Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

T3D from eDogFight.com

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 12:02 AM
easy2fly
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T3D from eDogFight.com

i bought a 3 cell 340 yesterday. ill let ya know how it works out when it gets here. i also went to the lhs and bought a 1147 prop. that was the biggest they had besides a 1410. the 1147 has 8.47 oz of thrust. this prop worked great. i would be doing some hovering over my yard, and the misquitos would be so bad i would almost crash trying to keep them off me. me neighbors must have thought i was crazy. running around the yard with a towel on my head, holding a transmitter, while hovering around. for a bit, i just stood under the plane while it was up there to have the wind keep them off of me. i will have to order some 12x60 props. should i do anything to my motor to prepare for three cells? thanks, jeff
Old 08-19-2003, 01:26 AM
AtomHeartMother

Yeah the mosquitos are ferocious this year. I get nailed pretty good when I fly my hummingbird in my backyard at night.
Flew the T3D tonight. The m100/d gearing is a good one. The 10x8 prop gives the plane plenty of authority. Winds were 10mph steady. I ran kokams and lightflight lipolys in it,1020 and 1200 mah respectively. with the latter I could still pull out of a hover 15 minutes into the flight. Total flight time was around 30 minutes, though I could have flown longer. Even at the 30 minute mark performance was still much better than stock on a fresh charge. Knife edge loops I think are now possible with the combo. I was able to shift the cg back as well, with the new battery location. This made the plane feel even lighter still.
Even after 30 minutes, the m100 was just barely warm to the touch. I think I'll try the 11x4.7 as well on a calmer day and see what it does. It was cool, my buddy has an e-starter with an astro 010 in it, on 3 cells. I could almost keep up with him going vertical.
The kokam batteries were just slightly warm after about a 25 minute flight. The continuous amp draw is near their limit and you could feel as it didn't have quite the power the lightflight cells did-especially further into the discharge. All in all I'd say this is an extremely efficient mod and dirt cheap too ! Thumbs up from the peanut gallery ! I could see where a 2 or 3 cell 340 HO kokam would rock on this set up. No prep needed for the motor. Just plug and fly !
Old 08-22-2003, 03:29 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff,

That's a pretty funny image you drew with the towel and mosquitos.

Hopefully, you aren't using the 3-cell prop with a 11x4.7 prop on the DX-A motor.
Old 08-22-2003, 04:34 PM
easy2fly

just got my 3 cell yesterday. im going to be using the combo with my m100 motor. i will probably go back down to a 1047 when i fly with three cells. i also need to expand my battery comp. do you guys have any pics of your expanded ones? i like the way with 340 is set yp, because its just as thin as the 2 cells packs so it will fit in the fuse nicely.
Old 08-24-2003, 04:21 PM
easy2fly

flew the setup yesterday. all i can say is wow. it went straight up when given full power. unlimited vert is easy. i used the 1147 prop. you guys have to try this.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:34 AM
easy2fly

how ae your rudders holding up? i put different hinges on mine becasue the ones that came with it didnt work. it seems im getting less rudder throw every time. also, i have cf tow on the bottom from the elevator to the middle-back of the wing. the tail protion still is easily twistable. would putting some tow on the side help my twist? thanks, jeff
Old 08-29-2003, 06:07 AM
AtomHeartMother

My bottom rudder hinge has come loose several times. I've finally epoxied it instead of using foam safe CA. We'll see how it holds. This is mainly from my brushes with the ground on funky landings. I may just put the tail skid on the rear to help protect the rudder on belly flops.
I used poor man's CF tow(fiberglass strapping tape) on the sides of the fuse. I ran a 1/4 inch piece on both sides from the tail up to the depron "cheeks" by the nose. This added tremendous rigidity over stock. I did the same with the wing. Even with the repairs, my rudder throw still seems fine. If the hinges get too crappy on mine I'll just cut them off and use scotch tape for hinging. I have that on the ailerons and it works great. Still need to try that 11x4.7 prop..maybe this weekend.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:56 AM
easy2fly

did ya get to try it?
Old 09-02-2003, 09:13 PM
AtomHeartMother

Nope...not yet. Between my crappy work schedule and the weather... Someday.... I hate it when daily requirements screw with my hobby time !
I did discover the 10x4.7 does have it's advantages in tight spaces. The 10x8 has just a little too much speed for small areas. It is one fun little bird though.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:51 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: T3D from eDogFight.com

The 340 Kokams - what rate is safe to use on charging - (in that they have very low resistance, apparantly)?
Old 09-08-2003, 05:55 PM
AtomHeartMother

I'm pretty sure the 340 high output kokams can be charged at 2C. Verify that before you try it though.
If it is the case, if you had 4 packs and a decent charger you could fly all day. I may try a 2s pack one of these days. I don't have a charger right now that can charge them though.
I'm gonna mount the landing gear and tail skid on my T3D. It's so delicate even a belly flop in stiff grass can do damage. I'll gain about 1/4 oz. I figure if it's too much I can always take the gear back off. I do miss take off's and landings.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:43 PM
mquinn

I am having the hardest time contacting anyone from eDogFight. I put in an order for 2 LithPoly packs and a Triton charger and have left at least 6 e-mail and have yet to get a reply. They have no phone number - I should have been suspicious by that. It has been 4 days and I am quite frustrated! If anyone on this forum has a contact number for these guys - please send it to me. I do not even see that my credit card has been debited. My new policy - If I cannot get someone on the phone - they do not exist! I use the internet for ordering MANY things. These guys need to get their act together. If they have e-mail problems or server problems - they should shut down their server if it is the only way of getting them. Sorry for the rant - just wanted to let other know from my experience.[:@]
Old 02-14-2004, 10:01 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

Do these planes have nice aileron authority for harrier rolls or no

Thanks

Dan
Old 04-19-2004, 09:52 AM
chall

I'm new to building this type of airplane, so bear that in mind... I was disappointed in the quality of this kit. I purchased mine a month or so ago, and they've made a few unfortunate changes to the kit since the start of this thread. First, no carbon anything is provided to stiffen the wings. Just some tape and the suggestion that you put a strip on the top and bottom of each wing. (This may actually be good enough, the wing seems pretty stiff.)

Second, the aerilons come pre-attched to the wings with tape. At least they're supposed to, but you see none of the tape sticks! Even the decorative stick-ons fall back off after a day. I used some packing tape I had lying around, and that sticks much better than what they're using.

Third, the aerilon control horns look nothing like what is shown in this thread, or the instructions. They're now larger and L-shaped. I tried to get help from edogfight about how to install them and got an email response about a month later. And I'm convinced the advice they gave was wrong, because I'd had a helluva time trying to get the aerilon control linkage to work.

Fourth, as near as I can tell there is no provision for securing the battery, just a well beneath the airplane where you have to stick it. I bought some velcro straps.

This all seems pretty lame to me, but as I say this is my first foamie kit. Weight of plane is 4.1 ou., plus 1.3 more for the LiPo battery.

I haven't had a chance to fly it yet.

I bought mine from AlleRC.com and althought they were not familiar with the details of how to assemble the kit, they were prompt and sharp in setting me up with the Li-Po batteries, receiver and servos. They coached me through selecting a proper set of matching gear over a long phone call.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:26 AM
chall

As a follow-up to my previous post, mymost recent query to eDogFight.com got an email response in about 3 days. Again, it wasn't especially helpful though.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:33 PM
My Feedback: (1)

chall & others,

Had anyone tried the T3D II "Wild Beast" or is everyone talking about the original T3D?

Brad