Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Precision Aerobatics Katana MD Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Precision Aerobatics Katana MD Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Valve floater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Precision Aerobatics Katana MD Build and Fly

This plane is the beast. We don`t type that much anymore because we are out flying. It won`t die and there are not a lot of problems with it once you set it up.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Valve floater

Well guys i broke my landing gear today. 2nd set in 3 years. I am thinking about trying to find a complete half moon type one piece design type and not the factory 2 piece design. The one piece would be stronger. May use aliminum? It is not the high alpa slow landing straight down drop that breaks them. It is the foward motion of the plane that will twist them back towards the rear of the plane on rough landing strips.Any ideas guys. Leave pic if possible, Thanks
Old 09-18-2009, 09:58 AM
SkaBob

MANhave Ibeen impressed with the build on this bird!

It's taking me a while, because Ihave next to no free time lately (60+ miles each way to/from work leaves you pretty wiped out!), but every step of the wayI'm impressed!

The tail lined up straight without any adjusting (though, the holes to align the stab left/right and the lines marked weren't exactly right - at most 1/16"off - but I've got a good ruler...it's even now!) The vertical stab went in straight without any adjusting. The servos mount nice and snug with no slop, everything is just amazing on these things!

Well...actually, now that I think about it there is one modification I've been having to work with. Part way to full throw, the ailerons rub against their hinges - the slots cut for the hinge are just the slightest bit too narrow for the outboard hinge to move completely freely. Some patience and elbow grease with a fine file, and they're right as rain! I don't doubt my servos would've been able to deal with the little rub they had, but I'm picky like that... heh

All I've got left is to mount the motor box and cowl, horns, build the rods, put the wheels on, slap a receiver in it, and it'll be ready for maiden! Now if only I could scrounge up some extra free time, soI could get that done!
Old 09-22-2009, 09:15 PM
SkaBob

Hey guys, quick question...

In the section in the manual about setting up the pull-pull system for the rudder, it says not to cross the cables for it.  Is this correct?  Just about everything else I'm seeing for other planes says the pull-pull should have the cables crossed, and looking at pics in a review of the PA Extra 260, it shows the pull-pull with the cables crossed...
Old 09-23-2009, 09:38 AM
aerofundan

ORIGINAL: SkaBob

Hey guys, quick question...

In the section in the manual about setting up the pull-pull system for the rudder, it says not to cross the cables for it. Is this correct? Just about everything else I'm seeing for other planes says the pull-pull should have the cables crossed, and looking at pics in a review of the PA Extra 260, it shows the pull-pull with the cables crossed...
This is right, the cables for the Katana MD go straight, while on the 260 they go crossed.

Daniel
Old 09-23-2009, 10:58 AM
SkaBob

Glad to hear I don't have to worry about getting a new set of cables to do it crossed!

C'mon friday!Get here soon!!

Just gotta put the wing bolts together, drill/mount the cowl and put the motor/esc/receiver in and it's ready to fly!

Is it friday yet?!

man..

how about now?!
Old 10-11-2009, 07:31 PM
SkaBob

OK so life happened and it took a few weeks longer, but Igot out for my maiden flights with myKMDtoday!

WOW!

It really does fly like a much bigger plane!

I had a couple questions for those of you that've been flying them a while...

My rudder didn't seem to be all that effective at the throw specified in the manual, at low rates. Should Ibe looking at tightening the pull/pull system, or something?It was hard to keep the nose pointed upwards in knife-edge flight without flipping the rudder up to high rates...

Also, what do you guys do if the field is kinda bumpy?Hand launch?The field I maidened on isn't bumpy enough to interfere with the CLstunters that fly off of it, but the KMD was bouncing around like a jumping bean!
Old 10-12-2009, 09:56 AM
aerofundan

OK so life happened and it took a few weeks longer, but I got out for my maiden flights with my KMD today!

WOW!

It really does fly like a much bigger plane!

I had a couple questions for those of you that've been flying them a while...

My rudder didn't seem to be all that effective at the throw specified in the manual, at low rates. Should I be looking at tightening the pull/pull system, or something? It was hard to keep the nose pointed upwards in knife-edge flight without flipping the rudder up to high rates...

Also, what do you guys do if the field is kinda bumpy? Hand launch? The field I maidened on isn't bumpy enough to interfere with the CL stunters that fly off of it, but the KMD was bouncing around like a jumping bean!
Definately pull pull tension makes a big difference in rudder response, i would recommend to re-check tension, usually after the first flights it requires to be tighten again and after that you will probably not have to worry about that again

Daniel
Old 10-12-2009, 02:05 PM
SkaBob

I had it so tight I could barely get the servo horn far enough forward to get it back on the servo...just how tight should it be?
Old 10-12-2009, 02:42 PM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

Tight enough to sound like a bass guitar's big string when plucked, if it sounds like a banjo loosen it up a notch!

Seriously though; this stuff does not stretch, so it has to be snug but not so tight as to load up the bearing on the servo horn too much.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Valve floater

Hey Guys. I am still trying to locate some landing gear. I tried to search to fing some stronger aluminum gear that would work. Any advice? Where are yall getting your parts recently? Need US site. Also, i wonder if the landing gear are the same on their other fusion fiber planes. Maybe i could order those gear and it would work? Thanks
Old 10-20-2009, 09:51 PM
aflipz

Hey "Valvez" How have you been? Still enjoying my 2nd MD, flew it just this Sunday. Good times...

Messed up bad on a landing eh? Well, it's happened to me before no shame there. I don't think aluminium would be any stronger unless it's really thick in which case it would be heavy and threaten to damage the fuse. I suggest you just get a pair of replacement struts from PA usa, when you visit the PA site, just click your flag and shop till your credit card says "mercy".

The 260 and AMR struts do NOT fit the MD. Sorry I can't help with other alternatives as I haven't tried any myself.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Valve floater

Thanks Aflipz,
I went to thier site and it is in AUS version. I click on the US flag and it won`t work. I e-mailed them. Nothing back yet. Are there any more venders? Looks like you can find the plane but most do not have parts.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:40 PM
aflipz

That's wierd, let's give them another day. I might be able to hook you up, if you were sitting in the cockpit ready for take off, is it the left one or right one that's broken?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Precision Aerobatics

Hi Valve

did you try delete your cookies? its really strange. Anyway you can call our US office if you can't access the site their number is 770-292-9122 but the site should work no problems.

thanks

Adad
Precision Aerobatics team
Old 10-22-2009, 09:49 PM
Valve floater

Thanks i will try again.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Valve floater

What is annoying is that it is always the left side that breaks from twisting back on landing. never the right side. If you sit in the cockpit it is to your left. I have tried to beef it up with a little hot glue when it was new but it wants to twist towards the back of the plane on landing. I clean the mount really level and even drilled to add an extra screw. Crazy.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:17 AM
aflipz

I can't see drilling/removing material improving things really.

Funny I also have a left one that's slightly fractured (hard landing long time ago) I have spares sitting around but in hundreds of other landings the slightly stress factured strut lives on. It's not even visible but you can feel the flex. I'm just careful with it.

How many times have you broken these?? They are pretty tough, tougher than my aluminum eflite 260's LG for sure, no contest. Something has to give at some point better be an LG strut than anything else if you ask me.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:46 PM
SkaBob

OK, soI tightened the rudder cables as tight as they can get and still have the horn mounted on the servo. I'm still having trouble in knife-edge. Any tips would be helpful.

I find that I can't keep it in KEflight without throwing the rudder up to high rates (something I don't have to do with my Venus 40, Nitroplanes Yak or OMPPro-Yak), and then I have to have such a high angle of attack that having seen the videos online I'm sure something's not right... I also find that in level flight there's not much authority to the rudder, either. It doesn't turn the KMDas much as any of my other planes do at low rates.

What else shouldI be looking at here?More throw (eg- with a wider horn on the servo)?wider end points on low rates?stronger servo?

I'm also having trouble getting flat spins FLAT. The plane's at like.. a 45 degree angle all the way down, even with the battery set behind where the plane balances (per the manual's CG - and it balances perfectly at that point, even with a different motor than PA wants me to pay them for). I don't seem to have any problem with the elevator throws (Ibelieve I described the elevator control as 'hyper' at one point, it works so well), but it's acting like it's WAY nose heavy in the spins.

Ifigure it's got to be something simple...Everything else the KMDdoes is just so effortless and precise, and I know it's balanced right. I've double checked it on a jig, and when Iturn it inverted Ican take my hand off the right stick after the initial correction and not have to worry about losing any altitude...I've got plenty of power (unlimited vertical w/a 12x6)...

Any ideas? If it'd help in diagnosing, I can see ifIcan get some video up to illustrate the problems I'm having, but the weather's gonna stink here this weekend so that'll probably be at least 2 weeks away.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:33 PM
aerofundan

OK, so I tightened the rudder cables as tight as they can get and still have the horn mounted on the servo. I'm still having trouble in knife-edge. Any tips would be helpful.

I find that I can't keep it in KE flight without throwing the rudder up to high rates (something I don't have to do with my Venus 40, Nitroplanes Yak or OMP Pro-Yak), and then I have to have such a high angle of attack that having seen the videos online I'm sure something's not right... I also find that in level flight there's not much authority to the rudder, either. It doesn't turn the KMD as much as any of my other planes do at low rates.

What else should I be looking at here? More throw (eg- with a wider horn on the servo)? wider end points on low rates? stronger servo?

I'm also having trouble getting flat spins FLAT. The plane's at like.. a 45 degree angle all the way down, even with the battery set behind where the plane balances (per the manual's CG - and it balances perfectly at that point, even with a different motor than PA wants me to pay them for). I don't seem to have any problem with the elevator throws (I believe I described the elevator control as 'hyper' at one point, it works so well), but it's acting like it's WAY nose heavy in the spins.

I figure it's got to be something simple... Everything else the KMD does is just so effortless and precise, and I know it's balanced right. I've double checked it on a jig, and when I turn it inverted I can take my hand off the right stick after the initial correction and not have to worry about losing any altitude...I've got plenty of power (unlimited vertical w/a 12x6)...

Any ideas? If it'd help in diagnosing, I can see if I can get some video up to illustrate the problems I'm having, but the weather's gonna stink here this weekend so that'll probably be at least 2 weeks away.
I would recommend to set a higher rudder low rates. As for the flat spins the trick is to add a bit of throttle that will make them flat. By the way around a year ago Leblanc made a really nice mod to the KMD, he created SFG's made of depron for it, that really made it do easy knife edge loops, i recommend you to check that mod Still out of the box stock it will knife edge really easy, but not as tight as with SFG's on! but that applies to pretty much any airplane in my opinon.

Daniel
Old 10-27-2009, 11:11 PM
SkaBob

Should I have to have the rudder throws beyond what the manual says?Iwas planning on increasing the low-rate throw as my next adjustment, but it's already more throw than the manual says... with the throws where they are now, I have to have it at a 50-60 degree angle of attack to keep it from losing altitude in KE.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:50 AM
aerofundan

Should I have to have the rudder throws beyond what the manual says? I was planning on increasing the low-rate throw as my next adjustment, but it's already more throw than the manual says... with the throws where they are now, I have to have it at a 50-60 degree angle of attack to keep it from losing altitude in KE.
Yep its ok, the manual throws are pretty much just a starting point to get the feel of the airplane, but definately adjust it to your flying style and needs. I'm going to put my KMD back in the air again this weekend, going to try with a set of SFG's for fun! i'll try to post pics and maybe a video!!

Daniel
Old 10-28-2009, 10:00 AM
aerofundan

Hey guys check this out, i uploaded to Vimeo the KMD at SEFF video! hope you guys enjoy it again!

http://www.vimeo.com/7293288
Old 12-18-2009, 04:40 PM
SkaBob

So after wrestling with the pull/pull with 3 different servos Igave up. Iput the servo in the tail, re-balanced and took myKMDout flying...

And it flies KEjust fine now!

Still needs a bit of help, really, but at this point it's trim, expo and minor balancing to get it flying how Ilike...

Not sure why the pull/pull didn't work. My dad's PA 260 is setup with the cables loose and it flies just fine. They're about as tight as mine were the first time I took it up.

I tried crossing the cables, and flight improved, but it was still completely impossible to flyKE, even on high rates with the super overpowered servo on the rudder. Think maybe I had a bad cable or something?
Old 12-21-2009, 10:04 AM
aerofundan

So after wrestling with the pull/pull with 3 different servos I gave up. I put the servo in the tail, re-balanced and took my KMD out flying...

And it flies KE just fine now!

Still needs a bit of help, really, but at this point it's trim, expo and minor balancing to get it flying how I like...

Not sure why the pull/pull didn't work. My dad's PA 260 is setup with the cables loose and it flies just fine. They're about as tight as mine were the first time I took it up.

I tried crossing the cables, and flight improved, but it was still completely impossible to fly KE, even on high rates with the super overpowered servo on the rudder. Think maybe I had a bad cable or something?
Wow thats really strange, only thing i recommend is to move your battery as far forward as possible to compensate for the servo weight the tail has now.

Daniel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.