RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Electric Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/)
-   -   Great Planes Ultimate Bipe electric (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/5676791-great-planes-ultimate-bipe-electric.html)

Todd D 04-06-2007 09:45 PM

Great Planes Ultimate Bipe electric

Nice looking plane. Video on the Tower web site looks good. Anyone have one yet, any flight reports?

FlyBoy Ace 04-09-2007 11:36 PM

RE: Great Planes Ultimate Bipe electric

Yes. I've flown one for a few weeks now and it handels very nice even in low winds 1-5mph. You may need to make the elevator and rudder pushrods longer for better performance.[8D]

captainpitts-RCU 04-13-2007 06:39 PM

they are in stock now whoo hoo!!!!

ttski 04-26-2007 09:04 AM

I received mine last week and started putting it together. I got to page 11 and ran into issues. There are no slots in the fuse for the horizontal stab. If I had the plans this would be no big deal. But without, I would only be approximationg the location and incidence. I contacted Tower and Hobbico and the only option is to send it back and wait for another. I will probably just get a refund.

Make sure you check yours out of the box!

joshman123 04-27-2007 08:15 PM

could some help with the set up on this plane... motor,esc,servos,reciever,i have an airtronics fm 6 channel.. iam buying one what flight equipment, quality stuff but best value!!!

biplanemurphy 05-27-2007 12:52 AM

Hello.....Is anybody out there? I have been flying a GP Ultimate EP for a few weeks now. Love this plane. I seem to fly it a bit aggressively since I have broken an elevator in half duing flight. Also Broke some of the horizontal stabs in various places during same flight. Repaired all damage and reinforced stabs and elevators with carbon fiber strips. Flew very solid after that for 10 flights. Then another high G manuever brokr both stabs again (at joint with fuselage)!! Repaired with basswood top and bottom of each stab where they meet the fuse. Also used basswood for struts/flying wires on stabs. Just finished that repair!! Seems bulletproof now!! On a lighter note... Very agile plane. Beautiful flat spins, upright and inverted. Good hovers. Nice torque-roll once. Knife edge has a tuck to the landing gear, but is still nice. Very impressive snap-rolls. Great inverted flight, including inverted loops, inside and outside. However..... best of all are the landings....Brilliant!!! Had really smooth landings every time, wind, no wind, Broken elevator ( Broken in half and bent at 90 degrees), Two broken, but still hanging on horizontal stabs (still amazed it was controllable!). No matter what I have thrown at it, it still manages to grease in those all important landings!!!! So What are your experiences with this great little plane????

biplanemurphy 05-27-2007 01:03 AM

Joshman, almost forgot... I made an aluminum motor mount to take an E-Flite 480 outrunner (massive vertical performance, but may rip the tail surfaces off in high-g manuevers) 40 amp speed control. 2100 Mah Li-Po 3-cell battery. 4- Hitec hs-55 servos (However I have stripped the elevator sevo gears 3 times. Replaced the top 2 gears each time....At $5 per gear set, I should have used a Hitec hs-65 karbonite or metal gear servo, and would have spent the same money!!!! The hs-55's are cheap and seem to work well for ailerons and even that big ole rudder.65's would probrably be best for elevator and rudder!!!! Good luck and let us all know how it goes. P.S. Watch out for high-alpha high-G high-speed moves....I can't help doing things like that, but repairs are inevitable!!!!!!

biplanemurphy 05-27-2007 05:50 PM

Flew bipe today, and repairs worked out great!! Hovers better, and pulled off another nice torque-roll. Struts on the horizontal stabs are working brilliantly. Rock solid tail now....highly recommend that modification!!!! Carbon fiber rod would work really well for that purpose. Wish I had some laying around, but didn't..........

ttski 05-30-2007 09:40 AM

I have flown mine a couple of times with the recommended GP motor and esc using a 2100 ma 25c lipo. I have not been happy with the 3D performance so far, but I am still experimenting with props. Is anyone using the base setup and getting good 3D performance? If so, what prop are you guys using.

biplanemurphy 05-30-2007 12:35 PM

TTSKI....thats why I stuffed an E-flite 480 into it. Massive power for pullout of hover..also extreme vertical performance!!![sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Although so much power means careful throttle management in level flight, so as not to rip off stabs and elevators..stripping elevator servo as well.[sm=punching.gif]
Making a motor mount was easy...used the ply mount provided, and 480 mount to trace holes on some flat aluminum. then cut and drilled. Works great!!!
Hope you figure out a prop solution, Because this plane is really fun with the uplines. My buddy has the Fliton Rogue bipe with the same gear in it. We fly together starting with close together Hovers, then climb straight up untill they become the tiniest speck in the sky. Then dual flat spin all the way down. followed by anything else we can think of.:)

lazy eight 07-10-2007 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: ttski

I received mine last week and started putting it together. I got to page 11 and ran into issues. There are no slots in the fuse for the horizontal stab. If I had the plans this would be no big deal. But without, I would only be approximationg the location and incidence. I contacted Tower and Hobbico and the only option is to send it back and wait for another. I will probably just get a refund.

Make sure you check yours out of the box!
Check for the slots under the gold stripe. They are well hidden. I had to poke around a bit to find them but they where there. Does anybody know what the covering is ?? I need a little of the red to make a repair on one of my wings. The insturction do not say what it is.:eek: Any pics of your tail reinfocment would be nice I have not had any trouble yet but it looks like soon to come. I'm running a Hacker A30 for power. Its more than enough.

esherman 07-11-2007 09:42 AM

Has anybody tried the Rimfire 35-36-1000 vs. the stock 35-30-950? I have been reading that it seems underpowered with the 35-30-950 and I thought the 35-36-1000 would give plenty more power (500 something watts vs. 200 something watts)(I like to WAY overpower my planes if you can tell! :D). My only question is does it fit? The motor in question is 6mm longer than the stock motor, and I don't know if it will fit in the cowl. I used the same motor in my e-flite MFX and all I had to do was use a dremel tool to make the hole in the cowl a little larger and then the prop adapter fit through. Is the procedure the same here? Thanks for any help!

biplanemurphy 07-12-2007 04:00 PM

ORIGINAL: esherman

Has anybody tried the Rimfire 35-36-1000 vs. the stock 35-30-950? I have been reading that it seems underpowered with the 35-30-950 and I thought the 35-36-1000 would give plenty more power (500 something watts vs. 200 something watts)(I like to WAY overpower my planes if you can tell! :D). My only question is does it fit? The motor in question is 6mm longer than the stock motor, and I don't know if it will fit in the cowl. I used the same motor in my e-flite MFX and all I had to do was use a dremel tool to make the hole in the cowl a little larger and then the prop adapter fit through. Is the procedure the same here? Thanks for any help!
500 watts will rip apart the tail !!! 270 watts with my E-flite 480 did it, be careful !!!

Murph.......

Oh......480 fits good!! 35mm diameter x 33mm length. I think the 35-36-1000 would fit just fine!!! You will have to make a mount.(EASY) I used flat aluminum stock and drilled holes in all the right places.

biplanemurphy 07-12-2007 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Any pics of your tail reinfocment would be nice I have not had any trouble yet but it looks like soon to come.
Here's some pics

I used carbon fiber flat strip(Very thin) on the top and sides all around the Stab/elevators.
Carbon fiber rod for tail braces.
It is now rock solid!!!!
Also had to use some sqare basswood to re-mount the stabs when they sheared off at fuse!!(not very pretty but it is strong!!

Murph..........

P.S. properly reinforced this plane is GREAT!!!! Flies extremely well!!

esherman 07-12-2007 09:25 PM

Whoops!!! The 500 watts is with a 4S lipo and I only plan to use a 3S. On my mini funtana X the 35-36-1000 pulls ~300W WOT with a 3S lipo and 12x6 prop. Sorry, I should try to keep my cell count straight!!!

biplanemurphy 07-12-2007 09:38 PM

ORIGINAL: esherman

Whoops!!! The 500 watts is with a 4S lipo and I only plan to use a 3S. On my mini funtana X the 35-36-1000 pulls ~300W WOT with a 3S lipo and 12x6 prop. Sorry, I should try to keep my cell count straight!!!
300 watts will provide unlimited vertical performance!!!

Lots of luck...Murph.........

B.Matt 07-12-2007 10:32 PM

I mounted my vertical stabilizer and rudder today. Now the rudder will not stay in the center, it flops left or right. Also the vertical stab flexes wich ever way the rudder is moved. Any ideas what causes this??? I dont have the pushrods hooked up yet soit's just freeplay

B.Matt 07-12-2007 10:35 PM

I mounted my vertical stabilizer and rudder today. Now the rudder will not stay in the center, it flops left or right. Also the vertical stab flexes wich ever way the rudder is moved. Any ideas what causes this??? I dont have the pushrods hooked up yet soit's just freeplay

biplanemurphy 07-12-2007 10:59 PM

The stabs (vertical and horizontal) on this plane are very thin and flexible. Try some tail braces (carbon fiber rod0.
i only braced the horizontal, but you could go from Horizontal stab to vertical stab all the way around. That will stiffen it up immensely!!!

Good luck ..............

Murph..........

jooNorway 07-13-2007 06:04 AM

ORIGINAL: B.Matt

Sounds like your hinges are not on line... One of the hinges are mounted a bit "offset". Or there is a major warp in the rudder.

B.Matt 07-13-2007 06:24 AM

I checked the rudder and stab for warp before I put them on. Didn't seem warped. The hinges could be of center I guess but kind of strange they cut the hinge slots.

rw33950 07-13-2007 08:13 PM

Hi Yall, have a new one in the box and shure like all this input , tail advice sounds great , have a choice of power and now have some info to work with, Will let yall know how mine works out
RW[8D]

ORIGINAL: B.Matt

I checked the rudder and stab for warp before I put them on. Didn't seem warped. The hinges could be of center I guess but kind of strange they cut the hinge slots.

biplanemurphy 07-13-2007 10:06 PM

You will love it.................don't forget to reinforce tail feathers!!!
This one lands so beautifully!!
Flies even better!!

Murph........

rw33950 07-15-2007 06:48 PM

Thank you for the git back, will need some detailed info on the mods as i don't wish to blow the tail off ,, many thanks RW,

biplanemurphy 07-15-2007 08:35 PM

Photos on post #14.............Just cut carbon fiber rod and sand it to fit.........use thick CA to glue it. Flat carbon fiber here and there on the stabs to stiffen a bit and you will be set!!!
Rock Solid for high speed High-alpha stuff.................

Murph..........

P.S. if you need more info just ask and I will do my best to help!!