Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Extreme flight yak 54e First flight!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Extreme flight yak 54e First flight!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 09:19 PM
surfrjeff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme flight yak 54e First flight!

Hey I have been told of some people having a canopy problem, Should I open up some holes in the bottom so my canopy does not come flying off?

Thanks, Jeff
Old 05-18-2008, 09:56 PM
jrwilliams27

Default RE: Extreme flight yak 54e First flight!

Is yours the version 2 with a canopy latch? If it has the latch, I would just open the 2 smaller bays on the bottom and not worry about it. But if you do not have a latch, then, yes, I would open up a few more outlets in the fuse. Also, a fast trick is to put tape on the front of the canopy or top half of the cowl to limit the amount of air being sucked in. Hope this helps.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:59 AM
surfrjeff

Well my Canopy didnt come off but my motor smoked at about thirty feet, luckily it was windy and she floated in till about 6 feet then dropped, this is a strong plane I just bent the landing gear.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:41 PM
jrwilliams27

Bummer, was it a Torque motor? My gear has taken a beating as well. I'm glad that it is does bend back easily. The only drawback with the gear is that it starts bending easily. I just received CF legs for it today and am upgrading the setup. This should be a bit lighter, flex, but no bend. Hope you get the motor fixed soon. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:57 AM
surfrjeff

Well it was the second first flight Cg was good and she was off like a rocket this plane is fast im running the Rimfire 35-36-1200 with a 12x6e and can fly it around at 1/4 stick this thing has power.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:49 AM
Doc Austin

This is the simple canopy latch that we used on our 3D Hobby Shop Yak 54, but it will work just as well on the Extreme Flight Yak. It is a simple landing gear strap screwed right into the turtle deck. Swing it to one side for it to open....

And swing it to the other for it to latch the canopy down tight. Never fails.......

ORIGINAL: surfrjeff

Well my Canopy didnt come off but my motor smoked at about thirty feet, luckily it was windy and she floated in till about 6 feet then dropped, this is a strong plane I just bent the landing gear.
The Extreme Flight motors are usually bulletproof. Did you have any cooling exits opened up? If not, that will blow anything up pretty quick.

If you did have the proper coolinhg exits cut open? If so, you've got a very rare Extreme Flight failure and I am sure they will make it right. Extreme Flight service is as good as their products.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:26 PM
surfrjeff

Well i was not using an extreme flight motor, it was a rimfire, I cut out holes for cooling she flies great just does not like to land slow!!

Thanks, Jeff
Old 05-25-2008, 05:19 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just maidened my Yak this morning ... set up is as follows:

Motor: DualSky XM3548-5
ESC: Himodel 60A
Batt: Flight Power EVO25 4S 2,500
RX batt: 5 cell NiMH 1,100 mAh ... going to use AAA 1,000 mAh later on
Servo: HS65
Prop: 13x6.5

I got 55A out of her giving me no less than 700W. I find that the plane is really easy to fly. Landings were not that fast for me and it was gentle enough but this plane is not like the EF Extra 300, that plane feels so much more gentle. I only had 1 flght and she feels solid and handles very different from the smaller Extra brother. I too had a canopy ejection problem, I flew slow then hit the throttle, guess the canopy will pop as I did not put up any baffle or cut the outlets on the fuse.

Flying IMAC on her is 'interesting'. My plane is still slightly nose heavy so some of the maneuvers were not that precise. The Yak holds a really good KE like the Extra ... nice and solid. Stall turns, Reversed Cubans, Split S etc are easily executed. Now to put in more flight time and move the CG a little farther back.

My only issues with the plane is that servo wells are a little small for a HS65 ... why can't they make it to fit properly when many have done so? This is the same problem with the Extra 300. Its most frustrating as the planes are truyl fragile to attain such a low weight.