Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Looking at 3 planes. NEED HELP

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Looking at 3 planes. NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Revo Racer 16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at 3 planes. NEED HELP

Im looking at 3 planes. I need to buy 1. Tell me everything you know about these planes. Pros, Cons, anything. Can someone also tell me about the brushless motors the outrunner and the one that attaches to a gear box. Does it matter? Im new at planes. Yes I can Fly planes.

EXTRA 330L
http://www.parkflyers.com/html/extra_330l.html

EDGE 540T
http://www.parkflyers.com/html/edge_540t.html

AEROBAT
http://www.parkflyers.com/html/aerobat.html
Old 02-14-2007, 06:01 PM
-EXTRA-

Default RE: Looking at 3 planes. NEED HELP

Just so you know the extra and edge are gonna be stupid quick with them big ailerons so its not a begginer plane but im sure with enough CA and extra pieces you can learn to fly on them
Old 02-14-2007, 07:36 PM
VictoryRoll-91

I wouldn't buy a Parkflyer's brand plane. They have a bad reputation, and are just a gimmick. IMO.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Revo Racer 16

But is a bad plane to learn to fly aerobatic stunts.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:19 PM
WhtBronco

Bad planes are bad planes. A poor flying airplane will learning even more difficult. I can't say if the Park Flyer planes are any good or not, but my impression from looking at them is that they are flimsy and heavy. Heavy is bad, very bad. If you want to learn aerobatics look for a foam airplane, or even an EPP foam plane not necessarily designed for 3D. 3D planes are designed for extreme aerobatics, not just loops and rolls. That said many 3D planes with reduced control surface throws are actually fairly easy to fly.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:46 PM
packyj

New at planes and Can Fly Planes are two different things, especially when trying to fly aerobatics or heavy 3d. If you are truly new to planes I wouldn't suggest anything in this category at all as it will just be a severe waste of money. Money and time would be better spent on transferable gear you can put into an arf and work up to the plane. That way you're only buying different kits and arfs. If you try to learn to fly planes with an aerobatic plane you'll be smashing them up anyway so you may as well to learn with the learning curve in your favor.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:42 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

I flew the Edge 540T for quite some time. It is not a beginner's airplane and very touchy only requiring slight input from controls.
Had a couple of nasty crashes (pilot error) and retired it after that.

Don't know much about the other two planes although the Extra looks good in videos.

Parkflyers.com has a bad reputation on customer service when it comes to resolving problems with their products.

Take a look at the Parkzone airplanes, especially if you are just getting started. I fly their Typhoon, J-3 Cub and Stryker 27-B and very satisfied with all three of them. They also offer excellent customer service.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:22 PM
dougpeck

Look at Fliton Andrew Jesky 330S - it is a wonderful flying plane that is BIG and light and all around terrific . Best plane I have ever flown in 50 years . I paid around $175 and used an E-Flite 15 w/ Thunder Power 3s 2070.

Amazing plane !

Fliton is coming out w/a whole series of other very light planes as are other mfg. ... I think it is the future of big electrics that don't use huge very expensive batteries as giant scale electrics do now.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:23 PM
dougpeck

BTW www.fliton.com
Old 02-23-2007, 05:58 PM
imfly1234

yes, aj extra... i second that comment. it is a phenominal bird!
Old 02-24-2007, 10:55 PM
SS2P

AJ is very nice but might be too advanced. Balsa planes are just... different. I'd try a flat foamie to get all the moves and basic flying skill than step up to something like AJ. PZ typhoon is a great choice.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:50 AM
olof

You're going to get a lot of alternatives to the planes your thinking of, probably all will be better than those.
My opinion is to get a Multiplex Acromaster it is simply awesome it will 3d and track straight as for normal aerobatics
and very rugged can be repaired easy which is good when your learning. It will probably entail more expense than
your choices but will save you loads in the long run and outfly any plane in that size IMO.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Revo Racer 16

I got the Extra 330L yesterday. I hand lauched it and it did a nose dive straight in the ground because I was not used to the controls of this plane. The prop is fine. the gear shaft is bent though. can I straiten it out or should I replace it. It vibrates ALOT. Any Tip's so that wont happen again.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:29 PM
stinger40

ORIGINAL: BIG BLOCK REVO

I got the Extra 330L yesterday. I hand lauched it and it did a nose dive straight in the ground because I was not used to the controls of this plane. The prop is fine. the gear shaft is bent though. can I straiten it out or should I replace it. It vibrates ALOT. Any Tip's so that wont happen again.
I've got a tip. Buy a different plane. Just kidding. I have no experience with these planes, but I have about everything E-Flite. I LOVE my Yak. It flies great! Knife edges SUPER!!!! I haven't flown the AJ Extra, but I hope to in the next year or so.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:50 PM
slostick

you can try straightning the shaft and getting a new one if it still wobbles. check that the elevator moves in the right direction. did you launch into the wind? a down wind launch can easily cause a crash. seen a few people do it. a real trainer plane is better for learning.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Revo Racer 16

Well I replaced the Propeller shaft. the Elevator is working normally. and I lauched into the wind.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Sp33d

Don't but the 330 L from that web site.

Try this one: Hobby-estore.com
Check out the 3D Electric secton.

If you see some of the 330L Vids the nose allways flys with the nose pitched up.
You'll get bored of just flying 3D and wan't to do some scale flying too.

Make sure you buy a common name brand so you can go to your local hobby store to purchase spare parts.
I had a Walkera Heli and I had to buy parts from japan and it costs a fortuine.
I'd go with a Great Planes model, they are a bit more expencive up front but offer alot more with performance, durability, and convience.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:40 PM
gabe93

I got the GeeBee 3d from parkflyers as my first plane, the first flight it crashed after about onevof minute of flying, only because i did that stupid thing where you turn the stick the wrong way. Other than a couple glitches and weak landing gear, I am happy with a 3d rc plane from Park Flyers.