Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

what to use for spacers

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

what to use for spacers

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 08:35 PM
rcinspired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to use for spacers

hello,
for my DA 60 what is the best spacer to use between the fire wall and motor. should i use these metal donut like spacers or spacers made out of wood. which one is better for handling vibration.
thanks for your help
Old 05-26-2011, 04:38 AM
aussiesteve

Default RE: what to use for spacers

Depends on how far out you need to space it.

If it is less than an inch, I use a 7/8" holesaw in some thick ply and make wood "washers" for behind each mount point. If it is between 1" and 3" I use either a donut made fomr end grain balsa with a ply face on each side or some 3/4" hardwood squares. Anything over about 2 1/2" I prefer to move the firewall forward and use the "washers".

Confused now? That is because there are a few "correct" answers that will work. Some use aluminium standoffs also.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:20 AM
BlackB12
My Feedback: (9)

The DA60 comes with plywood spacers and tells you in the instruction manual that if you need more, to cut some out of plywood until the right standoff distance is achieved. I ended up cutting another 1/4 inch and a 1/8" piece to get the right spacing on mine. You're supposed to use the full contact spacers on the 60 rather than standoffs or donut shaped spacers for less flex and vibration reduction. As aussie steve says you could also move your firewall forward.

Mike
Old 05-27-2011, 05:35 AM
rcinspired

hello,
thanks very much for taking time to respond, i will use<meta charset="utf-8">full contact spacers for my DA 60 as you mentioned.

</meta>