Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Any reasons not to use a prop saver?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Any reasons not to use a prop saver?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:47 PM
mullenc525

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any reasons not to use a prop saver?

I've read all the threads about prop savers, but didn't find anybody giving a good reason not to use them. Several people said they were not required with the correct landing technique, but didn't give a reason not to use one.

My flat foam plane will have an AXI 2212 motor and 12x4.7 prop, with no landing gear.

The only reason I can think of, assuming the props dont vibrate more or get thrown in flight, is losing o-rings all the time. Anything else?
Old 04-24-2007, 02:28 PM
VictoryRoll-91

Default RE: Any reasons not to use a prop saver?

I only have one plane with a prop saver, and I like it a lot. But one major reason for not having one is this:
Sure, it stops the prop from breaking it half, but it doesn't stop it from rubbing the ground and shaving it down. Too many if these, and your prop could be seriously out of balance.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:45 PM
mullenc525

I think I will always be crash landing on grass

Also, my ESC will be set with no brake, so that the prop can flip out of the way.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:14 PM
GallopingGhost

I've had very good service from them as long as the O ring is the proper size and is in good condition. As much as I like them I must admit they may not be ideal for use above 400 size motors or high performance high RPM use. For what they are designed to do and with good judgement they are a cost savings as well as a safety item.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:20 PM
guru101

ORIGINAL: mullenc525

I've read all the threads about prop savers, but didn't find anybody giving a good reason not to use them. Several people said they were not required with the correct landing technique, but didn't give a reason not to use one.

My flat foam plane will have an AXI 2212 motor and 12x4.7 prop, with no landing gear.

The only reason I can think of, assuming the props dont vibrate more or get thrown in flight, is losing o-rings all the time. Anything else?

Mullenc

I have been flying my 3Dfoamy F15 without a prop saver since it was built, if you have a good landing technique their should be no problem. But a few times i have hit the deck with the prop still spinning a bit fast and this has resulted in the drive gears getting stripped on the output shaft of my power system (GWS type stick mount). Unfortunatly i found this out while in the air and wondering why my motor was screeming it's head off and i was getting no where, the F15 still flies well to this day but it has cost me heaps in replacement gears. The prop saver is on my list just so i know i may save my drive gears on my next flight's. In the end flying on grass does nothing for you if you come in with to much RPM and the prop hit's.

Hope this help you with your decision.

Cheers guru
Old 04-24-2007, 07:56 PM
VictoryRoll-91

how big is the plane? Like Galloping said, a prop saver works best if on a small foamy. For guidelines, I think a plane with a wingspan that is over 35-37 inches may be too big to have a prop saver.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:57 PM
WhtBronco

Well I decided to try a prop saver on my recent foamy and have since ditched it. It does not hold the prop well, IMO. The prop flexes(or maybe moves off the hub a bit) a lot more with the prop saver than it does when hard mounted.

That said there are a lot of people that use them, and I have found there are quite a few that don't.

I also make sure the prop is stopped before every landing and since my current foamy is a 3D Foamy plane it glides really well. The other thing I started doing was elevators for every landing, full up elevator and no throttle and the plane just falls straight down almost perfectly level.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:06 AM
jzrf6c

Prop savers have their place. But, be careful using a prop saver with larger props and powerful engines. I have seen pilots throttle up before a flight and the force generated was enough to cause the o-ring to come apart and send the prop flying right into the face of another pilot standing 10 feet away. Luckily he was not hunt as the prop hit him in the mouth flat sided and glanced off. But, it could have been worse. I've also noticed that several "wild throttle jockies" have lost their props more that once during flights while applying "mo - power" ho ho ho.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:29 PM
WhtBronco

Here's another reason that backs up my suggestion that prop savers don't hold the prop well enough. Today flying in 15-20 knot winds I buried the sticks for a snap roll, it was pretty violent(which I like) and the prop moved enough to hit the fuse. Now I'm sure the wind contributed to this, but anytime I pull hard on the sticks the prop can be heard changing pitch and it doesn't do this much at all with a hard mount.

I decided to try the prop saver 1 more time, now it's gone for good.

I don't know for sure, but maybe my 11" and 12" props are just too big for the prop saver. I have a 1/2" O-ring on it, a 7/16" was near impossible to install.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:52 PM
stinger40

My Shocky and Katana EP have prop savers. They are fantastic!
Old 04-26-2007, 02:20 PM
WhtBronco

Well no real surprise to see different opinions of prop savers, as with almost anything else. In the end it may be best for you to try both mounts out and see which works best for you.

On my 36" foam biplane with an 11x4.7 or 12x3.8 APC SF props it just didn't work out well. Now that I found out this plane does elevators so well that I land them the prop saver isn't required either, I just make sure the prop did stop vertical.