Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Greetings All! Once again I return to the source of experts. I wasn't to sure where to post this s

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Greetings All! Once again I return to the source of experts. I wasn't to sure where to post this s

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 06:45 AM
Mr_Grump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greetings All! Once again I return to the source of experts. I wasn't to sure where to post this s

Greetings All!

Once again I return to the source of experts. I wasn't to sure where to post this so if I need to move it, please let me know.

I have a Edge 540-T with the old style DLE-30cc. I purchased it at least a couple of years ago and I finally got around to putting it together. It's Asian import. I've had a terrible time trying to get it balanced. My translated and photocopied manual states the CG is 144mm from the leading edge at the root. My first flight was terrible. It behaved like it was extremely tail heavy but I managed to get it back on the ground with a bent gear and broken prop. Pretty lucky.

I suspected the CG noted in the manual was a translation error so I tried several different approaches. First, I went to Aeroworks and looked at their 30cc 540T manual(next time, I'll spend the money for one of theirs). Their CG was an improvement but still a handful to keep flying. Another broken prop.

I then tried the on-line CG calculators. Another CG derived and still a handful to fly though an improvement. Yep.... another broken prop. It pitches up and down in flight.

I'm hoping someone here has flown the aircraft successfully. I'd like to know their CG.

Valley View RC has almost the identical plane however I believe theirs is for the new DLE-30. I'm uploading a photo hoping someone can offer guidance.

Thanks a lot....

Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2011, 02:37 PM
bjor

Default RE: Greetings All! Once again I return to the source of experts. I wasn't to sure where to post this s

The attachment picture is only small, but in every instance a nose haevy plane will fly better than a tail heavy one. Most would surgest a CG of where the spar plugs in but try placing the CG around where the red and white covering meet on the top of the wings. Also make sure you dial down the elevators and reduce the throws. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Mr_Grump

Default RE: Greetings All! Once again I return to the source of experts. I wasn't to sure where to post this s

Thanks BJOR

I agree. I added substantial more weight to the nose. That ended up being a waste of time however. After many close calls trying to find the sweet spot, I had one close call to many and it wasn't the planes fault. I took off normally and climbed to about 15' when the engine died for some reason. It was to low to turn around so I tried to make a long distance landing. It was a total loss.

At first I was disappointed. It didn't take long to get a feeling of relief. I'm glad it's over. I'd been fighting the thing for to long and it wasn't fun anymore.

I did learn a lesson or two. The most important one in my opinion was to stay away from fly-by-night imports. There are many imports out there that are good birds and fly well. This wasn't one of them. From now on, I'll buy better aircraft knowing I can go to the source if I have issues instead of using trial and error.

Thanks for your reply BJOR.....

Old 07-18-2011, 05:47 PM
kerwin50

I don't this it was the old style DLE VS the new style DLE weight. The cg was probaly for 3D. I had the same problem with a GW MX2.
I put my CG in front of the wing tube.
Tne manual called for a 4 7/8 from the leading edge but aseveral 3D flyers fly it at 5 1/2
My MX is such a joy to fly now
Here's the link to where I bought my MX
http://www.giantmodelproducts.com/in...1e931db49846ab
Old 07-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Mr_Grump

Thanks kerwin50. I'll check it out.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:32 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Mr. Grump:

Actually getting older and slower has helped my 3-D flying. I find I am now using 50-70% expo with 45% surface movement typical. And yes, can finally do a decent rolling circles. All 3-D birds are not created equal. Some highly recommend in the books and reports I call flat junk thats trash on receipt. Some of the foamies are great flyers. Favorite of all time, Precision Aeronotics 50" Addiction, yes a electric. Build exactly per plans and recommendations for best results.

(Being old does not make you a expert, but it helps)
Old 07-21-2011, 07:58 AM
JRgraham
My Feedback: (1)

Mr_Grump,

Iwould almost wonder how you have all your gear setup in the plane. Is your equipment spread out somewhat throughout your airframe? Or do you have clumps of equipment in spots here and there?

When you have all your gear 'clumped' in spots, it will make it harder to balance, since there is just clumped weight in specific spots, rather than distributed somewhat evenly throughout your airframe.

Clumped weight will make the balance point be a SUPERfine line, and near imposible to find. the slightest fraction of an ounce at the tail could cause the balance point to go extreme tail heavy for flight characteristics. Also, when your in flight, the clumped weight will have drastic momentem when flying. Giving an out of balanced characteristic.

Iwould suggest trying to distribute your equipment more evenly in the plane, and then try to balance it out for flight.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Mr_Grump

Thanks Everyone for your advice and support however my luck finally ran out. Engine died on take off about 30' up. Not knowing the plane I was afraid to try and turn around. Tried a long distance landing but it didn't work out. Totaled.

I was disappointed initially. Strangely enough, that turned in to a sigh of relief. I was glad it was over. I'd put so much time and effort into trying to figure it out I was glad I didn't have to mess with it anymore.

I'm sure it lwasn't the plane. I'd tried most everything and on the last flight, added weight to the nose. My regulators, batteries were pretty much distributed evenly each side of the wing tube. My flying club has very few really active members and I've not seen one fly a large 3-D bird. I was pretty much on my own.

I'll do it again but with more research on well know suppliers.

Thanks again to you all....