Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

flash foamie from r/c factory

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

flash foamie from r/c factory

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Flyin C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: flash foamie from r/c factory

Old 06-18-2008, 07:48 PM
sb13
My Feedback: (52)

I'm using a pull pull on the rudder and elevator on this one. All I have to do is hook those up and the aileron linkage and it's finished. This one weighs 13.6 ounces including the battery but minus the prop, aileron linkages and the pull pull set up. All control horns are in. It's going to be a light one which is what I wanted for flying in my back yard. Light wing loading means slow flights and GREAT 3D!
Old 06-19-2008, 08:52 PM
sb13

Mine is finished and it's 13.7 ounces. My other was 13.8 so I did'nt really get it any lighter. I did add a couple of things I felt was needed so thats where the added weight came in but it is .1 lighter than the last with the 3 extra mods I made. All I have to do now is set it up in my radio and maiden it on a calm day. Can't wait.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Flyin C

my pull pull on the elevator is working perfectly. I used the included little servo horn peices and its works great. Then i used pins and EZ connectors on the rudder, they are somewhat tight before flight, and after they are soo loose. Then the next day i fly they are all somewhat tight again?!
Old 06-21-2008, 05:17 PM
sb13

I've always noticed that the temp makes a difference with the kevlar I use for my pull pull systems. It will get loose and tight with the change of the temp but usually not that huge of a difference. My set up is super adjustable and only takes about 45 seconds to adjust if ever needed. I might adjust them maybe once every several weeks or so once we have consistant temps. No biggie. I flew mine yesterday and today and it's awsome. Still need a calm day to really trim it and do some mixing for knife edge, won't take much.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:43 PM
sb13

Made a CG adjustment tonight and I'm still a little tail heavy, one more adjustment and I'll be in the money. It's amazing how much the CG changes the coupling in knife edge. It's common sense but I'll say it anyway. Don't ever mix for knife edge flight until your CG is perfect. The change I made tonight took out almost all the coupling and after the next adjustment I'll hardly need any mix at all I'm assuming. I did trim a little foam off the nose to bring my motor closer to the fuse on this one. What this helped over my first one I built was allowing alot tighter waterfalls and it really does help with hovering. I've always noticed with all my foamies that the more of a stub nose sort of speak that you have the better the plane does certain moves. I only cut about a 1/4 inch or so and can see the difference over my first Flash that I built not trimming the nose. Make sure you cut it to allow for the right thrust needed if you attempt this. This Flash will do waterfalls so tight it's like it's rotating on the wing tube if it had one and that is without losing any altitude what so ever. Inverted harriers are wicked good at 13.7 ounces too. Keep it light for the best 3D and you'll be happy you did it.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:22 AM
sb13

Another change made was to balance it laterally. I noticed it was off and fixed it but have'nt flown it yet. Should help in certain moves.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:39 AM
cliorc

Scott,sounds like a winner.On my Flash,I think it took a dime and nickel to get the lateral balance right.I put the battery on it,and then used a string with long needles on the end of them ,put one in the middle of front of fuse and the other in the center of the rudder area ,set different amounts on the wing tip til I got it,then cut a slit in the foam and pushed them in.Olin
Old 06-24-2008, 08:58 AM
sb13

Olin, I took a dime in one wing tip and that was all it needed. It was becouse the elevator servo along with the receiver and ESC were all on the same side of the fuse. I cut a circle the size of the dime out of the bottom of the wing tip and then glued the dime in. I then took the cut out circle of foam and glued it back on over the dime so it's not seen. Worked well, just need to fly it now. I have alot more throw on the rudder and elevaltor on this one too. It did'nt really need it but I got it so I'll use it to the max for 3D. I have seen too much throw actaully not be a good thing even for 3D so I'll adjust it as I see needed. Good to hear from you by the way.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:55 PM
sb13

I finally have the Flash dailed in. About 3 CG changes I guess in all and it's there. This thing flys so much better with a more foward CG versus it being on the tail heavy side. Even for 3D it's all around better. What a great EPP plane to have.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Flyin C

I really need to get my Flash dialed in. I have heard so many people saying that the finally did finish the 'fine tuining' of the Flash and say how much better it flys. Im not the most experienced at this but am a great flyer. I have been messing with the CG and love how easy it is to hover with the batter back, but as i read your post and how you said the 'coupling in KE' i did relize how much harder it was to KE with the battery back.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:56 PM
sb13

Where is yours balanced?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:57 AM
oosel
My Feedback: (4)

I just finished my flash. Figured I would post some pic's I went with the push pull tail. And made removable motor mount with hollow carbon fiber and epoxied threaded rod into them. So far I am really happy with the way it flies. It was kinds my first plane I had to build so you will notice a few mistakes like the servo location for the rudder. I also made my rudder and elevator servo's removable by gluing in pieces of doll rod and painting them black, then the servo just screws in.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:20 PM
cliorc

Nice looking plane.Olin
Old 03-18-2009, 04:28 PM
sb13

Olin, I'm building another one as we speak. My old one is getting beat up. Nice looking build for your first one ever oosel. One thing to remember on any plane is to keep your servo mounted 90 degrees to the hinge line. Don't worry though, yours will be fine. I love this plane, it's the best I have found for flying around in my yard. It takes one heck of a beating as olin and I both know. Enjoy!!