Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Torque Roll World Record in Lebanon, TN

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Torque Roll World Record in Lebanon, TN

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 11:52 AM
AirplaneBlaine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Roll World Record in Lebanon, TN

Hey guys, Just wanted to thank all the pilots that came to Lebanon this past weekend. It was by far the best event that I have ever attended. We had the largest gathering of top 3D pilots in the world there. It was pretty cool seeing all those 40% airplanes everywhere. We also broke a world record having 13 40% airplanes all torque rolling on the runway at the same time. I can't wait to see the pictures. It was open flying all day every day with the exception of Frank Noll, Mike Sauls and myself doing demos. The flying started on Wednesday and ended on Sunday. The weather was just perfect all weekend. My hat goes off to Jeff and Fran Newman on their hospitality and providing one of the best flying sites I've ever seen. Great food, music, airplanes and all your flying buddies at one spot, well It just doesn't get any better than that. I would also like to thank Darlene Cline for providing free autographed posters and Carden Aircraft for giving away hats and shirts..
Old 10-06-2003, 12:23 PM
Luke 3D returns

Default RE: Torque Roll World Record in Lebanon, TN

got to have pictures!
Old 10-06-2003, 12:41 PM
gravityrulz
My Feedback: (2)

HOW MANY ARE WE GOING TO HAVE IN MEMPHIS?
Old 10-06-2003, 02:20 PM
3dpilot

Yes sir. it was trully a blast. Not a single boar bird. and with 13 of us up in the air no midairs because it was planned out and everything went great. There was alot of videos going as well and Im sure well see them soon. This is the place to go if you want to learn from the best. Just watching and learning from guys like Blaine, Mike Sauls, Frank Noll, Joey hamilton and I know Im forgetting some of the other hot dogs (sorry) is worth the trip. Each and everyone of them will take time out to give you tips. And you wont find better host than the Newmans anywhere. If you can only go to one flyin a year, make this it.

Dave Gustafson
ps. the lebanon girls are to die for.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:05 PM
J B Hamilton

It was big fun for sure, made some new friends, saw some old friends, looked at some new designs and Jeff & Fran Newman are nothing less than first class!!! Blaine I'll see you, Mike and the rest of the gang here in two weeks, we'll have to bump it up a notch <G> Joey H.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:53 PM
Dead Plane Flying
My Feedback: (1)

What an event! Everything from Blaine's 50% Edge routine,Jerry Smith's 130 MPH Delta wing outlaw, Joey's on the deck harrier rolls, Mike Sauls and Frank Noll's formation flying,THE 13 PLANE TORQUE ROLL GAGGLE, to Frank's wicked Knife edge circles with his Carden 35% Edge. There were so many great pilots, it's hard to mention everything that went on. You didn't want to blink. thinking you might miss something. The hospitality of Fran and Jeff was the best you hope to see in people. Thanks to Dennis and Caroline for their great support. Your exactly right about Prattville Joey, see you guys there.
Wes
Old 10-07-2003, 08:05 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Torque Roll World Record in Lebanon, TN

A big thank you to Blaine, Joey and Wess. Caught you guys in 2002 at Chatanooga and made some nice aquaintances. It's great that you go around to promote the hobby and 3D specifically. It's another level that's for sure. When you've been in the hobby for 25 to 30 years you almost need something new and exciting to keep the adrenaline flowing and interest up. If not you move on to basket weaving or something[X(]
Old 10-07-2003, 11:23 AM
J B Hamilton

Thanks for the kind words Bob, It's all about fun and fellowship, with guys like you to cheer us on it makes it all worth while.......I think I speak for all the guys when I say......we've been blessed more than we deserve and are glad to help any way we can.......Take care, Joey H.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:41 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: AirplaneBlaine

We also broke a world record having 13 40% airplanes all torque rolling on the runway at the same time. I can't wait to see the pictures.

Yes,
Gotta see some pics bro, must have been a circus event out there [sm=bananahead.gif]
RickP
Old 10-07-2003, 01:13 PM
AirplaneBlaine

Hey gravutyrulz, I will be in Memphis along with Hal Jennings and Duane Long.
Blaine
Old 10-07-2003, 05:09 PM
AirplaneBlaine

It was awesome just to see and hear 13 planes in the air but throw in 13 planes torque rolling down low and words just don't describe it. I know I found myself just looking at all the planes instead of flying my own which isn't good when your a few feet off the ground. I know that Pete Rosa, Joey Hamilton and Wes Batson were doing the same. We had our four planes all bunched in a group and we all had the temptation to look down the runway at all the other planes. One person described it like a bunch of geese descending down from the sky when we all were in elevators coming in to start the torque roll. It was the most fun I've had at a fly in since I can remember. Everyone was laughing having a great time and best of all we had no whiners there complaining about not getting to fly because of the 3D flying. If you didn't get to fly as much as you wanted it was your own fault, 3D flying or not. Jeff Newman had three rules, You better be smilling, No War Birds and No race track pattern. The Extreme Aerobatic Club has two 3D fly in's left. October 17-18 in Prattville, AL and November 7-8 in Mobile, AL. I have directions and hotel information on my website. I think you will find as much excitement and fun at these as we had in Lebanon.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:53 PM
3DRC
My Feedback: (3)

Guys,

I am looking forward to seeing you in Prattville. It has been a while... Too long, since I watched you guys. I sure wish I had been in Lebannon. Wes has a hard time describing how much fun it was through the excitement that he is still riding on.

We are also gettin' set for everyone to come and fly again here in Mobile the 7-9 of Nov. You know we always have a great time. Its nice to have the support of a fantastic club behind an event like this.

See ya' Next weekend!

Bean

PS - Blaine, no pics on the ol' web site yet ????
Old 10-07-2003, 11:08 PM
AirplaneBlaine

I will have photos of Lebanon on the web coming soon. Dar Cline was there and she took a lot of PICS. As soon as she sends them to me we will get them posted.
Blaine
Old 10-08-2003, 12:13 AM
badigital

All you can say in such a few words is "unbelievable 3D". What a mind blowing experience, thanks to all you guys who helped coordinate the show, it was the best one I have been to in a long time. Often, the crew at www.mw3D.com attends alot of fly ins all year and I have to say that this is the one that we all look forward to every year. Jeff and Fran are the most gracious people I have ever met and they live for the sure pleasure of 3D, no heli's, no circles and no frowns. The only warbird I seen all weekend was on the cover of a damn magazine (HEHEHEHEHE).

To see 13 pilots safely hoooover and torque roll all at the same time and all within spitting distance of each other was a feat that only could happen with pilots that "are in control". Joey I was glad to meet you. To the rest of you, Mike, Blaine, Frank, and our crew, I have to say that all you guys are a wealth of knowledge and looked up to by the rest, whom always say "How the hell did he do that?" Then yell out "Do it Again!" When have you ever heard that circle birds?

Don't know when we will meet and fly again together? I am going to put a 3D show on in MO next year. The Show-Me Extreme 3D in honor of our state slogan the Show Me State. So you alll will have to make it up here and show ME.

You can see allot of the picks at www.mw3D.com, find the picture of Steve/Sammy "Giggles" Hagar's Crucial.com Edge, next to the windsock, click on it and then click again to enlarge and you can see the counter balance coming off!!! COOL!!!!

http://www.mw3d.com/modules.php?set_...view_photo.php

See Ya,
Brian 3DNutt
Old 10-08-2003, 08:03 AM
nfisher

Absolutely awesome event. I drove 18.5 hours to attend it, and it was worth every mile. Blaine, Mike Sauls, Frank, Joey...were all gods. NO rules, just fun. What an amazing weekend. That is a MUST attend event.

Nick
Old 10-08-2003, 01:48 PM
nfisher

Been editing and posting new footage all day, several more movies up...and lots more coming. Be sure not to miss the mid-air at St Louis, very good crash on film.

Nick

[link=http://www.mw3d.com]www.mw3d.com[/link]
Old 10-08-2003, 01:58 PM
3dpilot

Now Now Nick:

I wouldn't call that a crash.... They both managed to flyout and land.

dave
Old 10-09-2003, 08:12 AM
nfisher

Several more videos up and available to view. Just click on pictures and movies, and then the Lebanon gallery from www.mw3d.com.

Nick
Old 10-09-2003, 09:11 AM
3dpilot

Bean:
How far from Chicago to Mobile???? I had so much fun in Lebanon Im not ready to put my planes away for the winter. We need to schedule a flyin in Fl. for december.

dave gustafson
Old 10-09-2003, 09:35 AM
3DRC

Mobile is down on the Alabama coast. We are between Pensacola Fl and New Orleans. If you have a family you can bring them for a last visit to the beach... The beach is 30 minutes from the fly in site.

We have a lot of fun here. It is a great club that really enjoys the gathering. We have had 1 or 2 every year for the past few years. You can go to Blaine's site to see pics of the previous years. Look at the Mobile and Fairhope fly ins. We lost the use of the Fairhope fly in site this year. It is a Polo field and we were "spooking" the horses.

Several of us back in 99 tried to get a 3D format going for GS events/competition but the competition side gave in pretty quick. 3D is a just for fun aspect of the hobby. Blaine luckely picked the ball up and has kept it going by having the Extreme events.

We hope you can make it. You will enjoy it.

Blaine, we need to do a new record... you want to try and hand launch your 50%??? We would need to find some really tall volunteers....

Bean
Old 10-09-2003, 10:02 AM
3dpilot

Thanks Bean;

I will look it up on blains site. Im 6'1 and still not tall enough for blains 50%. I saw Mikes hand launch. That was impressive.

And for everyone who hasn't been to an extreme 3D flyin. Go!!!!!!!!!!! unless your a warbird pilot and lost in this forum.

dave gustafson
Old 10-09-2003, 12:51 PM
3D EDGE

like all the messages before mine..... these are awesome fly-ins !!! if your new to 3d , come out ....you won't believe what airplanes can actually do & if your already into 3d come out and learn some new stuff. nicest group of guys willing to help anyone w/ setup ect....
these fly-ins are the only ones where i was not designated to a certain time slot and nobody wines like a baby about the way you fly.
hope to see everyone in mobile in nov.
best wishes ,
steve
Old 10-09-2003, 02:22 PM
3DRC

Dave,

I see your signature.... Ya' gotta love that flick.... But, you need to change it to

" This one time at an Extreme 3D Event.... "

Bean
Old 10-09-2003, 02:26 PM
3dpilot

Hang around with us a while... We have more slogans and nose art than any one I know.

And yes that sounds good. "One time at Extreme 3D Event:

dave