Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

funstar 3d?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

funstar 3d?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 02:27 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: funstar 3d?

Thanks, more to think about lol.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:26 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course, as many others will suggest, you can't go wrong with a Stik. It can do 3D also. Not as pretty as the Extra, but the 60 sized stiks are better than the 40 and giants IMO. I have a Giant Big Stik and even though it is quite impressive with its flying ability, it is not as dynamic as the 60-sized Stik.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:08 PM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

Of course, as many others will suggest, you can't go wrong with a Stik. It can do 3D also. Not as pretty as the Extra, but the 60 sized stiks are better than the 40 and giants IMO. I have a Giant Big Stik and even though it is quite impressive with its flying ability, it is not as dynamic as the 60-sized Stik.
What??? I have a .40 big stick and it's nowhere near 3d, never heard that before.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:15 PM
ameyam

I have the Phoenix extra 330s with a dle 20. It had too much nose weight for 3d but was a nice docile flier. Mine never tip stalled but I did need to keep some speed at landing. Mainly due to the nose weight. I suggest to go with it & a 9p size engine

Ameyam
Old 05-24-2013, 05:05 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: ameyam

I have the Phoenix extra 330s with a dle 20. It had too much nose weight for 3d but was a nice docile flier. Mine never tip stalled but I did need to keep some speed at landing. Mainly due to the nose weight. I suggest to go with it & a 9p size engine

Ameyam
+1
Old 05-24-2013, 05:07 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: t-max97

What??? I have a .40 big stick and it's nowhere near 3d, never heard that before.
I didn't think the 40 would be 3D. But a guy at the club has a 60-size stick with a high performance 75 on a pipe and he has unlimited 3D ability.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:25 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

I didn't think the 40 would be 3D. But a guy at the club has a 60-size stick with a high performance 75 on a pipe and he has unlimited 3D ability.

Stick and 3D don't go togeather ... thats like day one stuff

Old 05-24-2013, 05:50 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: zacharyR

Gotta disagree with you. I've seen it with my own eyes. I have flown it in my Giant Big Stik.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:16 AM
zacharyR

[quote]ORIGINAL: hsukaria

Gotta disagree with you. I've seen it with my own eyes. I have flown it in my Giant Big Stik. [8

LOL come on dude get real

just hover a stick for a short time IS NOT 3D dude ...

has unlimited 3D ability. ??

just be real dude and stop talking none sense

Old 05-24-2013, 07:06 AM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

some people call unlimited vertical and hovering 3D...
Old 05-24-2013, 09:01 AM
t-max97

What do you consider "3d"? Yeah sure I can hover my stick for a little while but I don't consider that 3d.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:18 AM
hsukaria

What do you consider ''3d''? Yeah sure I can hover my stick for a little while but I don't consider that 3d.
True, it may not be an all out 3D plane, but you can set it up to do some post-stall high alpha maneuvers besides hovering (I am talking about the Great Planes Big Stik - it may also apply to the Hangar 9 Ultra Stik). It has a thick symmetrical airfoil wing with a large wing area. Even though the elevator is small for a pure 3D machine, you can increase the travel. I am not a 3D hotshot flyer, but I have done harriers with my Giant Stik, even though it is not setup for 3D. I would have to move the CG aft on my Giant Stik to make it do more 3D. That is why I use the U-Can-Do 46 for my 3D flying.

I've seen a 40-size Stik that wasn't much of a stunter. Even though my Giant Stik is capable, it is fairly heavy. The 60-size Stik I have seen flying is more capable of 3D maneuvers, I think. Also realize that there are some Stiks out there that are more like a trainer (some of the cheaper ARFs) with flat-bottom airfoil wings and large dihedral. Those are definitely out as far as 3D.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:33 AM
t-max97

What do you consider ''3d''? Yeah sure I can hover my stick for a little while but I don't consider that 3d.
True, it may not be an all out 3D plane, but you can set it up to do some post-stall high alpha maneuvers besides hovering (I am talking about the Great Planes Big Stik - it may also apply to the Hangar 9 Ultra Stik). It has a thick symmetrical airfoil wing with a large wing area. Even though the elevator is small for a pure 3D machine, you can increase the travel. I am not a 3D hotshot flyer, but I have done harriers with my Giant Stik, even though it is not setup for 3D. I would have to move the CG aft on my Giant Stik to make it do more 3D. That is why I use the U-Can-Do 46 for my 3D flying.

I've seen a 40-size Stik that wasn't much of a stunter. Even though my Giant Stik is capable, it is fairly heavy. The 60-size Stik I have seen flying is more capable of 3D maneuvers, I think. Also realize that there are some Stiks out there that are more like a trainer (some of the cheaper ARFs) with flat-bottom airfoil wings and large dihedral. Those are definitely out as far as 3D.
Mine is the great planes big stik with a fully symmetrical wing with no dihedral, sure it can be very aerobatic if you want but no 3d that's for sure.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:22 PM
hsukaria

Mine is the great planes big stik with a fully symmetrical wing with no dihedral, sure it can be very aerobatic if you want but no 3d that's for sure.
Yep, the Phoenix Extra would do the job.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:26 PM
nitro wing

Yep, the Phoenix Extra would do the job.
NO on the Phoenix Extra either, on a 10 scale, 10 being top notch the phoenix extra would rate a 6-7/10 at best, thats a fact, tested and tried and posted by many..
Old 05-24-2013, 07:55 PM
t-max97

Well, the more I look the more it seems you pretty much have to move up in size to get the flying characteristics I'm looking for so I'm probably going to wait, sell a couple things and hopefully apply for a job tomorrow (I'm 15) and get something in the 30cc range, I really like the 3dhs 30cc aj slick. Thanks to everyone for the input!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:16 PM
nitro wing

Good thought
instead of wasting $$ in various entry level planes, get a decent one right way and learn with it, most of the high end planes can be set up mild as a trainer and are easy to fly and then trick them out to skills you aquire over time .
get your self a decent 30cc DLE or 35cc DLE or OS GT33 or similar, skip some of the low end ebay gas motors.
Get yourself a nice EF/ 3DHS/Aeroworks or Pilot RC and have the best fun ever. Saving and spending 20-30% more on a better plane and servos and motors will pay back right away, and not have to upgrade and spend more and upgrade again, save and get a good combo, you will be much more happier.
Most 30cc, with nice electronics/motor and radio can be 1500$ to 2000$
Old 05-24-2013, 09:03 PM
t-max97

I had it estimated at about $1000.

71" AJ slick- $450

DLE 30cc, props,extensions, spinner,fuel line,servo's ect with $90 tower coupon- $510

That's $960, what am I missing? lol
Old 05-25-2013, 08:27 AM
nitro wing

lots
depends on batteries and servos, you gonna run 30$ servos or 120$ servos, I think the slick uses onlyon elevator servo,if using gas I would recomend a second seperate servo.
my $ included TX and RX
add switches, optic kill, A123 capble charger if using those..
add a filter, perhaps a better exhaust or canister as the DLE is hideous sounding and loud.
depends where are you from
add shiping and taxes
you will be well over 1000$
Old 05-25-2013, 12:17 PM
zacharyR

screw the AJ slick for sure get the phoenix extra its bad ass and its really a unlimtted 3D plane I've been flying for 70 years and I know 3d even though 3D hasn't been around for 70 years

and the pheniox extra weights about as much as a tank and those supper small control surfaces will KICK ass in 3D .. hell it doesn't matter I know what im' talking about and I know 3d

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81581.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1885404  
Old 05-25-2013, 03:06 PM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

lots
depends on batteries and servos, you gonna run 30$ servos or 120$ servos, I think the slick uses onlyon elevator servo,if using gas I would recomend a second seperate servo.
my $ included TX and RX
add switches, optic kill, A123 capble charger if using those..
add a filter, perhaps a better exhaust or canister as the DLE is hideous sounding and loud.
depends where are you from
add shiping and taxes
you will be well over 1000$
I have a tx/rx, (may get another one if I get this plane though) a life/lipo charger and I don't mind the loud exhaust, our field is in a pretty rural area so the sound is not an issue. These are the servo's I was looking at http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAXFE&P=ML they have more torque than some recommended by 3dhs for the slick, plus I won't be doing much serious 3d for a while. I didn't think about the switches but that can't add much, no taxes but there will be shipping on the plane but not from tower because I'm a member. It still shouldn't be a whole lot more than I had figured.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:07 PM
t-max97

screw the AJ slick for sure get the phoenix extra its bad ass and its really a unlimtted 3D plane I've been flying for 70 years and I know 3d even though 3D hasn't been around for 70 years

and the pheniox extra weights about as much as a tank and those supper small control surfaces will KICK ass in 3D .. hell it doesn't matter I know what im' talking about and I know 3d

This is very sarcastic isn't it? lol
Old 05-25-2013, 04:18 PM
nitro wing

It's a basic no frills set up
, those servos are adequate but nothing
Special and marginal for a bigger plane with
A more aggressive pilot,
Get what you can , but don't argue the
Fact that its easy to spend 2 k $ on a fully
Equipped 30cc with ease ok?
Old 05-25-2013, 04:24 PM
JRgraham

Old 05-25-2013, 04:45 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

It's a basic no frills set up
, those servos are adequate but nothing
Special and marginal for a bigger plane with
A more aggressive pilot,
Get what you can , but don't argue the
Fact that its easy to spend 2 k $ on a fully
Equipped 30cc with ease ok?
Ok, maybe the Funstar isn't that bad after all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.