Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Sites for gas setup advice.

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Sites for gas setup advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 08:21 AM
Skerts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sites for gas setup advice.

That's a good point.. The gear switch on my TX will be the IGN switch. Thanks, saves a connection for sure. 
As for the charger, I googled CellPro and just wanted to ask if it's the Revo Cell Pro that you're referring too? 
Thanks again. 
Old 03-20-2013, 08:49 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know exactly what you're looking for but this link is what I have been useing for a few years. Works really well.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html
Old 03-20-2013, 09:52 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not needing the extra switchis true but if you plan ever to fly in an IMAAgiant event you must have 2 means of killing the engine, one on the plane such as a switch and one from the radio, such as a servo controling the choke oran optokill switch. I prefer adding the additional switch for 2 reasons 1.if I accidently leave the switch on the transmitter in the wrong position while testing servo'sI won'thave a hot ign withoutthe switch on the planebeing on. 2. I use 2 batteries as suggested by Steveover at Hangtimes because if the ign unit shorts it will drain your battery in a hurry and could make your dead stick landing into an uncontrolled missle. Whats one more 4oz battery on a 15-20 lb plane? They use to fly airplanes without parachutes at one time also.Just my way of setting it up and all of the suggestions will work, whatever your comfortable with, k.i.s.s is good to a point. Welcome to the world of gas opinions
ORIGINAL: acerc

wyo you are absolutely correct in that the Ultra does not need a switch. I use one because my Futaba radio has a servo test function that I use. During that function it cycles all channels hence my extra switch so the ignition is not cycled on and off. Else wise one is not needed. Good catch. And I as well do not remove my battery for charging. I made an adapter for the balance plug to run through a typical switch charge port.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Skerts

So to go with two switches or not is the question.. Maybe I'll install the two even with the IBEC, because why not really? 
As for an ignition short and draining a battery, I had this concern too until I read that ignition shorts are extremely rare in and of themselves. However, the real kicker here is that when using a Tech Aero IBEC (or similar), the current is limited so that's an extra fail safe too. I read that somewhere on RCU. 
Old 03-20-2013, 10:50 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Second time I heard this fallacy, and I can tell you that shorting the ignition and draining the battery isn't something you'll deal with often. If that time comes along please play the lotto because you'll have better odds of winning power ball.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Skerts

That's what I've been reading too.. An IGN short is crazy rare and somewhat safe with an IBEC because of current limiting right? 
Also, Barracuda, the Revo CellPro for a charger? I like the look and price of the Multi4 haha. 

Old 03-20-2013, 12:17 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

I use a Cell Pro 4, just plug into the balance lead and charge.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:58 PM
acerc

I use to use only one switch. But one day at the field I was squated down beside my plane making some minor adjustments to the throw programming. A friend came over and squated down in front of it and commenced to talking with me. Then in the midst of our conversing he grabbed the prop and apparently rotated it past the pick up. And varoom the bloody the started, scared the **** out of him and me. No he did not get hit or hurt. That was the last of the single switches.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Skerts

Thanks again guys, so I've made a few solid decisions..
I'm definitely going with LiFe for batteries.
Most likely going for the CellPro Multi4.
Definitely going to install two switches.
Definitely going with an IBEC, most likely Tech Aero because of the support here.
I am however, still a little hung up on the BatShare vs single battery argument. I'm stuck between running one 3200 LiFe battery or two 1800-2100 LiFe batteries through a BatShare.
Thanks a lot for all the help and advice so far, I've definitely learnt a lot in these few days so far.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:20 PM
acerc

Hey skirts I'm gonna throw another option in there for ya being that you're considering two batt's. Useing two batt's one for the rx and one for the ign is easy to do even with the Tech Aero, just remove the black and red wire from the IBEC's plug to the rx, insert into another housing and plug into the battery. That battery will power the ign but the rx battery will operate the control of the IBEC.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Texastbird

Being that this was asked in the 3D forum, I am trying to keep my mouth shut, but I would run just one battery on a 30cc plane. I have done this for quite some time and it is plenty of capacity if you are willing to recharge every few flights or so. The Tech Aero ibec is a good unit and weighs very little. Simple is better, and adding lightness makes the plane fly better.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Michel

Hi

Here is my set-up For my 120 size Zero , it has a DLE-35RA .

Also ,........... +1 for the above post ,................. keep it simple .

Michel
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66348.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	1864608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69496.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	1864609  
Old 03-20-2013, 03:00 PM
acerc

Oh! Oh! Oh! Michel where did that throttle set up come from? Man that's a good idea,I like that. Just seeing it I can make it but if available comercially I could use it for build of other's planes.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Michel

Hi

Why , thank you .
I also do heli,s ,...................... if you look at the pivot arm ( it,s too small to see ) , there are two ball bearings supporting that arm . I believe they are 6mm X 5mm . There is absolutely , " NO SLOP " . And when setting the throttle low speed idle , and useing a digital servo , it,s very , very precise .

I go to the field to fly ,......................... not to tinker

Michel
Old 03-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Skerts

So do you think I should just skip the BatShare and the IBEC altogether.
Should I just approach this with the tried and true method..
One 2100 LiFe Battery ~ Switch ~ RX
Then one 1800 LiFe Battery ~ Switch ~ Rcexl Opto Kill ~ Ignition
That's keeping it simple.
I think it's either that or a single 3200 LiFe Battery ~ Switch ~ RX ~ Tech Aero IBEC ~ Switch ~ IGN
That one seems a little more complicated. What do you think? Will a single 3200 LiFe battery be sufficient for RX, 6 digi servos, opto kill and IGN?
Old 03-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Michel

Hi

There are many good systems out there . What is more important is that you know youre battery's and , " UNDERSTAND " them . Cycling them , is understanding them .

I,ve already started cycling my battery,s for the coming season .

Michel
Old 03-20-2013, 04:35 PM
acerc

Skerts the two batteries on a split system would be the simplest and safest route. Later on after you get a feel for the batteries and how these systems work you can make any modifications to suit your needs and or desire.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:39 PM
acerc

Michel I was under the impression that Lipo's and /or LiFe batteries do not benefit from cycling.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Skerts

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, I might just go the two separate batteries route for simplicity.
Alternatively, is it possible to use both universal outputs of a single LiFe Battery? Is this too much stress for one of these batteries?
If that's ok to do then I was considering this:

Switch ~ RX
/ \
One 3200 LiFe \
\ \
Switch ~ Rcexl Opto Kill ~ Ignition

How would that work? Could I expect 4-5 flights of 6-8 minutes on a single charge? I know that's a relative question but I'm just looking for ball park..
Old 03-20-2013, 04:53 PM
Michel

ORIGINAL: acerc

Michel I was under the impression that Lipo's and /or LiFe batteries do not benefit from cycling.
Hi

You , " ARE " , absolutely correct . storing lipo,s is taking good care of them, like , " NOT " draining them is extremely important .
Sorry if I misled you .

Michel
Old 03-20-2013, 06:10 PM
acerc

Skerts that is my set-up and I get 4-6 flights of 6-8 minutes with a reasonable amount of spare mah's.
Michel you did not mislead just clarifying for other readers. I charge at 1c and do my best to not use more than 80% of available mah's. I have a few Lipo's that are four years old and still working as good as new.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Skerts

Thanks Ace. I think that's what I'll do then. So to clarify, it's perfectly acceptable to use both outputs of one LiFe battery then? Each to their own switch then one to RX, the other to an Opto Kill where it splits one wire to the RX and the other to the IGN..
Old 03-20-2013, 07:01 PM
MKnutson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my gassers, one a 30cc and the other a 50cc, I run a single 2100 two cell LiFe A123 pack to power both the Rx and the ign.
On an average day I might use 400-500mah for recharge to top off the batts. when I get home.
All the ign. power comes from the gear port through a rcxcel switch.....works flawless, and very simple!
I run two power wires out of the battery through two switches into seperate ports on the Rx.

Mark.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:14 PM
acerc

You got it skerts just be sure you take the black and red from the IBEC reciever plug for the ign battery.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:15 PM
Skerts

Thanks for the input Mark. Do you use any regulators in your system or is it perfectly fine to run one battery through two switches to the same RX without regulators? Also, with your system, your only ignition switch is your gear switch on your transmitter right? 

I'm definitely thinking that this, one battery, both outputs is the way that I want to go. 

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.