Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

How to set up for 3D

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

How to set up for 3D

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 05:14 AM
dbarnes6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to set up for 3D

I'm a deployed soldier, and I have a little downtime everyday. I bought a flight simulator and brought my crappy old fm transmitter to use on it. I'm using ClearView BTW. I'm just wondering what is the best set up to learn 3D I have a few planes on the sim that I have had some pretty good luck with, but what do I need to set my rates and Expo to. I can do some pretty neat stunts like spins, flatspins, low passes, loops, cubans, and most of those inverted, but what I really want to learn how to do is harrier and hover. Can someone help me out as far as setting up for rates and expo?
Old 01-22-2012, 06:43 AM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: How to set up for 3D

High rates on all three controls (aileron, rudder and elevator). Use 50 - 70% expo on all three also. Choose a plane that seems to hover well. I'm not familiar with that simulator, so can't recommend a specific plane. Most profile planes and most large aerobatic planes will harrier.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:29 AM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

I can recommend in general because I haven't heard of that simulator but for 3D, usually about 25% expo and high rates with maximum throw.
Too high of expo and you will tend to over-correct. No mixes especially for learning.
There are a few good planes for Realflight 3.5 or higher which comes with a transmitter-controller.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:03 AM
dbarnes6

When you say high rates, what exactly does that mean.  Like what are the numbers. or percentages.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:13 AM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

You can set up low rates on a switch which are some percentage of the maximum throw on a transmitter. In the case of 3D, you want all the throw you can get.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:14 AM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

On the transmitter itself, set the servo travels to 125% (for JR or Spektrum). If it's a Futaba transmitter, it's called "EPA - End Point Adjustment". The idea is to get the surfaces to move about 35 - 55 degrees, esp rudder and elevator