Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying! > 3D electric flying forum
Reload this Page >

Senior needs some help

Community
Search
Notices
3D electric flying forum Discuss indoor/outdoor 3D electrics in our 3D electric forum.

Senior needs some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 10:57 AM
Abitasteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Senior needs some help

Hi, I have a old Gee bee 3d parkflyer that been sitting on a shelve for about 6 years. I bought a new battery only change was this battery is a 45c and the original was 20c. I'm using the stock radio and esp. Any ideas? Here is a video of the problem. THANK YOU!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx4QV2A1mZE

Last edited by Abitasteve; 10-20-2020 at 11:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MartyMar (08-20-2021)
Old 10-20-2020, 03:16 PM
Abitasteve

WoW.. 45 views and no comments? Did I do something wrong on this site? Maybe I posted in the wrong area. Sorry if I did. Very new at this.
MartyMar (08-20-2021)
Old 10-20-2020, 03:46 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

The C-rating of the battery shouldn't matter one bit for what you have going on. You said the GeeBee has been sitting on a shelf for 6yrs. Could the motor/ESC or anything else have black-wire disease? ... or been compromised just by age?... It might not be likely, but that doesn't mean it's not possible... especially in some of the cheaper units from that era. I would think your plane wasn't exposed to elements such as moisture, intense heat, or anything that's present in a garage. From what I can barely make out, the motor looks clean enough too. So these are just some thoughts is all.

If you have another battery, give that a try, if it doesn't work give a new motor a try, process of elimination is what needs to take place. Actually I'd try another motor first, as you just got the battery, and it's probably not as likely there's a problem with that.

Something is wrong obviously.
The following 2 users liked this post by DGrant:
Abitasteve (10-21-2020), MartyMar (08-20-2021)
Old 10-20-2020, 04:11 PM
Abitasteve

Thank you very much DGRANT. The only reason I stopped flying I was happy I didn't crash. I paid $169 for the plane and now a new battery and the motor wont start. Its funny, I was willing to buy a new battery knowing I would probably crash the first flight. Now I have to decide a new motor and maybe a new ESC. Thanks again DRGRANT!
Old 10-20-2020, 05:43 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Do you still have the original battery? If so have you tried to charge it? I have batteries for my electric planes that are 18yrs old that still work fine. If you do charge it, take it outside and away from everything.

I don't see what location you're in, but if there's a club near you, you might be able to get some info and someone to trouble shoot your plane. If you were near me I'd do it. As I mentionied I'd probably just swap the motor first and see. You don't even have to swap a motor out. Just unhook it, and plug the different motor in... it's that easy to check it if you have another motor.

... and do me/you a favor... REMOVE THE PROP WHEN TESTING!..... please. It's the safe thing to do, and the motor won't even know it. Just in case the motor takes off and you aren't expecting it... if that prop is on the plane it will turn into a slicer-dicer in about 2 seconds. You won't know what hit you.
The following 2 users liked this post by DGrant:
Abitasteve (10-21-2020), MartyMar (08-20-2021)
Old 10-21-2020, 05:12 AM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks like in the video you have a brush motor. If you have voltmeter you can check the voltage going to the motor from the esc.
MartyMar (08-20-2021)