Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Mini 3D from Extreme Flight anyone get it yet ?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Mini 3D from Extreme Flight anyone get it yet ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 11:44 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mini 3d

That .15 CVX has plenty power to spin that prop...

The bigger prop will help keep the Mini-3D within it's speed envelope too.

Sounds like after some break-in these two engines will run neck and neck.

Thanks again for the RPM numbers too... keep us informed on them as it breaks-in!

I see you are in Ohio too... this plane should be a fantastic winter flyer with the ability to easily handlaunch it... if and when we get that thick, big-flake snow... you know... the one that is a white-out at about 100 yards... i' going to go fly in it! What a hoot, and the video ought to be somethign else.

ORIGINAL: All Thumbs

Maybe most people DO run an 8x4. This is my first experience with this engine and I went with the recommendations directly out of the 3D video. I've run one tank through the engine so far...a fairly big tank which ran it for about 30 mins. I didn't try to over tweak the rpms because I wanted to keep it rich. At one point I noticed an rpm reading in the neighborhood of 11,500. But I need to run another tank and take a more careful reading. Most of my breakin so far was done very rich keeping the rpms under 11k.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:49 AM
A. Holden

I came home from vacation last night and there was a box on my front porch....... I couldn't wait to open it and see how she looked. I am impressed. I think that I will start on it tonight. great to hear all your comments and tips on here. I'll post some pics when I finish.
what do you guys think about putting a norvel .25 on it???? is that too much or should I go with the .15???? I also have a os.25 sx lying around ...... what do you guys think about this engine??? thanks

alex
Old 12-08-2003, 11:56 AM
saddler
My Feedback: (93)

Thanks for the info on the knife edge problem. I actually kind of suspected that was the problem but didn't have a chance to do much messing with setup yesterday. It was freakin cold outside! I will definitely try the knife edge at a reduced rudder throw. Other wise, cool plane for sure. I'm still thinking about putting an OS .25FP on it. I added a little lead to the front to get it to balance and i think with the lead, it probably weighs close to what the .25 does. I could comfortably spin a 9X4 prop with that which would probably help out as well. That little 8X4 on the magnum is just screaming!

Wayne, it hasn't been started yet but probably fairly soon. I think Lonnie is finishing the 40% extra now and then is going to frame 2 more and then yours. Gonna be busy!
Old 12-08-2003, 01:07 PM
Jim Flannigan

I'm going with the Norvel .25, it weighs only 8oz including the muffler. I like to have plenty of power and there is not any weight penalty here.
Jim
Old 12-09-2003, 09:01 PM
A. Holden

mine seems to have a warped fuse...... I was jus tfitting all the pieces together and squaring up the wing and tail when I noticed that somewhere it is warped or the slots were not cut straight. here's a picture...... anybody got any suggestions.... it also looks like the fuse bends to the right at the rear..... any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69678.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	81142  
Old 12-09-2003, 09:26 PM
d boothe
My Feedback: (16)

ouch, that looks bad. Looks like you need a replacement fuse. To much to sand and fit on this size plane. From what i hear Extreme Flight is a stand up company. Mine was straight as an arrow but i could see where one degree could cause prolems by the time it gets to the tail.You could also try heating the tail section with a heat gun and twisting it back into place holding it till it cools. The fuse is very light built and appears to be vulnerable to covering. Hope this helps.

D Boothe
Old 12-09-2003, 10:46 PM
A. Holden

Default RE: <span class=

I've sent ExtremeFlight an email and I'm going to call them tomorrow. I'm sure that they will stand behind it. I can see how this plane could easily get warped when the covering is applied..... other than that I am really impressed with the quality of the plane. I can't wait to fly it....
Old 12-09-2003, 11:10 PM
d boothe
My Feedback: (16)

You will fall in love with the plane. Keep the weight at 2lbs or less and you will be happy

D Boothe
Old 12-10-2003, 12:21 AM
wuudogg
My Feedback: (14)

Anybody go electric / brushless with this plane yet ?

If so, would you fill me in on the setup?

Motor
Prop
Batteries

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2003, 12:38 AM
All Thumbs

ORIGINAL: Maudib

That .15 CVX has plenty power to spin that prop...

The bigger prop will help keep the Mini-3D within it's speed envelope too.

Sounds like after some break-in these two engines will run neck and neck.

Thanks again for the RPM numbers too... keep us informed on them as it breaks-in!

I see you are in Ohio too... this plane should be a fantastic winter flyer with the ability to easily handlaunch it... if and when we get that thick, big-flake snow... you know... the one that is a white-out at about 100 yards... i' going to go fly in it! What a hoot, and the video ought to be somethign else.
So far it seems the engine will have no problem with that prop. Still, it may perform better with another. Someone else on another thread recommended I prop down a little, that he had much better success with the engine but it was for a combat plane. I still like the idea of having the biggest wash of air I can over the surfaces for 3D...but I'm still new at it. I have no intentions of flying fast and the slower I can go the better. Much of what I want to do with this plane is just play around inside of a smaller field. Unfortunately the nearby hobby shop doesn't readily carry a lot of items I'd want...like an 8x4 prop to experiment with. When I get enough stuff together to make it worthwhile to mail order I may get one to try out.

I ran the engine for the second time today and my highest reading was 11,760. My fuel leads are a little long on my test setup and tomorrow I'm going to change that so they're a little more normal in length, and see again how it does (I don't know how much effect that may have).

And oh yeah, as you know there's plenty of snow that hits Lake County...but I'll fly through as much of it as feasible! I'm thinking the same thing...that this thing can be hand launched and maybe just harriered in for a landing in the snow. We'll see how it goes .

Dang, when is that plane going to get here? If it doesn't arrive soon I'm going to burst. The reports so far are very encouraging (except for your fuse A. Holden...I hope that gets remedied for you soon).

Chuck
Old 12-10-2003, 07:52 AM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

I had a small warp in my fuse too. I used the heat gun approach and I shaved a little from the stab slot. It's as straight as an arrow now.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:23 AM
EXTREME FLIGHT

I was warned by the manufacturer that during the various climate changes the aircraft will experience during transit from China the covering may loosen and then reshrink causing a slight twist in the fuse. While this is not typical, it can occur due to the ultra lightweight construction of the Mini 3D. This is usually remedied in a few minutes with the heat gun. Alex, if you are unable to correct the problem to your satisfaction, I will gladly replace your fuselage.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:02 AM
A. Holden

i didn't want to start on it with a heat gun because I felt that I could only make it worse....... I think that it is too far out of whack to use a heat gun...... I didn't want to try anything before I talked to you. It seems like the fuse is bowing to the left side when looking from the top and it also has a twist in it........ I'll try to call you this morning and discuss it. I am fairly inexperienced in covering planes and don't really want to mess with it. I will be glad to ship it back......

thanks

alex
Old 12-10-2003, 12:18 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

I have several Norvel engines from .061 to .25. My question is this, I had my Norvel 15 on a Stinger 10 but was not inspired by it, does anyone have any REAL numbers to share about the Norvel 15's performance on the 8x4 and the 9x4 props? I LOVE all my Norvels, but I think this one is weak. Any help wold be great. I plan to put it on a Mini 3D, but not if it's weak like I suspect.

This may be off topic, but there are a bunch of us wanting to use this engine on this plane.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:19 PM
A. Holden

I just ordered a norvel .25 for mine.......
Old 12-10-2003, 03:23 PM
All Thumbs

It's arrived! My plane is here and I'm impressed with the initial inspection. Very well packaged. Everything's near perfect but I will take out a slight bend in the rudder counterbalance...no big deal. I think there's just a couple of other spots I will tighten up but this is about as good as anything I've seen. Man this thing has a fat wing doesn't it?...about 2 3/4" thick...I like it.

Here's a list of the weights I've taken (the hardware package is still altogether in it's plastic bag):
[ul][*] Rudder/Vertical Stab ................... 0.8 oz[*] Elevator/Horizontal Stab .............. 1.5 oz[*] Ailerons ..................................... 1.3 oz[*] Wing ......................................... 5.0 oz[*] Fuselage .................................... 3.7 oz[*] Hardware ................................... 5.5 oz
----------------------------------------------------[*] Airframe Total (weighed together, not added up) .......... 12.2 oz[*] Total kit contents (weighed together, not added up)....... 17.8 oz
[/ul]
I've weighed my radio gear at 3.8 oz. That includes a 270mah battery, 555 receiver, four HS-81's, one HS-55, some foam, and a Y-harness. I'll still need about four extensions that will weigh about .2 ozs each so I'm estimating my radio gear to be at 4.6 ozs.

I weighed my engine in a previous post at 8.8 oz total (OS 15 CVA with exhaust extension and spinner). I get the following for a total weight:
[ul][*] Kit (from above) .............. 17.8 oz[*] Radio gear ...................... 4.6 oz[*] Engine ............................ 8.8 oz
---------------------------------------------[*] Total .............................. 31.2 oz
[/ul]
Of course there will be the weight of the glue and whatever else I forgot to include here . It looks like I'll have a plane at around 2 lbs anyway. We'll see how I do .

Chuck

-----------
Edit: FYI, the hardware package I refer to does include the plywood used for the firewall and engine mount, and includes four long 2/56 control rods that will be cut some)
Old 12-10-2003, 07:07 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Hey Wayne.... how this thing TR?? I didn't see any TR'g on the video.....
Old 12-10-2003, 09:14 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

TR's just fine Pauly,
The one in the video has the .15CVA.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:58 AM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Well... I couldn't resist... Ordered one today... Hoping it'll be a hoot....
Old 12-11-2003, 11:36 AM
All Thumbs

The answer to this question is probably obvious, but I have to ask to make absolutely sure before I epoxy the firewall. This plane gets RIGHT thrust, correct? Kind of a dumb question but better safe than sorry.

In my two years in this hobby I've never seen a plane get left thrust, and I can't imagine why you would want that...but the tray can fit in either way and the picture in the manual is a little blurry (or is it my eyes?). In fact, I first mistook it as being upside down from what it probably needs to be. The shadow of the throttle pushrod makes it look like the edge bracing is on top (those with the kit will know what I mean). I wasn't paying attention to the thrust line at first (which is not mentioned in the manual).

Chuck

Edit: Of course I'm not epoxying the firewall to the fuse, but to the tray...I'm not that dumb
Old 12-11-2003, 12:52 PM
saddler
My Feedback: (93)

Yes, it gets right thrust. I didn't pay close attention the first time i put it together and realized after i glued it that i had done it backwards. Just make sure you check and recheck because the firewall does have a top and bottom so it does matter which way you glue it to the tray. Mine flies great with a broken in Magnum .15!
Old 12-11-2003, 01:21 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

DON'T GLUE THE FIREWALL TO THE FUSE!!!! GLUE IT TOGETHER, THEN SCREW IT TO THE FUSE!!![X(]
Old 12-11-2003, 02:38 PM
A. Holden

could someone post a picture of the engine mount ???? I'm confused now as to what right thrust actually means.... the other profile that I built had it built into the motor mount so I didn't have to worry about it.... does it mean that the engine tilts to the left a little so that the thrust is to the right or is it the opposite?? thanks

alex
Old 12-11-2003, 02:40 PM
All Thumbs

ORIGINAL: saddler

Yes, it gets right thrust. I didn't pay close attention the first time i put it together and realized after i glued it that i had done it backwards. Just make sure you check and recheck because the firewall does have a top and bottom so it does matter which way you glue it to the tray. Mine flies great with a broken in Magnum .15!
Thanks bud...my post was as much of a warning as a question. That's easily overlooked (as you did and I almost did). My best advice for building this plane is to dry-fit everything prior to any glueing. Actually put the parts together and make sure you like what you have. It's an easy build, real easy...you're just doing it more or less without instructions. I'm going so far as to drill all holes, etc. to put the entire plane together without glue (I'm nearing completion of that phase).

Some parts are actually easier if you do it this way. For instance trimming the engine mount tray where it slides into the fuse. I had to sand a little off the back end of it to fit flush, I had to open the backend fuse holes a bit so the tray would fit through them, and then I had to sand off a little bit of what protruded into the wing area. All of that was MUCH easier without having the wing glued in. You could see what you were doing. It's going to be fun to go back and finish it all up.

DON'T GLUE THE FIREWALL TO THE FUSE!!!! GLUE IT TOGETHER, THEN SCREW IT TO THE FUSE!!!
That concern was posted way earlier in this thread, and I tried to head off someone saying it again with my edit above , but it certainly doesn't hurt to repeat it.

Chuck
Old 12-11-2003, 02:42 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Alex,

If you look at the mount from the top the front of the motor should be pointed to the right.
If your holding it upside down the front of the motor will be off to the left.

The mount has this angle cut into it just make sure it slants to the right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.