Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Precision Aerobatics Extra 260 Power setup

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Precision Aerobatics Extra 260 Power setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 07:18 PM
tiggerracing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Precision Aerobatics Extra 260 Power setup

Im looking for a power setup for the PA extra 260 that will not cost an arm and a leg like the IPA setup. Does anyone know of a good setup?
Thanks.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Revy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Precision Aerobatics Extra 260 Power setup

I used an E-flight P25 and 60 amp ESC but that was too heavy compared to the T30 and Q45. That will be the most cost effective set-up. With the P-25 I had a very narrow CG. I much prefer the better handling of my 260 compared to the rocket I had before. Reap the benefits with the IPA. The battery can be of your choosing
Old 12-12-2009, 10:36 PM
tiggerracing

Man-o-man its just alot of cash on electronics. I shouldnt complain though, I won the plane in a free raffle last night!!! WOO-HOO!!! I gues its the best of the best for the plane. Ughh..well there is always christmas.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Revy

You won it! Congrats, man!

I know I griped about the IPA, too. When you get it, you won't be disappointed! I am using 2250-2500 mAh packs, and getting alot of flight time. 15-20 min depending on what I'm doin'. Turning a 13x6 Xoar with the CF spinner, now, not in that pic. That was with the p25 in it there. I'm finishing up my CF wheel pants as we speak, I'll post some more in a bit. The wheel pants are far stronger than the 'glass ones that come in the kit. Personaly I feel PA should include them in the kit or an upgrade if you get the IPA w/ the kit. I paid a total of $50 CDN for the spinner and pants to show up at my door. Other than that PA's customer service, particularly Adad, has been awesome!

What color did you get?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96724.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	698.2 KB
ID:	1333343  
Old 12-13-2009, 09:03 PM
tiggerracing

I got the red one. It looks so cool. I too will be getting the CF spinner and the CF pants later on. I take it you covered yours your self? Looks awsome. Its the first raffle i have ever won AND i also won a spectrum reciever! What a night.
Oh, do you know of a good web site on completeing ARFs? This is my first so i dont know how to install the rudder or properly cut the covering so that it doesnt peel away.
Thanks.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:25 AM
Revy

No I didn't cover the entire plane, just got rid of the gray with a bit more visible color. I painted the cowl to closely match the red I added. Not perfect but you can't see it when its movin', lol!

This is a good place. Post pics and questions on here and within a few days you will find the solution to your question if the search method doesn't produce enough answers for you. I'll gladly help.

For the rudder CA hinges. They recommend using 30min epoxy. I did the same. Take yer time and tape everything in place so you don't get the dreaded setting droop![X(]

Old 12-14-2009, 12:35 AM
Revy

Oh BTW I did get the spinner and pants done.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45683.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	446.3 KB
ID:	1334068  
Old 12-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Revy

Ya can't beat this for a price on the lipo's you need.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6306
Old 12-18-2009, 04:36 PM
SkaBob

Hard to beat Turnigy for prices, and the performance works great. I recently bought myself a Katana MD and my dad the Extra 260, and we've got them both kitted out with Turnigy ESCs and Motors. We used the Sentry ESCs, but I'd recommend the Plush ones. The balancing tap on the Sentry is annoying, and the batteries don't get balanced all that well when compared to using a balancing charger. For the motors I think we used the Turnigy 35-36C 1100kv. Can't recall offhand, but I'm pretty sure that's the one.

Both planes perform AMAZINGLY with these combos, and at $15 or so for the Plush ESC and $22 for the motor, it's hard to go wrong.

I'd love to support PA by giving them more of my money, but not everyone can afford several hundred dollars for electronics that don't outperform the Turnigy stuff by several hundred dollars worth of fun (IFthey outperform them at all. Won't know unless I come across someone with the IPA in their KMDor 260)... Our planes both have unlimited vertical, and my dad's been using both Turnigy motors and ESCs in his garage full of planes for years without any issues (in case you wonder about "the cheap stuff"). The only ones I've seen go bad are the one that we put the deans connector on backwards (oops!) and the one that got dunked in the lake by a radio glitch.

At any rate, I don't think PAwill mind much...they're going to get several hundred dollars of my money in planes before long anyways!

Oh, do yourself a favor and use the 13" prop recommended in the manual. With the 12"the 260 was a little....anemic.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:19 PM
tiggerracing

Wow thats a great price! i need to check that out.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Revy

That is an interesting set-up. Good to see someone got another "combo" that works well. The E-flight stuff werkt well but the weight was the draw back. Your right about the "cheap" stuff, I ususally chicken out and spend a couple bucks more for the name brand stuff.

The PA IPA works well with a 13x6 Xoar for me.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:30 PM
tiggerracing

So no problems with Turnigy?
Old 12-20-2009, 03:04 PM
SkaBob

ORIGINAL: RevyMaxx

That is an interesting set-up. Good to see someone got another "combo" that works well. The E-flight stuff werkt well but the weight was the draw back. Your right about the "cheap" stuff, I ususally chicken out and spend a couple bucks more for the name brand stuff.

The PA IPA works well with a 13x6 Xoar for me.
I'm not against paying "a couple bucks more", but the IPAs for the KMDor 260 costs $310... Compared with less than $50 for motor and ESC and $30 or so for a battery, that's a different ballpark from "a couple bucks more" to me...

ORIGINAL:tiggerracing

So no problems with Turnigy?
None whatsoever in general. I'm certain that like any mass produced item there will be the odd "bad from the factory"ones, but nothing that would be seen as a flaw in the design/units themselves. My father just finished a Fliton Rogue bipe that's powered by Turnigy kit, I'm finishing a Yardbird Gunslinger today that's all Turnigy kit, my father will be building a Yardbird F-15 that'll be all Turnigy kit... Basically, unless there's a specific reason to order something other than Turnigy, we don't really order anything other than Turnigy now, and we haven't been burnt. Beyond our PA planes and the ones I just mentioned, there's something like 8 or 9 planes in my dad's garage (essentially, the rest of the electric planes of our collection) that are either all Turnigy, or Turnigy ESCs and some other motor that was specifically chosen for the task. Several control line stunters, a Sebart Sukhoi, a Pitts Python, and a bunch of foamies all loving the stuff.

It's your call in the end...but Idoubt you'll be disappointed with whatever you choose.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:37 PM
tiggerracing

Awsome! Well I know what im getting myself for christmas. Thanks for the info on Turnigy. Im all for saving alot of cash durring the holidays.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:10 PM
tiggerracing

Oh. What servos are you using?
Old 12-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Revy

Hitec HS-65MGs all around. I know you don't need to, but no y-harness as I kinda like flaperons on this thing. With my DX7 I programmed 20% flaps with 3% elevator mix and she comes in nice, slow and level.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:18 AM
tiggerracing

Cool. Thanks for the info.
Oh,one more thing. How hard would it be to fly with a transmiter without expo?
Old 12-28-2009, 09:30 AM
SkaBob

To say it'll be "hyper" without expo is probably an understatement.

The PA 260 is a true 3D bird, with big control surfaces that move through big throws.

If you've got a real gentle hand, I suppose it would be manageable, but you'll still need to really dial down the low-rates on it, especially if you want to keep it steady while landing. With a plane as light and glidey as the stuff PAmakes, even small inputs on landing are going to cause it to balloon upwards - and that's WITH expo. Without expo, a small overcorrection could have you pointed pretty badly upwards, stalling, precious few feet off the ground...

With expo, I'd say anyone could fly it. Without expo, the warnings about how it's intended for advanced flyers should be taken into account.

But, hey!With the money you'll save using Turnigy ESC and motor, you could probably get a transmitter with expo!

Old 01-01-2010, 04:59 PM
tiggerracing

Oh boy! (sigh)
Well thank you for the info. Im glad i know about that before maiden.
Time to shell out the christmas cash!
Off to the LHS.
Oh one more thing. Did you need to modify the motor mount/box?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:40 AM
SkaBob

There's an additional pamphlet that came with my Katana MD about re-enforcing the motorbox, including a piece of fiberglass cloth to do that with. I don't recall if the 260 had that as well, as my father built his mostly while I was at work. Other than that, the only changes I needed to make to the original motor box was to drill holes to match the ones in the motor. The holes in the motor box are designed to match the motor PA uses in the IPAs setup, and don't necessarily match the holes on other brands of motor.

At any rate, nothing major.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Revy

The 260 has that fiberglass reinforcement too. Even with the IPA its a good idea to stiffen up the box.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:32 PM
tiggerracing

Awsome!!! thanks for the info everyone.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Basement Troll
My Feedback: (3)

RevyMaxx: Ya can't beat this for a price on the lipo's you need.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6306

Hi, I just ordered the 260. This is my first electric so I ordered the IPA version. Please forgive my ignorance but the battery you put the link to, doesn't have near the "burst" performance of the PA battery. Does that really matter? I need to learn all this stuff as the electrics interest me. I've been flying glow for 20 years and have so much stuff I hate to switch gears but I'm thinking fo selling a bunch of glow stuff and downsizing a bit. Thanks for your help.
Don
Old 01-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Revy

Well when I looked back then I don't recall the 20-40 A continuous V2 one, must be a new addition. The 20-30 A one is the same as the Zippy. More is better, maybe. Notice the life cycle? 130 cycles is not very many. Should be in the thousands. Or is my interpretation wrong?
Old 01-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Basement Troll
My Feedback: (3)

I don't Know. I would need someone who know this cold to explain it to me. As I said this is my first e-plane. That's why I went with the package deal as I wouldn't know what to buy. Thanks for the help though.
Don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.