Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Mods or Upgrades for Typhoon 2 3D?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Mods or Upgrades for Typhoon 2 3D?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 10:26 AM
pileosticks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods or Upgrades for Typhoon 2 3D?

Hey all,

My lovely wife just ordered me a Typhoon 2 3D for fathers day. I have been out of R/C for about 5 years and wanted to get back into the hobby. This seems like a reasonably good plane for the $'s. I have read on these forums about the servo issues with the orig Typhoon but it seems on the Typhoon 2 they have addressed these problems. I will make sure the control surfaces are "broken in" and moving freely to avoid binding. (would you recommend "re-hinging" the elevator? maybe cut it off completely and re-attach it with a good quality tape?)

My question is for anyone who owns and is currently flying this plane, are there any other "mods" that I should consider? (other than upgrading the servo's) Or are any mods/upgrades even necessary? Is there a better motor? any airframe mods? Building tips?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, this is my first electric plane. I used to fly mainly Morris hobbies type profiles and asst 3D type glow planes.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:15 PM
chizekaero

Default RE: Mods or Upgrades for Typhoon 2 3D?

I put mine together according to the instructions and wouldn't change a thing. As your post is 10 days old, I'm sure you're together by now (I was together in less trhan an hour). Since it's been 5 years for you, I would advise to put all the pushrods in the shortest holes on the servos and the longest ones on the horns PLUS use low rates. It's a little twitchy at first but I'm sure it will all come back to you.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:41 AM
bboykin

hope to receive my typhoon2 this week would like to know how easy was yours to fly first time. have trainer plane experience fuel and electric just wandering about speed and ease of control on low rates.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:41 AM
pileosticks

Thanks for the reply, and yes I am flying it. It's very gentle on low rates and really wild on high. If you are flying a trainer you should have no problems with this plane on low rates. And I had no problems whatsoever getting back into flying with this plane after a 5 year absence. I was a little nervouse on the first take off, but quickly fell right back into the groove after a flight or two. After 4 or 5 flights I am hovering and torque rolling at or below eye level again. As I have never owned a foam plane (or an electric) I was a little concerned about the way the plane went together (TAPE the horizontal stab on??) but it has proven to be very sturdy. And the included motor/gearbox/ prop combo delivers PLENTY of power, much better than I expected. I am really enjoying this plane and have not experienced any of the electronics problems found here on the forums about Parkzone products (servo's failing, ESC's exploding, Radio glitches etc...). As mentioned in the above post, the plane went together very quickly (took me longer to charge the battery than to build the plane). All in all I think it was a very good purchase that haas gotten me back into flying at a minimal cost. Unfortunately, I now have "the bug" again and am already looking for my "next" purchase (man, my wife is PISSED!). Oh well, you only live once.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:17 PM
chizekaero

I agree with pileosticks reply below your post. I had not flown for 3 years when I got my Typhoon2 3D. My first flight was in the wind, control throws too high and highly untrimmed. I had a huge case of nerves on the first flight and decided to land in less than a minute. I lowered the throws, fixed the trim and waited for a calm day. It went better but still had butterflies in the gut.

I've flown it now a dozen times and really like it but it is a handul on high rates. The Typhoon2 3D will MAKE you a better flier. I have not had any of the grief I've read about on other posts (ESC smoke, radio glitch, dead servos). This plane is a very good deal unless you already own a radio, batteries, ESC and a motor.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:28 PM
chizekaero

The Typhoon regenerated my interest, too. I have owned foam before and never liked them as much as the Typhoon. Nevertheless, I'm going back to wood. Hobby Lobby has marked down their all wood Fury from $129 to $69. It's lighter than the Typhoon, more wing, less drag, more motor and shouldn't be as sloppy in the air. I'm using a Park 480 1020kv, otherwise I'm swapping the battery, ESC and radio from the Typhoon to ease the sticker shock on my wife.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/fury.htm
Old 06-23-2008, 07:57 PM
bboykin

thanks for confidence about flying this plane. have any of you threw this plane for takeoff without landing gear. where i fly it is hayfields no good takeoff surfaces around except hiway then have to fly over clearcut forest with small trees and stumps.

thanks bobby
Old 06-23-2008, 08:55 PM
chizekaero

Bobby

I have not hand launched but I think it would launch easy especially if a helper did the launching. I think you would need both hands on th TX because the ailerons need constant input. You could launch near vertical.

On the plus side, I don't think you could ever damage the plane flying over hay. You could leave the gear off to save weight.

Jeff
Old 06-24-2008, 06:17 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: bboykin

thanks for confidence about flying this plane. have any of you threw this plane for takeoff without landing gear. where i fly it is hayfields no good takeoff surfaces around except hiway then have to fly over clearcut forest with small trees and stumps.

thanks bobby
Hand launching is no problem. It just flies off your hand at less than full throttle.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:05 AM
pileosticks

Chizekaero,

that fury looks really nice for 69$, do you think the 480 motor / gearbox from the typhoon would work well in this plane??? If so, I could just buy the Fury and use all the gear from the Typhoon (at some point in the future). I might order a Fury and keep it in the box until the Typhoon is ready to retire and then just swap all the gear. What do you think??
Old 06-24-2008, 06:33 PM
bboykin

one more question about typhoon 2. which prop did you start out with speed or 3d. received mine today hope to try out tomorrow. also received 3-4 xtra props as special of some kind. always need extra plane in box then doin-t hve to wait on express truck to fly
Old 06-24-2008, 07:12 PM
chizekaero

pileosticks

I almost went that way myself, but the Typhoon motor is a 400. I think it would work, but I popped the extra $69 for the Park 480 1020 kV. The T-28 has a slightly lower Amp version of the 480 and I would have used it if I had it on hand. The Typhoon servos are OK but I was going to use HS-65s until I walked into the local Hobby Store today. I picked up 4 BlueBird servos for $13@. They spec out better than the HS-65 and feel very tight. They weigh 13g vs the HiTec 11.2g. I've used them before and was happy with them, especially with the price.

I would buy the Fury now while it is still available. They've done the $69 sale before and might do it again but you can't be sure. They no longer offer the red version so this could be a clearance. I think mine will be here tomorrow so I'll let you know.

Jeff
Old 06-24-2008, 07:20 PM
chizekaero

Bobby

I started with the 13" prop and was amazed at the pull/climb rate. I did not like the extra torq, however. I had to trim the ailerons quite a bit to straighten it out. The 12" prop isn't really a speed prop and is said to be the best match for the LiPo cells. I switched to the 12" after 2 flights and have to say I like it better Still plenty of vertical climb. Whichever prop you use, make sure it's tight. Mine came loose in the air. I used Locktite the second time and have had no problems since.

One last tip: you have to land with a little power on or it will stall when you try to flare.

Jeff