Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

3D hobby shop combo question

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

3D hobby shop combo question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:05 PM
pilot511
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D hobby shop combo question

I was looking to get either this

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=2422
Extra 300

OR

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=2436
Extra 300 combo(this one has different motor/higher speed control, would it be that significant of a difference??)

OR

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=2435
(edge 540 combo)

I am new to electrics and mainly have big gas planes, but not long ago I got a e-flite extra260 which got me hooked on these little 3d machines...Any help would be great, thanks.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:35 PM
jumper666

Default RE: 3D hobby shop combo question

I have both 3DHS's Extra 300 SHP 47" and Sukhoi 26 49". LIKE them both. My bet is no matter which of 3DHS's acft you purchase, you will be PLEASED. In my opinion, of the acft you listed, get the Extra 300 SHP. If you have set up questions, drop 3DHS an email. They have been PROMPT getting back to me. Check their site, right now they may be attending an event.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68276.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1117183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65898.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1117184  
Old 01-22-2009, 10:57 PM
Eganwp

I don't have any of them, but from my research and talking with people:

SHP: best for learning 3D. Amazingly stable and gentle flier. Easiest of all their planes to 3D with, as it's the most mild. Best however to advance your skills the fastest in the beginning because it is easier. Don't mistake mild/easy with a boring plane however! This is likely the most popular 3D ship ever sold in this hobby.

SR: Same as SHP but with airfoiled tail surfaces for more extreme manouvers. Slightly better at the hybrid IMAC and 3D than the SHP. Often guys run 4s on this plane for an extreme and insane combo. Good choice for someone who wants to be challenged indefinately, over the SHP.

Velox: Most extreme tumbler, but shorter fuse for better 3D but poor for IMAC/pattern. This would be a good choice for the advanced 3D pilot who likes to tumble!

Edge: Quoted by a few as the best 3DHS made. However, I have heard that about all their planes, so go figure. Not exactly sure how this one handles, but one guy I talked to that has all 4 of the above liked the Edge the best.

Slick: Gentle but precise. I don't have a lot of info on this one yet however.

Anyways, not inducive, but hope that helps your decision! Best thing I'd do is watch all the videos on their site, as they fly each plane to its potential. You'll be able to see the things I've mentioned above also.

Eganwp
Old 01-24-2009, 03:59 PM
relax1
My Feedback: (32)

I have flown quite a few electric aerobatic airplanes. But 3d hobby seems to have the best design out there. You cant go wrong with any of there airframes. For me the Extra-SR is my favorite. Great cross between precision and 3d. Which is the style of flying I enjoy. Here is a link to videos from the Zephyr electric flying. I'm doing a noontime demo with my SR. http://www.manatee-rc.com/Flight/ZEPHYR.html
Luis
Old 01-25-2009, 08:54 PM
pilot511

Thanks for all the feedback the Extra is probably the direction Im going to go