Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

OS (or DLE) v/s Saito

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

OS (or DLE) v/s Saito

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 06:05 AM
ameyam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS (or DLE) v/s Saito

Hi,

We are mostly a OS field and mostly 2C. I and a couple of others have been using 4C engines for some time. Some ASP engines have been tested but none on 3D airplanes. Now, a local vendor is taking preorders for Saito engines. I know most of them are 4C. They are atleast a third more expensive then OS (and dle if you look at gas). How do they compare to OS for 3D airplanes?

Ameyam
Old 06-12-2013, 07:41 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: OS (or DLE) v/s Saito

I have zero intrest in dumping money into a Satio onless its some kind of scale project ..

I feel bigger planes gas .. smaller then 1/4 scale under 10 pounds eletric just seems to be the way to go

Old 06-12-2013, 10:13 AM
ameyam

There is the FG20 you know
Old 06-12-2013, 07:19 PM
phase5
My Feedback: (2)

I have many Saito's all sizes all glow no gasser, I think you get what you pay for and they are not much more than simlar OS's. I would take the Saito over the OS anytime and the OS is a great engine. You should atleast try one if you have the spare money.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:45 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: zacharyR

I have zero intrest in dumping money into a Satio onless its some kind of scale project ..

I feel bigger planes gas .. smaller then 1/4 scale under 10 pounds eletric just seems to be the way to go

Ill go with Zach
just get a plane that will fly on gasoline if doing aerobatic and 3D on 2 stroke gas,
this other talk is nonsense, if you dont have the money$$ or availablitly, just leave it alone.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:58 PM
JRgraham

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

ORIGINAL: zacharyR

Ill go with Zach
just get a plane that will fly on gasoline if doing aerobatic and 3D on 2 stroke gas,
this other talk is nonsense, if you dont have the money$$ or availablitly, just leave it alone.

Now thats just plain

Old 06-13-2013, 07:38 PM
nitro wing

No it aint.

ameyam asks a thousand questions, and then goes ahead with a different original plan altogether, a major pattern here, just go through the treads....
hes not going to buy a top end plane or servos or motors, its always about saving and cutting back.

He is not going to use a big 4 stroke Nitro or gas 4 stroke engine for his purpose.

If he actually is considering a mid size ship for 3D and advance his skills, a 2 stroke gasoline like a DLE or similar is likely a good choice.
A 4 stroke of good standards will be 2x as much$$ sure an ASP may get the job done marginaly.
Bottom line is, if really wanting to advance in good 3D, you need to get good products and lots of airtime.

entry level planes and acessories, will in most cases, always leave you at " entry level" struggling and being frustrated, because you are not advancing much.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:08 AM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

+1 on what nitrowing said! You always need to take advice given online with a grain(shovelful?) of salt, but our friend ameyam has repeatedly ignored said advice and done it his own way anyway...
Old 06-14-2013, 09:36 PM
ameyam

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

No it aint.

ameyam asks a thousand questions, and then goes ahead with a different original plan altogether, a major pattern here, just go through the treads....
hes not going to buy a top end plane or servos or motors, its always about saving and cutting back.

He is not going to use a big 4 stroke Nitro or gas 4 stroke engine for his purpose.
Hi,

I tend to ask questions, get everyone's opinion and they decide what I feel is best, based on the replies. Nothing wrong with asking questions, you learn that way.

After being out with a back condition for a year, I had been flying this Bipe this season with the 110 and we were hovering 60% power before the midair. Its still intact, just gained a bit of weight and the 110 tends to react a trifle late. Synthetic glow fuel is expensive, so I was wondering whether I should put in a gasser next season.

I do have a number or " larger airplanes" in boxes -Funtana, Extra, Mx2 etc but transportation restrictions is stopping me from getting those out right away. I just opened up my first 30cc airplane and am setting it but but I ran out of time as the monsoon is here. With the condition of the economy, its too early to go for a 50cc yet. The smaller airplanes have a rougher ride, so I tend to not use my top end stuff in them. But on the Bipe I have already used some of my most expensive stuff already, thats why I am looking to get more out of it. Look at this video, thats where it was this season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLX9dZk0dHI

Ameyam
Old 06-15-2013, 11:12 AM
ameyam

Ok, I took the 110 out for off-season storage. I took the oppurtunity to test fit the dle. Now ideally I would use a 120-180 GP mount. But that will require to redrill the firewall & I want to keep the possibility of going back to the 110 if required. The 110 uses the 60-120 mount. To put the dle on that mount even when stretched to the widest at bolting, I have to spread the beams out just a bit, may be a couple of mm. I can still get the mount installed on the firewall & the dle on the mount. Is that acceptable to do?

Ameyam