Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Clik XL 52" wingspan

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 08:50 AM
3DownLow
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clik XL 52" wingspan

Scaled up the Clik F3P indoor foamie to 52" wingspan. Makes a great outdoor 3D/pattern flyer out of an indoor feather. Thought the weight might be an issue but its still a floater. Transitions are smooth. Especially to wall, more pivotal than arcing. Harriers upright and inverted with no wing rock. Elevators go straight down with no wing rock. Did I mention no wing rock? Sweetness. KE's with 3deg to no rudder input. With the generous side area, the rudder had to be toned down big time. Downlines could use a little braking, but still not bad. Will add some boundary layer devices later to help with that. Can't say enough about the flight characteristics. For a cheapo " let's throw it together and see how it flies" plane , it's the bomb diggity! My new beater plane for sure. The plan is to scale this one up to a 80-100" version, so this one is a testbed for materials/construction. Can't wait to see a giant scale F3P foamie floating around the yard! Stay tuned for new developments and video...Great design David K.!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82537.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	708735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47743.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	708736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19825.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	708737  
Old 06-22-2007, 01:30 PM
3DSAVAGE

Default RE: Clik XL 52" wingspan

sounds good! Can't wait 4 the video!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 03:34 PM
3DownLow

Flew it 4 times myself today and all I can do is smile! Where was this plane a year ago?! I'll try and shoot some video probably Sunday. This is too cool a plane not to share! I'm not that great a 3D flyer but this one is easy compared to a lot of planes I've flown-foamie and balsa/composite. Very positive control for a foamie. No white knuckle stuff here. Can't wait to make the big one now!
Old 06-22-2007, 07:07 PM
GallopingGhost

Updates and more info puhhhleeze.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:22 PM
3DownLow

52" wingspan 57" length. 42oz AUW. 4s TP 2070/Airboss 45(5amp BEC)/Torque 2814/820,13 x 6.5 E prop. AR6000, 2 x HS-65MG's 2 x HS-85MGs. Will be adding wing turbulators to slow downlines and provide constant speed. Should be even better.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:43 PM
GallopingGhost

I bet that thing is so sweet its fattning to fly it....... Tease us some more with a video.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:25 AM
3DownLow

Almost have to brush your teeth after flying it! It is a sweet machine. Going to add the turbulators today and try a hook up with my buddy tommorrow. Kind of hard to fly and tape at the same time.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:47 PM
GallopingGhost

ORIGINAL: 3DownLow

Almost have to brush your teeth after flying it! It is a sweet machine. Going to add the turbulators today and try a hook up with my buddy tommorrow. Kind of hard to fly and tape at the same time.
Hack a CVS Camcorder and Velro it around your forehead. It sees whatever you do. You may feel a little goofy doing it but it works great and your hands are free.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:41 PM
3DownLow

Used to have a video helmet with cam bolted on top. Also had antenae from video system on it too. No wonder my neck would hurt after about 10 min.! Tried it didn't like it. Besides my friend Blake is a way better pilot than I am so I'd rather video and have him fly. Here's an example:
http://rcuvideos.com/item/9VXFT34WYPBHHNCK
When I fly, people usually come up after the flight and say..."Nice plane." After he flies it, they all want one.
Going to meet up with him tommorrow so I'll shoot some then. It'll be worth the wait trust me. Haven't finished fine tuning the plane yet either. Installing turbulators/air brakes and moving motor 1" forward. 3D's great at the previous setting but it's tail heavy and doesn't track just right yet for pattern. The battery and motor mount being moved forward should do the trick. Later!
Old 06-25-2007, 07:57 AM
3DownLow

Wouldn't you know as soon as the flight started wind started blowing. Gusted to over 20 mph by the end of the flight. The Clik seemed to take it in stride(thanks to Blake's thumbs). Also tested out some turbulators by taping them on. Good thing=there needs to be more of them,larger fins, and more toe-in(45 deg). Back to the drawing board. Slowed downlines somewhat, but needs more braking. Also 13 x 4 prop seemed to work out well providing more constant speed and not taxing the ESC. Sorry for the lack of 3D but the wind sort of took the fun out of it. Will improve the aerodynamics a bit and retest. Also moved motor and pack forward 1-1/4" to improve tracking. Promise some better video too.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1365181

Name:	Sq45687.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	710556  
Old 06-25-2007, 05:52 PM
GallopingGhost

MMMM, flys nice and slow with a with a stable flight envelope. Thats what I like!
Old 06-25-2007, 06:04 PM
3DownLow

Just need to slow the downlines and it'll be just about right for a foamie! I love the slow harriers in small spaces, makes this plane look big right in your face. I need a 3D/pattern beater plane and this one made it to the top of the pile. Now I need to get another project off the bench before the Clik XXL. That's going to take up some bench space! I'm thinking it will have to have some depron/skeletonized blucore sandwich construction to lighten things up a bit. Probably have a carbon tube down the length of the fuselage too as well as 2 carbon wing tubes.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:08 PM
GallopingGhost

when do we get the next video?
Old 06-26-2007, 07:12 PM
3DownLow

Damn, you people are demanding! I'm working on the newer vortex generators now. Ran out of 6mm. Hey, I gotta work like everybody else to pay for my habit. If it wasn't for work, I'd be modeling/flying 24/7/365! I still run on about 3-4hrs of sleep a night running my own business so it leaves little time for modeling[:-]. Suffice to say "I'm workin' on it!" Should have some more vid posted by this weekend and I'm sure Blake would smack me in the head for posting the last bad video, but it got the point across that the Clik XL is a step in the right direction. He would like to see better servos on it. The HS-65MG's and 85MG's on it don't quite cut the mustard in his book but that's all I had laying around the shop so that's what went in. I'm sure he'll pimp out the Clik XL next time....
Old 06-26-2007, 08:55 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Love the shirt!!!!!!!!!!!
The clik's not too bad either!!

Chris
Old 06-26-2007, 09:23 PM
GallopingGhost

Would it help if I whined a bit? Waaaaawaaa video video......
Old 06-27-2007, 07:08 AM
3DownLow

Blake made that shirt.LOL And no whining won't work! Doesn't work for my kids and it won't work now! I just finished the VG's last night. I'll post some pics in a little bit. They should help put the brakes on.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:17 PM
3DownLow

Here's some shots of the newer VG's. These are about 3 times more area each and there's 4 more sets so hopefully this will provide enough braking. If they work then I'll add the permanent 6mm ones. Will resume testing and shoot some video soon as work allows. [:@]

Name:	Db86423.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	712301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89043.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	712302  
Old 06-27-2007, 04:59 PM
GallopingGhost

That wing looks like its busy with all that drag stuff going on. Let us know if it works..
Old 06-27-2007, 06:07 PM
3DownLow

Yeah it sure does look busy. Believe me, I wouldn't go to all this trouble for looks! If I think it will make a superb airplane out of it then that's the way it looks. The other smaller VG's definitely helped out just not as much as anticipated. Trying to slow it down and retain 3D capability is the goal. If these prove to be too big then its an easy thing to cut them down to size. Apparently these are used on full scale aircraft( with VG's smaller in size than mine) to help keep the laminar flow attached at high alpha angles. So far they have proven to help out. Course the plane is ready but as I look out the window I can see the trees bending over[:@]. Tomorrow is supposed to rain all day, boooo!
Old 06-28-2007, 01:07 AM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Rain???

What's that???

Are you concerned of all the drag on the bottom side of the wing with none on the top?? Therefore causing up ele trim.. Or some other weird things?

Great plane.. I'm going to order some depron when I get back from the pattern contest in Fresno this weekend!!!!!

You're an inspiration!

Thanks

Chris
Old 06-28-2007, 01:15 PM
3DownLow

Should have posted a picture of the front view, there's a matching bottom set too! Wouldn't want any adverse pitch would we? I imagine someone could lighten the airframe considerabley, but I like the way it flies now. A lighter plane would be fun too but this was just a testbed, so I didn't go all out lightening the structure and after the video the other day I'm glad I made it a little chunky. It's actually lighter than say the Vanquish or the upcoming Element F3A, with more wing area and better 3D ability. Same power system too. The larger version will definitely have some type of skeletonized structure but since we're trying to build the airplane around the power system, it's still going to weight 7-8lbs. Still a giant scale F3P/freestyle plane @ 8lbs would still be a hoot to fly! I'm thinking of a more affordable outdoor pattern event(maybe one design-Clik!) using larger foamies F3P(F3O?) style. I can't see investing 2-4 grand into a ship I love to fly but won't compete with that much. But if you just want to learn (slow) pattern F3A/P flying, this may be your plane. Airframes certainly won't break the bank! And YS-1.60-70's aren't cheap either. Much as I like to (try) and pattern fly I can't justify the cost. With the VG's on it seems to give a more constant speed envelope, which makes you look like you know what you're doing. Still a fun project, can't wait to fly the big one!
Old 07-10-2007, 07:28 AM
3DownLow

Here's some more video. ESC was giving intermittent problems traced to a hairline crack in a prop. Will grab some more APC's and a Xoar prop to test out next time.
http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/DPK4YGFXMSKHC8FY
Old 07-10-2007, 08:09 AM
chazdraves

Some nice flying, Sir! It seems to be a real stable bugger, even if it is a little odd looking

Good luck!
- Chaz
Old 07-11-2007, 12:10 AM
3DownLow

ORIGINAL: chazdraves

Some nice flying, Sir! It seems to be a real stable bugger, even if it is a little odd looking

Good luck!
- Chaz
That's my buddy Blake Hilson on the sticks. He's a smooth flyer for sure. And me personally, I don't care what they look like as long as they fly well! Yeah it needs some LG, but works OK for a testbed. I need a stable 3D/pattern platform to help out my lack of flying skills. I must say this plane is one of the easiest planes to hover I've flown. And if it's easy for me then someone like Blake can make it look real good. Works the other way around for me, the plane makes me look good!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.