Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

What seperates the diffrent typs of 3D Birds

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

What seperates the diffrent typs of 3D Birds

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:12 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What seperates the diffrent typs of 3D Birds

Ok, What are the general diffrances between all the diffrent 3D Birds?

540T, 232 Caps, 300 Exstra, Exstra 260, Yak 54, SBACH

I know not all of these birds fly the same, but thats what I want to know.

I unfortunity crashed my 65in 540T Edge with a OS 1.20 AX, the motor stalled out while in a hover about 40feet up.

The only othere 3D birds I have flow is a PZ Exstra 300.

I know the 300 likes to tip stall, and is harder to Hairrer for me.

I have a New DLE 30CC that I got for my B Day, Im looking for a new Toy,

I love my 540 EDGE, but Im falling in love with the looks of the Yak 54, and the SBACH is hot, a little hight $$ but sexy,

The SBACk dose not look like your typica 3D bird.

Also by looking over old post it seems like most 3D Birds are now discountiued,

I would like to make sure my next bird, will have the aviblity of replacement parts, cab you get replacement parts for Aero Work yak?

I suck at covering! My 540 Is fixed, but I cant get the covering to look like some kid did it.

Thanks for your insites

Old 04-28-2011, 07:29 PM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What seperates the diffrent typs of 3D Birds

If you really want to learn to 3D well, get a profile. They aren't about looks.
They 3D as good or better than 40% birds and will not make you cry when you crash one.
Smaller round fuse birds just don't do as well.

Now on to your actual question.
The Edges tumble and snap well but are prone to wing rock.
Yak 55 is probably the best all-around with the Yak 54 second.
Sbach's can be good but many have too small of control surfaces.
Caps are more of a pattern type.

Note: all the above are highly subjective for the pilot and the actual bird and it's setup.

Now for some 3D. The MoJo 60 MoAss with Saito 100.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fs7Gbxwmp0[/youtube]
Old 04-28-2011, 07:53 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

540T, 232 Caps, 300 Exstra, Exstra 260, Yak 54, SBACH
the deal is right now i do not have the following in my stash:

540T
X-260
Sbach
Old 04-29-2011, 03:55 AM
rcflip

I would not recommend a profile, 3DHS fatties are a better choice and go the electric flavour, profiles are sooooo yesterday!!! they are PITA to store and get to and from the field. The very best 3d trainer is a foamy, they can be dorked quite badly and with a little glue are back in the air quickly and easily.

Edges and extras are usually slipperier than the yaks, the yaks do it all but perhaps a little slower.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:46 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys for the info,

Im sorry some of the terminology has me a little

What exsactly is a Profile bird? Is it where it has a very very wide wing and a Stick for a body? Kindof like a Hanger 9 Tango?

SO to recap, yaks are a slower bird but very manuverable.

Caps are for Profile fling.

So if you want to do profile flying, and 3d good options are Yak, and 540s.

Thanks mike
Old 04-29-2011, 05:52 AM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

All the planes listed can do 3D. The Extra is better at precision flying (IMAC). Tha Yak is also better at precision - close to the Extra. The Edge and the CAP (and Ultimate) are better at 3D and stalled manuevers.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:38 AM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

This [link=http://www.valuehobby.com/product_details.php?category_id=50&item_id=498]Yak55[/link] is a good profile! Flew mine last nite twice, after finally sorting out my Saito .82. I've been on a steep learning curve for 3D stuff, and have dorked many planes. The full-fuse smaller planes fly nice when set up properly, but take little to no abuse, i.e. you dork it, you've got hours of repair time. The bigger stuff like your 65" Edge is similar in repair time too. My recommended route, after dorking several planes, is a good foamie, 30" or bigger, so it flies a little more like your bigger planes, and the profile planes. I too hated the look of profile planes for a long time, but after flying them, became a believer! I currently have a Sabre 35, the above Yak55M, and a DW Foamies BAF Yak 55". These planes are really helping my learning curve, and don't make me wanna cry if I damage them. Eventually, would love to have a 40% plane I can throw around like these profiles, but not anywhere near the skill or wallet level to do that yet!
Old 04-29-2011, 12:37 PM
rcflip

Profiles are the ugly birds which look like a piece of 1/2inch timber cut to the profile of a plane and then with the wing bolted on. [link=http://www.swanyshouse.com/mojo/gallery.aspx]Mojo Pics[/link]
Old 04-29-2011, 12:50 PM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

Not gonna argue about the looks, but profiles can't be beat for flying performance in the 3D realm. In regards to the OP in this thread, sounds like he is leaning towards "sexy" looks, so rcflip has a point. Also, not too many choices (yet) in a 30cc size profile, but 30cc full fuse birds in this size are proliferating. The Funtana 125 flies nice (2 club members here have them, one with a DLE30 & one with a Syssa 30), the Abell Extra 260 is nice, not to mention Aeroworks, Pilot and a whole bunch more that are coming in with 30cc birds like Extras, Edges, and Sbachs...
Old 04-29-2011, 07:54 PM
nitro wing

if you have a new DLE 30 get any of the AW , Wildhare or EF offerings in that class. some others are redwing or EG and other newcomers
Old 04-30-2011, 12:14 AM
ameyam

What about the Extras? They are available in various Avataars- 260, 300, 330 etc. What are the differences between them?

What about the ultimate Bipes?

Also what about the non-scale ones like the Reactors

I will list out all the ones that I have and which can do 3D. Just want to know the hierarchy

GP Extra 300SP 55"- 55AX
GP Reactor 46 -75AX
GP Reactor Bipe- FS-91SII
CMPro Quest 50 55" FS72A
Phoenix Topstar 3D -FS91SII (Its the same as UCD60, FLIP3D, Frenzy 90 etc)
Phoenix Yak 54 64"-95ax
Phoenix Extra 330s 62"- 95ax
H9 Funtana 125- 120ax
AW Yak 90-120QB- 120ax or DLE20 (I am about to get this one)

Also have the Seagull Edge 540 46 but it isint exactly 3D

Yes, I know, quite a few. Only Topstar and Reactor-46 are flight ready, others are in boxes. But I need to make a decision on my next one soon, the Topstar frame is ageing.

Ameyam
Old 04-30-2011, 08:48 AM
nitro wing

out of your list, do the funtana, best in class and you have an ideal engine.
most can have this flightready in 2 easy evenings and its a blast to fly and learn confidence with, and it very capable and forgiving and simple to set up.

until you master a large flight envelope and know how to really set up aircraft you may not find alot of difference between a Cap or Extra or Edge. All manufactures alter the scale lines and airfoil, so some extras may fly much better than an extra built by company X even if it has similar specs.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:00 AM
cmircman
My Feedback: (10)

I have to agree with rcflip on 3DHS. If you already have a DLE30 check out the 71" slick 540 they offer. It is the best plane available in its class, anyone who argues this has definetely not had a chance to to fly one. It flies like a profile if not better and gives you the scle look. They are very durable and light for thier size. I personally for the money would not waste my money on the funtana.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:35 PM
ES CONTROL

3D Hobbyshop AJ Slick is what your looking for.  You will not be sorry.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:32 AM
krayzc-RCU

3D Hobbyshop AJ Slick
jewls are being given to you here with this advise......
Old 05-02-2011, 01:37 PM
nitro wing

Edit. my reply was given to ameyam, and got the original poster mixed up with my post.
I only suggested the funtana as he (ameyam) had posted that he already owned it and had an ideal engine.

If he can drop more $ and get more planes then we may as well send him on a spending spree 3DHS or EF
Old 05-02-2011, 05:28 PM
cmircman
My Feedback: (10)

nitro wing I did not mean anything towards you by my post. If any offense was taken you have my apology as it was not my intent. I was going by what mikes68charger posted in looking for a airframe for a DLE30. The funtana 125 at the price of $309 compaired to 3DHS 71" slick 540 at $389 is a easy decision for me personally to make as I feel the extra $80 would be well spent. On the other hand if I already had the funtana i would say definetly set it up with the DLE 30 as it should be fun.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Slick is a good bird no doubt but for me I would have to consider the fact that the Funtana 125 has about 100 more squares of wing. For those considering bigger gas engines that could make a difference. The way I read it is 9.5 lbs and just over 1100 inches of wing vs 10 lbs and just over 1000 inches of wing. For 3D work I am going to take that into consideration although 10 lbs on 1000 squares certainly isn't a deal killer in my eyes. In my experience much over 10 lbs on 1000 squares starts to get real squirrely. Just my two cents.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:57 PM
nitro wing

ORIGINAL: cmircman

nitro wing I did not mean anything towards you by my post. If any offense was taken you have my apology as it was not my intent. I was going by what mikes68charger posted in looking for a airframe for a DLE30. The funtana 125 at the price of $309 compaired to 3DHS 71'' slick 540 at $389 is a easy decision for me personally to make as I feel the extra $80 would be well spent. On the other hand if I already had the funtana i would say definetly set it up with the DLE 30 as it should be fun.
No worries, no offense at all, I think we all go the original poster and questions mixed up now..
Old 04-17-2012, 02:35 AM
kunte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have designed many 3D birds and the main difference (as in flying ability/style) is the position of the wing. This has two aspects, the moment arm, i.e. a short moment arm gives a much more responsive bird. But the position of the wing is also important. A low wing gives difficulties in handling, particularly at low speed manoeuvres, the plane seems more readily to spin on it,s axis (which of course is why trainers have high wings), in 3D a high wing gives more stability between manoeuvres. For a mid wing this is a good balance, however some models are very different to others in this configuration. I think it more affects the prop wash than the low/high wingers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTtxStJJyFI
Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 AM
djmoose
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any current 3DHS plane will outfly anything by Horizon....any day of the week. Don't even worry about wing loading. Trust me....once you fly a properly setup 3DHS or Extreme Flite plane, you'll understand what I mean and you'll wonder why other companies even bother making "3d capable" planes....because none of them come close to comparing to 3DHS or EF.

Here's the bottom line. If you want to learn 3D....sell every plane you have already got that you thought could fly 3D. Buy the biggest 3DHS or Extreme Flight plane you can afford...fly the plane on low rates until you're comfortable. Start to learn the harrier. Harrier all day until you dream about it.

After that, you'll figure the rest out.

Don't even bother with the Funtana. it's a waste of your time. I'm sure it flies good...and GREAT pilots can make it look even better...but it'll never compare to how a 3DHS or EF plane flies.

ORIGINAL: Jezmo

The Slick is a good bird no doubt but for me I would have to consider the fact that the Funtana 125 has about 100 more squares of wing. For those considering bigger gas engines that could make a difference. The way I read it is 9.5 lbs and just over 1100 inches of wing vs 10 lbs and just over 1000 inches of wing. For 3D work I am going to take that into consideration although 10 lbs on 1000 squares certainly isn't a deal killer in my eyes. In my experience much over 10 lbs on 1000 squares starts to get real squirrely. Just my two cents.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:23 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Something else to remember, an Extra 300 from EF may flight differently than an Extra 300 from Pilot RC (not better, just differently) same with two Yaks.

So saying a Yak or Slick is the best 3D bird.....is highly subjective at best and greatly depends on which design and how its set up.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Ernie Misner

I get teased at the field about my profiles not being "real airplanes". They are actually jealous of all the things the profiles are teaching me though.....

Ernie Misner
Old 05-09-2012, 01:31 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The nut between the stick is the best way to sepperate 3D birds. :-)

david
Old 05-09-2012, 02:36 PM
krayzc-RCU

djmoose well said +1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.