Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Precision Aerobatics Addiction

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Precision Aerobatics Addiction

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Coonak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Precision Aerobatics Addiction

ORIGINAL: Steve GW

I've heard a lot about the Addiction and now have decided to buy one. Should I purchase the iPA Pro Package, or would you reccomend buying a motor/battery package that has better performance and price tag?
Hey Steve,
Congrats on deciding to get an Addiction. You are in for a treat!
Iwould go the iPA Pro Package so you can be assured the plane will fly exactly how it was intended.
I did, and have never had a single issue with the powersystem.
In fact, the same motor/esc combo has moved into it's 3rd Addiction frame and still going like new!
As far as battery goes, the PA V2 Lipo's are as good as any other brand I have tried. I also use 2200mah batts in windy conditions.
Good luck.
Mick

Old 06-26-2009, 01:38 PM
jumper666

removed
Old 06-28-2009, 06:24 PM
lokiyawl
My Feedback: (10)

Hello,

Between the wife and I we have 4 built Addictions and a spare kit coming since I ended up giving my old spare kit to a friend who didn't want to wait on the shipping. (grin) I built all of my Addictions using the factory IPA's while the wife went with a larger motor (Park 480), heavier servos (HS-65's) and larger batteries. After more than 100 hours of flying and more than a few encounters with Terra Firma I can say that lightness with this plane is a really good thing so I would highly recomend going with the IPA. The airframe is very refined and if you start modifying things, it will likely end up weaker, heavier or both. The firewall is of course pre-drilled for the T-20 and there is not really any extra material to drill more holes. I have 150+ flights on the 5 PA 1800's I have been flying and not one has failed yet, so they are pretty good. I have noticed that the servos will sometimes need a click or two of trim which seems to be temperature related but they are fast, light and fit right into the cutouts without any mods. I don't fly the Addiction as much as I used to but everyime I do I am reminded of why I need to be sure to always have one of these ready to go..they are a blast! I would suggest to anyone considering this kit to buy two airframes right up front so that you have a replacement for anything that could happen. Best of luck with it!

James
Old 07-11-2009, 08:38 PM
jumper666

Finished mine today. Will be several days before it can have its maiden.

Motor: Scorpion 3008-32 Brushless Outrunner
AUW 26 oz
ESC: 40A
RX: AR7000
Batteries: 25C 3S 1300mAh - 2100mAh Lipo
Prop: APC 11 x 5.5E
RX: Castle
Servos: Hitec HS-65HB
Power test: Flitmax 1300mAh ~ 314 watts/28 amps

I REALLY like Scorpion motors. Randy at the link below will QUICKLY help you with choosing the correct motor for any project you might have. Check out his site's pages of customer's acft:

http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/StoreFront

gb
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46876.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1234131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98505.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1234132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34114.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1234133  
Old 07-13-2009, 12:29 AM
RCDudeHobbies

Ah my favorite plane. I have hundreds of flights on my Addiction. Can't believe it's lasted this long when I'm almost always wild with it. I'm totally ready to buy a new one if I ever kill it. I would like to get blue (mine is red). My setup is quite similar - Scorpion 3008-32, Scorpion 35A ESC, APC 11x4.7 Slo, 3S 35C 1600mah lipo. Started with an 1800mah lipo but 1600 is much lighter and still gives me over 10 minutes of hard 3D.

GB - I'll get your Addiction added to the Scorpion page. Will be the third one, but they are all different colors and slightly different setups with the same motor.

[link=http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/.fc11dfa2/the-template/ScorpionSetups/Page]Scorpion Powered Models Webpage[/link]

Randy
Old 07-13-2009, 09:11 AM
jumper666

Yes, Randy. Saw the other Addictions on your site. Thought you needed a purple one.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:34 PM
dstrat1

Anyone had any problems communication with the PA office? I ordered a n Addiction last week and have emailed and phoned to find out if they got my order, and have everything in stock, and not backordered, but no answer from anyone , no email, no phone, no order confirmation.........................
Old 07-13-2009, 04:17 PM
jumper666

My only experience with PA was ordering my Addiction. It showed up but it took a good while. I have batteries from China come in faster. Once the plane arrived, I really liked it.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:39 PM
LVS
My Feedback: (6)

did you ever hear from them. I am thinking about ordering myself.

ORIGINAL: dstrat1

Anyone had any problems communication with the PA office? I ordered a n Addiction last week and have emailed and phoned to find out if they got my order, and have everything in stock, and not backordered, but no answer from anyone , no email, no phone, no order confirmation.........................
Old 07-25-2009, 10:20 AM
dstrat1

yes , they had an order come in the week after..should be no problem,, my order came as advertised, nicely packed, complete, and high quality......
Old 07-29-2009, 08:13 PM
AnAlternateEgo

I just got an addiction used. I am trying to get ahold of a manual but i haven't had any luck yet. Where is the cg supposed to be on this plane? the guy that had it b4 me used a 1325mah battery, i am going to put a 2100mah battery in it, any advice on where i mount it for the best cg? Im using a spektrum 6100 reciever, do most people us sticky tape to secure it or just wrap it in foam? Thanks for all the advice.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:46 PM
RCDudeHobbies

I just got my new Addiction yesterday so since I already have the manual in front of me I thought I would let you know that the CG is 100-105mm measured from the leading edge of the wing tip.

I started with a 3S 2200mah on mine but it was a little heavy. 1300mah sounds a little too small. I've been using a 1600mah now and it seems just right. I get a strong 10 minutes of hard 3D and still dont hit the cut-off point.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:54 PM
AnAlternateEgo

Thanks man!
Old 07-29-2009, 09:28 PM
willi

I didn't have time to read this whole thread but I had a problem today. I was flying along 3/4 throttle (12x3.8 slow fly prop) and did a "cut throttle snap roll" and the left wing broke OFF. Have other had or heard of this problem?

Robby
Old 07-30-2009, 09:39 AM
aerofundan

ORIGINAL: willi

I didn't have time to read this whole thread but I had a problem today. I was flying along 3/4 throttle (12x3.8 slow fly prop) and did a ''cut throttle snap roll'' and the left wing broke OFF. Have other had or heard of this problem?

Robby
This is the first time i ever hear this and this airplane has been out now for over 2 years, please contact PA inmediately i'm completely sure they will take care of you.

DAniel
Old 07-30-2009, 04:49 PM
willi

I've tried last nigh to email PA and none of their email address listed on their website would work, got a failure notice with each one I tried. It sure work a lot better when Atlanta Hobby had the USA rights.

Robby
Old 07-30-2009, 08:20 PM
jumper666

I'd been considering another PA acft. However, if there is little to no after purchase customer service, it will make me think twice.

gb
Old 07-30-2009, 10:03 PM
willi

I emailed Steve about my Addiction that folded up like a cheep unbrella doing a snap roll.

A friend ordered an Addiction he saw mine fly. He waited 2 months for the plane, they waited to ship the plane when the prop he ordered came in. PA has got great great plane, motores, and esc ...but looks like they may be kind of hard to deal with here in the USA.

Robby
Old 07-31-2009, 03:27 AM
Precision Aerobatics

Hi Robby

We received your email at 10pm GA time. It went to the Junk mail folder which happens every once in a while. We check our junk mail folder frequently and we found your email tonight – so you would have got a response the following morning anyway.
We receive and answer many emails daily.

Sorry to read about your incident, for sure not a pleasant one.
Having said that, you were using a larger propeller than the recommended one.
You were using a 12x3.8SF propeller. We never recommended any larger than 11x3.8SF (if slow flyer is being used with the V2 Lipo packs). Even with this prop - 11x3.8SF - throttle discretion is required. Another thing you mentioned is that you preformed a snap roll at ¾ of throttle. ¾ of throttle with 12x3.8SF is certainly not a slow one, and yes you may exceed the aerodynamic loads on the wings.

Another question here is what set up was used in the airplane. Mainly which motor?

We had only two broken Addiction wing cases in all of the thousands we sold. One happened due to a cracked wing root (from shipping damage) and the second case due to a cracked wing root caused by forcing the wing panel onto the CF tube (which is why we added an addendum to the manual saying to be careful when fitting the wing panels onto the wing tube, and in a case of a tight fit to lightly sand the wing tube with sand paper until a snug fit is achieved).

Please understand, every airframe (just like any full size airplane) has its aerodynamic limits. With the Addiction huge control surfaces, control deflections and powerful power plant, we can exceed easily the flight loads. Therefore we all need to consider when and how we push the plane and to follow the recommended set up.

Again I’m sorry about your mishap. I’m just pointing out the dry facts here.

Shaun
Precision Aerobatics Team
Old 08-01-2009, 07:15 AM
willi

Thanks Shaun for your response. While I do agree that I exceeded the structural limits of the Addiction I don’t agree that the prop had much to do with the failure. I use an 11x4.7 slow fly too and that prop may have weakened the wings over time too. As far as that goes, I’m sure I could break an Addiction with any prop.

I want to get another Addiction, but I seems that everyone I know that has order one after Atlanta Hobby lost their deal with you has had some issue. Kind of like when you go to a restaurant and have great food but the service sucked. This is a hobby and when people pull the trigger to buy a plane they want it know when their new baby will arrive.

Tell you the truth, every modeler that has seen my Addiction or 260 fly has wanted one or said that their next plane would be one. I just wish I could be as high on you customer service as I am with your products. You really need to take a hard look at how Atlanta Hobby did things and copy it, steal it, or just plain give the distribution back to them.

Robby
Old 08-01-2009, 08:17 AM
jpitt57488

I just thought I would mention that I purchased an AMR from PA here in the states and I had no issues. I purchased for my dad for xmas. We live in GA about an hour away from their location. My dad discovered a problem with one of the parts (don't remember the details) and one of the guys met him half way with a replacement part. In my opinion, they went above and beyond.

I'm not saying others haven't had genuine problems, but I jut thought I would mention that I had a good experience dealing with them.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Precision Aerobatics

ORIGINAL: willi

I want to get another Addiction, but I seems that everyone I know that has order one after Atlanta Hobby lost their deal with you has had some issue.

Robby
I agree with you that many people who ordered our models FROM ATLANTA HOBBY recently had problems with the kits. To understand why - I suggest you read this post on RCG which gives more details also why we are no longer dealing with them.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...950918&page=11

Since we start dealing directly in the US we sold many many kits with no issues at all, and our customers are satisfied from the service as well (thank you jpitt57488 for your post).

Shaun
Precision Aerobatics Team

Old 08-02-2009, 08:55 PM
RCDudeHobbies

I ordered my Addiction last week directly from PA and the order was processed right away and delivered in a reasonable amount of time all the way here in Oregon. This was a replacement for my Addiction that I had hundreds of flights on. A tree finally got ahold of it and violently spit it out after chewing it up for several hours (OK - I flew it into a tree). I maidened it a couple days ago and it's just like an old friend except nice blue color now.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Precision Aerobatics

ORIGINAL: RCDudeHobbies

A tree finally got ahold of it and violently spit it out after chewing it up for several hours (OK - I flew it into a tree). I maidened it a couple days ago and it's just like an old friend except nice blue color now.

LOL
Old 08-02-2009, 11:45 PM
jumper666

Randy, we have a couple of plane eating trees at our field. Skip forward to approx 7:26.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpo8e3frzDw

I would NEVER fly into a tree: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjKJgcXCqo0

gb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.