Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

great planes sukoi

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 03:40 PM
magnum500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default great planes sukoi

does anyone have this aircrart ? the greatplanes electrifly su31 . i just ordered one today and hope it is a good choice . i needed a replacement for my e-flite bipe
any input is always appreciated
Old 05-26-2009, 02:23 PM
russaz1911
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: great planes sukoi

I have the great planes Yak-54. I really love the plane but must admit that I was disapointed in the covering. It is a very low temp covering so go slowley when you are removing the winkles and make sure that all of the edges of the grafics are stuck well before you finish building the plane. I am very impressed with how the plane flys. I used an E-Flite park 480 that came off of my E-Flite Extra 260. I was not impressed with the way the Extra flew but it was easyer to assemble than the great planes. The first thing that I would do before I flew the SU is make sure that the trim is easily identifiable as to top from bottom. I enede up puting dark blue lines on the bottom of the wing but the SU doesn't have all the clear covering that my Yak has. I'm sure you'll enjoy the plane. They are awsome flyers.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:29 PM
fadi

Looking seriously to buy that plane too
Looks sharp, and promising.

Let us know how it flies and build... I am really interested.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:45 PM
magnum500

thanks for the input ! i`ll do a build thread on this . i should have it in a day or so . my next question is will my e-flight  esc and outrunner be enough to power this plane ? i have a 950 kv motor , it calls for 1250 kv .

Old 05-28-2009, 02:59 PM
russaz1911

I am using a Park 480 1020kv motor with an eflite 40 amp ES and APC 11x4.7 SF prop. I like the setup but wouldn't use any less power. As it is it takes close to 3/4 throttle to hover but it will still pull out vertical nicely. I am going to be moving my CG back 1/2" to see if I can get more radical performance out of it. If I were going to be putting a new motor on it I would go with a little more powerful setup but for now this one works well. I almost forgot to mention that I switched from a 2170mah battery to a 1800mah. The 1800 is 1.3oz less weight and makes the plane feel much lighter in the air. I would shoot for a battery that weighs 5.5oz or less. I have considered a 1500mah but I am worried about my flight time being to short.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:00 PM
russaz1911

Oh yeah....put a micro tail wheel on the plane. I broke my tail skid on the 2nd landing when I turned it around to bring back to me.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:32 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

I'm just finishing up a review that will be in the magazine section after I submit it.

My tail skid didn't hold up on anything but grass.

For the CG I ended up with the 2100 mah battery all the way back against the wing tube for 3d but it flew fine with the cg up farther.

High rates on this plane and it will get jiggy, it does better blenders than any plane I've flown or owned before.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:15 PM
magnum500

i did not think the skid would be a good idea , i canabelized the tail wheel off a crashed e-flight pits . thats is what i was putting on there to replace that skid
Old 05-29-2009, 08:43 PM
magnum500

just received the plane todat and all i have to say wow ! typical great planes quality . covering A-1 . a very sharp plane ! started to prefit all the parts today .will post some pics in the next day or so
Old 06-11-2009, 07:47 AM
magnum500

this plane is a bit difficult to balance is anyone else haveing this trouble ? from level if you touch the nose it will fall nose heavy , again from level you touch the tail it will fall tail heavy , none of my other airplanes balanced like this , they would rock on the cg....... any help ????
Old 07-01-2009, 04:18 AM
insert name here

ORIGINAL: magnum500

this plane is a bit difficult to balance is anyone else haveing this trouble ? from level if you touch the nose it will fall nose heavy , again from level you touch the tail it will fall tail heavy , none of my other airplanes balanced like this , they would rock on the cg....... any help ????
Were you able to figure this problem out? I am picking mine up in the next day or so and I was wondering how the plane flies for ya.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:18 PM
EPflyer12

Never been a fan of electrifly planes. Get a Precision Aerobatics Addiction.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:52 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

right on the addiction brother. iv'e had one for 10 months ,the plane that is.........LOL great flier and rugged, plus lite and inside stuff fairly easy to get to also. the only thing i didn't like was the two piece carbon landing gear. should have been one piece aluminum. great 3-d flyer and 150.00 is cheap enough. check it out .got mine from alantia hobby.........RON
Old 08-31-2009, 11:11 PM
1FST ZR1

I just finished mine , this really is a sweet ep plane it took about 3hrs to build and I used an E-flight power 25+60 amp esc and a 20amp bec,with a 11X7 prop and a 2200mah 4 cell and the flying wieght is 37 ounces. It hovers great with just a bit less than half throttle and is ballistic with full throttle. I only have 5 flights on it and I have not found anything bad yet. I get a soild 8 minutes of hard flying and close to 15 minutes if just pattern flying. I love It.