Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Getting back into the hobby

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Getting back into the hobby

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Mike Marnik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into the hobby

So ive been out of the hobby for a few years now because of college and cars taking up most of my time. Now i have some time and money to get back into flying. I want something small enough to throw in the back of my car and take out to a field (plenty here in nebraska) and fly. I still have the skills and such just want something decnt to start with. Obviously im looking for a 3d electric ARF. just need some advice on whats good these days. I used to fly a 40 size funtana and 1/4 sclae cap 232 (still have just oo big for my apartment and are in colorado). i am up for a foamie or balsa airplane. almost bought an e-flite mini funtana the local hobby town had on clearance a few months back but its gone now. Thanks for any and all help guys!
Old 09-15-2009, 01:38 PM
jumper666

Default RE: Getting back into the hobby

Fly the BEST. 3D Hobby Shop has an airplane to fit whatever level of 3D flying you want to do.

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/SearchRes...x?CategoryID=4

gb
Old 09-18-2009, 09:35 AM
SkaBob

I haven't heard a lot of people speak well of the mini funtana, but it's hard to go wrong with similar offerings from 3dhobbyshop, Precision Aerobatics or Extremeflight
Old 09-18-2009, 11:18 AM
GoldKraft

Ild go with the 3D hobbyshop 42" AJ Slick. Feels bigger than 42" in the air...very stable....great 3d machine.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:28 AM
jumper666

Either 3DHS's Extra 300 SHP or SLICK would be good starters.

I agree, 3dhobbyshop, Precision Aerobatics, and Extremeflight are at the top of a list of quality electric 3D planes.

In my opinion but is VERY close:

#1 = 3DHS

#2 = Extremeflight

#3 = PA

gb
Old 09-18-2009, 12:13 PM
SkaBob

ORIGINAL: jumper666

In my opinion but is VERY close:

#1 = 3DHS

#2 = Extremeflight

#3 = PA
Not at all to say Idisagree...I'm just getting started with planes and recognize the quality in each of those brands...I'm curious what reasons you have to list them in that order. I don't know any people that have 3DHS planes, and have only flown one of Extremeflight's birds, but have seen several PAplanes at this point... Makes me wonder what Imight be missing out on with the other brands if they're even better!

Old 09-18-2009, 03:06 PM
jumper666

The ordering of the companies is very close and just my opinion. If you were to ask 10 other people, you would get 10 different responses. However, it would be likely you would find that if the companies were ranked on a scale of 0 - 100, 100 being perfect, all three makers would at least be in the 90's if not in the mid to high 90's. They are that close. Again, in my opinion, calling one brand across the board BETTER than the others would be stretching a point. The good news is that you propably can't go wrong with any of the 3 brands. The bad news is that you have so many good choices it makes it difficult to choose. The 3DHS planes are the one's with which I got into 3D flying. They have been GOOD. I plan on purchasing more 3DHS acft in the future. Customer service has been superb. Their planes are the ones with which I have become most comfortable. So they are my favorite. However, there are others who would say the same about PA or Extremeflight. You know what, they too would be correct for them. Different people have different flying skills and techniques. You have your own. My suggestion is to expose yourself as much as possible to seeing each brand fly. There are MANY videos on line of each company's planes. Visit flying fields. Get close up and look over planes you are considering. Read through some of the on line build threads. Before you know it, you will find yourself saying, "That one feels right for me." I have seen people get all bent out of shape fighting for their favorite company or plane. This is silly. Some like black Corvetts and some like red Jags. To each his own. Currently, I have 4 3DHS planes, one EF, and am wanting two PA's. No need to limit yourself to one brand.

Two good 3D starter planes: http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=2489

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=2096

Best of luck in your flying.

Some of my toys: http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...y&memid=269730

To make matters worse, I thought of another QUALITY 3D acft:

#1 = 3DHS

#1a = Sebart

#2 = Extremeflight

#3 = PA

gb
Old 09-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Mike Marnik

^^^ what do you think of the velox? one of my concerns is size. im trying to avoid anything large 40in is pushing it as i live in an apartment and dont have a ton of extra space. Also my head is spinning trying to figure out all the different specs and stuff on motors and trying to compare one to the other. are there any good guide or sites to help me learn. I also recently got back in touch with a friend i used to fly with and he reccomended www.hobbycity.com for getting electronics and such im just not so sure about it as the stuff is DIRT CHEAP! I dont need to get something for beginning 3d necesarily it used to be my main interest and ive played around with simulators so i havent lost the touch. all help is much appreciated
Old 09-23-2009, 09:55 PM
GoldKraft

The 3DHS Velox is a great plane.....but it is a 47" plane. I would go with either the 40" Edge or the 42" AJ Slick.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:57 AM
Doc Austin

ORIGINAL: Mike Marnik

one of my concerns is size. im trying to avoid anything large 40in is pushing it as i live in an apartment and dont have a ton of extra space.
I've got both the 3DHS 42" AJ Slick and the 40" Edge 540, and I really can't choose which I like best. I'de say you'de loe either of them. The Edge has a shorter fuselage, so it's a bit easier to throw in the car, but the Slick isn't bad. I've gopt a Nissan Altima and either will go in the back seat assembled. It's nice to drag them out of the car at the field and not have to work on them.

Also my head is spinning trying to figure out all the different specs and stuff on motors and trying to compare one to the other

Welcome to the club. None of these manufacturers use any sort of standard for numbering motors, so you never know how one compares to the other. It's going to take you some time to learn about electrics, but for now fly a 3DHS plane and use whatever power system, battery and propeller they recommend. These planes are extensively tesed, so whatever they recommend works.

I dont need to get something for beginning 3d necesarily
You can sport fly any 3D plane just by reducing the throws and moving the CG forward a bit. We did that with a 40" Edge 540 and it as awesome. The nice thing is that if you get bored with spoort flying you chance the setupand the Edge is one of the most rocking 3D moinsters on the market......THE most rocking, IMHO.

But, here we just sport fly it. You can snooparound the restof the blog and hoperfully you'llfind something that will help you. If you've got any questions, feel free to send me a PM.

http://docaustinsfreakshow.blogspot....nd-set-up.html

Old 09-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Mike Marnik

decided to go with the 3dhs 40" edge 540 with a turnigy 35-36c motor. Will be placing all the orders here shortly!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:04 AM
nate4117

i just maidened mine and i love it!
Old 12-30-2010, 02:34 AM
mazjag

I understand your confusion on the motor, battery stuff etc.. I think this is one of the big problems that electric airplanes have. There is no standard system from the manufactures. It a mess right now. Comparing motor watts will help show interchange between them, but using weight is a rough back up. 11.1 3 cell 1800ma-2200ma(which I fly) has a ton of offereing in that size class so its a good start and fairly small. After that size battery its almost a free for all.. Btw the way, 11.1 packs are cheap as well..look at the prices after that for 4 cell etc..Jason
Old 01-08-2011, 03:22 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

I'd get a DW foamie [link]http://www.dwfoamies.com/[/link]. I love my DW foamies and the new 40" in dEPPron Fusion are great and strong foamies.