RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Electric Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/)
-   -   Fliton AJ Extra (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/5353253-fliton-aj-extra.html)

dougpeck 02-12-2007 11:50 PM

RE: Fliton AJ Extra

Glad to hear it, Edson ! I don't think you could come out w/anything better flying than the Andrew Jesky 330 ... I am amazed at its abilities and the most rock solid plane I have EVER flown in nearly 50 years !

BTW , TD, I flew it w/only one Thunder Power 2070 and it flew perfect - and for nearly 15 min. ! Only thing to watch out for is that it drops suddenly in slow landing so need to keep speed up a bit.

I would like you guys at Fliton to come out w/some more light - large wingspan planes like AJ 330 - such a great combination!

BTW I changed from 13/8 to 13/4 and it flew much better - slower and more power for 3D moves I am just beginning to learn.

I still give plane 99 out of 100 after around 8 flights.

I've always been a giant scaler and recently getting into large gassers but I'll tell you I 'm having a LOT of fun w/the electrics and a LOT less stress when I only have $500 in air instead of $2500 ! I think I am loving these electrics a lot more than I thought I would - they are terrific and the electronics batteries and motors are nothing short of amazing technology.

dougpeck 02-13-2007 12:04 AM

Hey Edson, how about a 45-50" biplane? A few more 50" plus planes? A 60" plane? W/ bit larger motors and batteries but same light charachteristics....

FlitonUSA 02-14-2007 01:16 AM

Hi Doug,

Glad you are also enjoying the airplane like many others! There are no other planes in the market right now that offer the wing area of the AJ and check in under 3lbs. It is amazing that you got 15 minutes on a single 2070 pack! Is it the 3s or 4s? Lowering the pitch on your prop is definately recommended for more 3D maneuverability.

We got you covered on the different sizes... just stay tuned to our website for updates.

Why dont you post some pictures of your AJ Extra setup Doug for others here.

dougpeck 02-15-2007 10:11 AM

Fliton - my battery is Thunder P. 3s 2070 - I sure like the TP as I can balance cells as I charge.

That has got to be the secret of AJ - large plane very light. I expected 8-10 min. when I cut down from two batteries to one but I still got tremendous time. Of course, I almost lost plane because I was pushing the time just to see how long it would go but was low to ground (about 25' ) on a high speed up line and battery just quit ! I was barely able to flop straight down - get up enough airspeed and pull horiz. at ground level and land immed. ! Yikes !

I will try and post pix , I'm not experienced at doing that but can learn ...

BoneDoc 02-16-2007 08:14 AM

For the longevity of the pack, make sure that you don't draw more than 80% of the pack's capacity.

imfly1234 02-17-2007 02:21 AM

anyone who is on the fence for buying this plane, let me tell you how impressed i am with the way it flies and comes together. i have about 14 flights with it on a hacker a30-10xl and 4s 2150 pack and it is extremely stable, no bad characteristics... favorite plane now. good job fliton. i will continue to buy your products after this experience =)

~Jon

dougpeck 02-17-2007 10:30 PM

Doesn't the speed controller cut the motor off when it reaches a certain voltage? I think I put in around 75-80% or around 1500 MA according to the charger - I'll have to pay closer attention next charge . I have a Phoenix speed controller and it has the ability to change parameters on computer . I've never tried it and don't know anything about it but I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't set the cut-off voltage.

I am only guessing here...

BoneDoc 02-18-2007 01:43 AM

IMHO LVC is a bad thing for bigger electric models. You really shouldn't fly until you hit LVC, the same way you don't want to fly your glow planes until you run out of gas and have to deadstick your landing. Small planes are very forgiving if you plop it down hard, but larger planes aren't going to be like that.

The best way to do this is to fly half of what you think it'll take to hit LVC, TIME it, and the recharge. Keep increasing the timer until you're close to the 80% of the pack's capacity.

dougpeck 02-18-2007 10:05 PM

I can do what you say about flying and then checking but the difficult thing for me is to know when the time is up. I think I need to get some kind of alarm timer that will buzz when time is up. One guy at field used a large face timer attached to his transmitter but I don't like to take my eyes off of the plane and would not use that kind of set-up . He said it didn't have an alarm.

imfly1234 02-19-2007 04:43 PM

i use a park ubec (6v) because the x40 and hacker a30:10xl is rated for 2-3s but my lipo is 4s. no lvc here.

BoneDoc 02-20-2007 02:43 AM

Get a digital kitchen timer. Some of it have a countdown mode with an alarm at the end.

dougpeck 02-21-2007 09:12 PM

Thanks bondoc , I'll look for one....

3DAP 02-27-2007 01:40 AM

I am just about to pull the trigger on this plane. I am looking at the Hacker combo, and I am wondering if I want to go 4s 1p or 3s 2p.
If I understand it properly 3s 2p is 2 3 cell packs wired in together. 4s 1p is one pack 4 cells. Which one has the most 3d capability?
I want to get this straight before I buy batteries that dont give me full vertical and require wiring together.
Thanx I cant wait to get this plane, it seems to be the SH$!t 3DAP

BoneDoc 02-27-2007 02:01 AM

The concensus right now seems to be A30 12XL on 4S and 14x7. I think 4 cell is better than 3S2P if you're running an outrunner. If you're going geared, then 3S2P should be fine as well.

3DAP 02-27-2007 09:43 PM

I think I am leaning toward 12xl and 4s, I definately want insane vertical. If 4s is the key how many mah? Also are you guys running the flight power batteries and charging at 1c. I have only been charging 3s1p batteries on my Triton and I am wondering if I will need to do any thing different on 4s packs. Are you guys happy with hs65 mg,s or go with the 81,s? Thankx for your input

3DAP

BoneDoc 02-27-2007 10:04 PM

Again, without personal experience myself :)... not for long though ... It seems that the 65 is enough, even for the rudder (though I think 81 is probably better for the rudder). Charging on triton shouldn't be a problem. The new crop of 2100 4S batt (Evo 2170, TPX 2070, 2200) should do the job and give you 6-8 min of mixed 3D, pattern type flying.

SS2P 02-28-2007 12:00 AM

Okay I was really close to ordering a A30-10xl, HSs-65, TP 2200 3s, Phonix 45 but I will go with a new setup as I want more power.

A30-12xl
EVO 2150 4s
Phonix 45
HS-65 ailerons and HS 81MGs for rudder and elev
UBEC
Berg 7p
Hitec optic 6

This should be tons of power for any move and still stay at around 3 pounds..

Paul

dougpeck 03-02-2007 03:19 PM

I am flying AJ now and use 1- TP 2070 for around 10-12 min. of aerobatics - not much 3D . I do know I tried the 2- TP 2100's (3-cells ea.) wired in paralell and it did nothing for performance but added weight. I have not tried the 4-cell batteries. The TP 2070 - they call it their "extreme" battery still only has 3-cells. It is very sensitive to charging properly - I have ruined 5 batteries , 4 by leaving plugged in overnight and latest one was not re-charging right after flight but trying to wait a few days - completely dead battery. Fortunately for me , TP gives me 1/2 credit and gives me a new battery as long as I have recently purchased battery and it is not years old.

There is a learning curve on electrics ! [8D]

BoneDoc 03-02-2007 05:38 PM

I just got back from maidening (if there is such a word :)) my AJX, and I'm thoroughly impressed. This is the best flying airplane I've had to date, and I've flow anything from 16 oz SA Stella, to 50cc Lanier Edge. They're not kidding when they said that this plane flies "big" due to it's low wingloading / cubic loading. KE is virtually coupling free and the wingrock is really gentle. High alpha KE is a dream, and on its 3dr flight, I've gone lower than I've ever done with my other plane, period!

My setup is the standard setup that Fliton recommends.

A30 10XL
Fliton 4S 2150
APC 13 x 6.5 E
CC Ph 45
HS 81 on ailerons and elevator, 81MG on the rudder

AUW 50-51 Oz
There's definitely a lot of "pop" with this setup, and I'm barely above 1/2 throttle most of the time. Everything comes down pretty cool except for the CC Ph 45 (I suspect from me flying at less than half throttle most of the time. If I get to full throttle more often, it'll probably come down cooler. I had some glitching issue with the ParkBEC on a full charge and full deflection, but did not notice it in flight.

If you're consider the setup with 3S / 4S, don't hesitate getting the A30 10XL. It's a wonderful on 4S as well as great on 3S. It's a great setup if you currently have 3S but wants to eventually upgrade to 4S.

dougpeck 03-03-2007 01:33 PM

Congrats on your maiden ! It's quite a plane...

I'm very close to "maidening" on my new Ultimate 50cc biplane .. and you know what - I'm sure there will be a LOT more pressure (and about 6 times more $$) than there was w/AJX - and I'm not entirely sure there will be that much more real enjoyment .. we'll see. I'm sure enjoying these electrics.

If Fliton comes out w/a series of these amazing flying planes like AJX I have a feeling I am going to be flying them 90% of the time ! I hope they come out w/ a 50+ in. bipe - that would be fun.

esc 03-03-2007 02:43 PM

Stratman,

Try this link to Al's Hobbies in the UK:

http://www.alshobbies.com/shop/looku...29&Desc=fliton

Regards,

Dave

3DAP 03-03-2007 11:42 PM

Hey Bonedoc!
I am happy to hear another great reference on this bird. I am going to get one going in the local Brown truck on Monday.
I am curious as I am new to Hacker, will the 10XL hover under half, or would the 12XL be better? Also will the hacker 40 amp speed control be enough? 1 more quick question. Were is the best place to order this combo and batteries from? Sorry for all the questions
but I am trying to hit this one perfect the first time around. Thanx for the info again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3DAP

BoneDoc 03-04-2007 01:59 PM

Here's a video I posted on RCG. This plane ROCKS!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...60#post7031565

dougpeck 03-04-2007 06:07 PM

Really nice video , Josh - great flying ! I can't do moves you do but sure enjoy plane . Great music also - I am assuming you are a believer... so am I !

r1derbike 03-04-2007 10:13 PM

Nice video, Bone! I'm going to maiden my AJ tomorrow. I'm using FlightPower's 4S 2500mah 20C Evo, and getting 7350 rpm with it, compared to 6280 rpm on DN Power 3S 2150mah 20C, static. No watts/amps yet, no meter. Difference in JuJu between the batteries is incredible.

Hacker A30-12XL
APCe 14X7

Charles