Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Best indoor profile 3D plane for beginner?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Best indoor profile 3D plane for beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Kilgore Trout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best indoor profile 3D plane for beginner?

Hi!

I have been flying slow flyers indoors and I am looking to move up to 3D flying.

Was wondering what people think is the best 3D profile foamie for a beginner to learn 3D on? I will be flying indoors, and I am looking for a profile foamie.

Most of the guys who fly 3D in my group swear by the Ikarus Shockflyers. My LHS, however, carries only E-flite, and I therefore was looking at the Extra 260 3D Profile.

Thanks!

KT
Old 12-12-2006, 08:19 PM
stinger40

Default RE: Best indoor profile 3D plane for beginner?

Well, all of my foamies are E-Flite. Here are some suggestions. All I have and all fly great!

Tribute
Ultimate 3D
Tensor 4D

These are all my profiles. They all fly great. Here is a tip if you decide to go with the Ultimate. If you use a brushless motor, not an outrunner, buy a Cobri gearbox. It increases the 3D capability like no other! Hope this helps.

Stinger40
Old 12-12-2006, 10:43 PM
slostick

i just bought a tribute. i have been flying the tribute in the FS ONE simulator and like it. instead of the brushed motor i will use a Himax outrunner, a 2808-0860 or 2812-0850. i have to see the wieght. 110 to 140 watts should be enough power. i found the 110 watts was enough for unlimited vertical performance for planes about 10 ounces and the 140 watt motor gave 12.5 ounce planes unlimited vertical performance.
harold
Old 12-13-2006, 09:19 AM
stinger40

slostick,

I had a Park 400 inrunner on it, but I switched to a Himax outrunner. Now I can go straight upline on only half throttle! My Tribute is getting old and worn out, so I am going to buy another!

S40
Old 12-14-2006, 12:17 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Kilgore Trout:

My first electric was a Tribute and I enjoyed it a lot, performed well with AXI 2208 and TP 1320. Only complaint was how floppy the tail feathers are. A buddy introduced me to the rcx planes.com line, and have been flying them exclusively silnce. Very stable in normal and high alpha flight orientations. If you can't hover, elevator and torque roll any of the rcx line, better get out of the hobby. To all to it all, they are tough. Usually one plane lasts me 6-8 months of 3d down on the ground flying. Best flying foamy I hae ever had my hands on, period. Am gettiog so spoiled flying these things, there are 14 great glow and gas planes hanging on the ceiling almost rustilng away. The little guys are just so much fun and easy to deal with. No putting them togeather out at the field, just yank them out and toss, or rog if you wish. Try one, you will throw away the others, honest.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:19 AM
stinger40

ORIGINAL: rmenke

Kilgore Trout:

My first electric was a Tribute and I enjoyed it a lot, performed well with AXI 2208 and TP 1320. Only complaint was how floppy the tail feathers are. A buddy introduced me to the rcx planes.com line, and have been flying them exclusively silnce. Very stable in normal and high alpha flight orientations. If you can't hover, elevator and torque roll any of the rcx line, better get out of the hobby. To all to it all, they are tough. Usually one plane lasts me 6-8 months of 3d down on the ground flying. Best flying foamy I hae ever had my hands on, period. Am gettiog so spoiled flying these things, there are 14 great glow and gas planes hanging on the ceiling almost rustilng away. The little guys are just so much fun and easy to deal with. No putting them togeather out at the field, just yank them out and toss, or rog if you wish. Try one, you will throw away the others, honest.
Website?
Old 12-14-2006, 09:49 PM
mudpuppy

This one is definitely worth a look. [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFL2300]E-flight Extra 260[/link]
Old 12-14-2006, 09:59 PM
Kilgore Trout

Thanks for all the input. I am considering the E-flite extra 260. No one is a fan of the Shockflyers, eh?
Old 12-14-2006, 10:40 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

Shockies are great flyers. I went with a Great Planes Turmoil. Rimfire and Hitec Servos make it fly terrific.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:20 PM

Tribute is the best by far.....( I have 3! )
Old 12-25-2006, 07:47 PM
okielarry

IMHO the ONLY way to go to learn 3d indoors is a slofly mini 28 on a 17 turn cd motor it will take tons of abuse and be flying long after the shockie style planes are in the trash take a look at www.slofly.com
Old 12-27-2006, 10:43 AM
zenairplane

I have an E-flight Extra 260 and it flies fantastic. It is very stable just flying around and landing and when you want to go 3D it plays nice. It is easy to hover because when it falls out it is predictable and easy to fly out. The plane assembles very fast. I have a rimfire 22-1000, an eflight 20 amp esc and a GP 3 cell 640 lipo.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:38 AM
rmgmag

Ditto to rmenke. The RCXPlanes are great.

I've flown the E-flite Extra 260, and it's a nice flying plane. It's fairly sturdy and is pretty smooth. Nothing spectacular, but a good all around plane. The Tribute has been popular but it only does one thing well, and that's hovering. The Ultimate was popular a couple of years ago, for me it seemed to fly weird with a lot of coupling issues. The Tensor will probably be much to fragile for a beginner. If you just look at one the wrong way, it'll crack. If I were you, I'd go with the Extra. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Kilgore Trout

Thanks to all for the opinions.

I have decided to go with the Shockflyer, just because the guys who are going to instruct me fly it and recommend it. I am sure I will bust a few foamies on my way to 3D nirvana, so I am sure I will "try out" some of your suggestions once I get a feel for hovering.

Judging by my progress on RealFlight G3.5's hover trainer simulation, that should be about 5 years from now!!!