tail! and I don't like that. Does anyone know if the CG is correct?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:38 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try a 11x5.5 prop and a 1300ma latest Lipo 3 cells - The cg is closer then - actually if you rehash the little tray and tape th battery to it -you can just move the batt back as you like - My BEC is aft enough (EFlite new blue 25 amp ) that moving the batt further back is no problem
The cg is up to you - if you want best smooth flight-- forward a bit is best .
get some green 3M masking tape really good stuff- -to tape the battery to the stick-tear off and throw away as needed.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Jdchris

Dick,
Jimmy here again. You said that you put a 1300 mah battery in your x-ray that it is the latest 3cell lipo what is the brand name and how many cdischarge rate is it . I've been flying for years but am just now getting into electrics any help would be great.
Thanks Jimmy
Old 01-24-2007, 09:30 AM
Rush7
My Feedback: (74)

Jdchris - I may be speaking about things I know nothing about but I assume Dick was using a Thunder Power 1320mah battery. It has a max continuos discharge of 13 C and can max burst at 20C.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:18 AM
patander

I just picked one of these up today. Looks like a nice kit. I hope to use a 2100 Thunder Power pack, but it looks as if the CG is off based on user reviews. Any comments? Will a 2100 work?

thanks - Patrick
Old 07-27-2007, 08:40 AM
GREG1

Hi guys,
Has anyone got a flight report yet? It's a great looking plane.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:17 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Jdchris

Dick,
Jimmy here again. You said that you put a 1300 mah battery in your x-ray that it is the latest 3cell lipo what is the brand name and how many cdischarge rate is it . I've been flying for years but am just now getting into electrics any help would be great.
Thanks Jimmy

I've been using a Dualsky 1300mah 11.1v pack and it works great. Lots of power (burst 50C, continuous 25C) and sells for $45.
Not bad at all. Here is link if you are interested:
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...roducts_id=442

Old 07-30-2007, 10:10 PM
patander

This plane flies great! What a blast. I am running the eflite 480 910kv, Thunder Power 2100 3s, Pheonix 25 control and a 12x6E prop. The CG is off from what the manual says. It's actually back a bit more. It does not seem to matter though. I did have to get everything straight with a heat gun after that it flies very good. I changed the landing gear to the same set that is on my E-Flite Ultra Mini Stick. This gear fits perfect is very durable and light. I think this was a perfect fit. I am a fairly new pilot and was a little worried about this plane, but not anymore
Old 06-03-2009, 12:44 PM
rhampton
My Feedback: (66)

im thinking of getting one. i only have a 450 Motor tho. I'm not into extreme 3d but will a 450 fly it ok? Just lookn to cruise around.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:21 AM
wibble

the xray will fly well on the park 450 although after a few flights i felt it needed i bit more power and swapped it for an axi2808/24.
i had to move the battery back (1300 3cell 25c) so i reinforced the fus floor below the reciever tray, this gives the option of using different batterys and getting the c of g back
i love this plane it does every trick in the book on hi-rates and floats in for landing on low-rates
Old 12-29-2009, 10:46 AM
IH8VTEC

The 450 will give it unlimited vertical. My brother flys his with TP 1320 3s and Flightmax 1500 3s. If it's windy he'll use the TP 2100 3s for some ballast. I don't recall what prop he is using, it's either a 10x3.8 or 9x4.7 APC sf.