Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Hobby-lobby yak-55 profile??

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Hobby-lobby yak-55 profile??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 08:18 PM
The_Lost_Otter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby-lobby yak-55 profile??

[link]http://hobby-lobby.com/yak55.htm[/link]

I have alot of sim time, and I was wondering would this be a nice plane to fly? It appeals to me because of its price, it's electric, and it is some what small. Does anyone else fly this, if you do how good does it fly and is it sturdy?

John.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:44 AM
almsy

Default RE: Hobby-lobby yak-55 profile??

MX, this is a very popular plane and flies very well with the XT400 motor offered. I am on my second one over the last year and they are very affordable planes to sharpen your skills on
Old 06-15-2007, 10:59 AM
almsy

MX -- they are pretty durable too, I fly mine real crazy like and it takes a beating. I did retire the first one after snapping the fuse in two, but I could have glued it back together and reinforced it with bamboo sticks and kept flying it :-). the second one I bought has lots of glue and epoxy and bamboo but still flies great and wild, ... like I said, cheap to learn with, can't go wrong there.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:11 AM
The_Lost_Otter

How long are the flight times with the battery in the yak-55 combo?
Old 06-15-2007, 11:19 AM
almsy

I run 900mah batteries 3cell and look to bring it in when it hits 9 minutes on the timer with aggressive flying.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:15 PM
The_Lost_Otter

Do the servo really strip easy?
Old 06-15-2007, 03:06 PM
almsy

I don't think servos strip easily. In over 300 flights with 5 planes in the last year and a half, I've only had one servo fail and it wasn't because of stripped gears, the motor just quit on the servo, thankfully it was on the rudder and I could still control it easily with aileron and elevator to land without problem. I usually buy the cheapest I can find too, but half my stock of 20 servos are hitek HS55's
Old 06-15-2007, 03:38 PM
almsy

Mx314,

I don't know if you have any other experience other than sim time, I didn't when I started year and a half ago. I had 4 months on sim and then started flying with a Slow Stick teaching myself. Even with that, the first few flights were quite heart throbbing, and I thought I had the sim mastered. The sim time definately paid for itself though. within a month I built a GP Flatana and the ailerons were easy to adapt too. The HL Yak is easy to control, but things can and do happen fast even with it, if you are not ready. I'm not saying don't buy one, but there are easier ways to start if it is the first plane.
Tower Hobbies is selling the Hitec HS55's for $9.99 and a little less if you buy 3 or more. Also check out www.blackdogrc.com for some good prices and he has free shipping too for starters. I've bought batteries and servos from him, good to deal with as are many others too.