Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Anybody fly Stinger .10 in here?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Anybody fly Stinger .10 in here?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 10:50 AM
Abraxxas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody fly Stinger .10 in here?

I am building a .10 sized Lanier Stinger and am trying to decide on the engine I am going to put in it, I have modified the tail group and ailerons and a few other things to lighten it up so far. Just going to be a fun mess-around plane, not a 3D monster or anything. I want to know how big I have to go on the engine to make it hover around 1/2 throttle?? Any input on anybody flying one and what engine they're using and what kind of performance they are getting with it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian
Old 12-04-2003, 12:07 PM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Anybody fly Stinger .10 in here?

I had one back in the day before I knew what 3D was. It was powered with a TT .25. It had plenty of umph to it and would snap roll like nobodys business. I have seen one go with a TT pro .36 in it. It had a CF shaft through the wing and lots of tail bracing. The wing loading was high but the super fast speeds and rolls that were honestly a blur made up for it. Its a nice conversation piece I guess.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:16 PM
Boogie

How much is the overall weight?? This might help. What servos are you going to use?
Old 12-04-2003, 01:51 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

I have a TT Pro 25... Maybe I should check into this stinger 10...
Buddy of mine had one. Severly underpowered, would't climb, hit a barb-wire fence Can't remember what he had for horsepower though
Old 12-04-2003, 02:27 PM
Abraxxas

Cool, there is somebody out there LOL I'm not sure on the weight, have to look at it when I get home tonight. I'm still contemplating the servos too, it needs HS-81 sized servos (external size) to fit inside the plane, although depending on what size engine I go with I may put elevator and rudder servos in the back to help balance and give me more room inside. I'll have to post some pics of if it to give you an idea of how small it is. I was also thinking about a .15 to .25 two stroke on a tuned pipe?? Have what used to be my first trainer still from ten years ago with a .35 and tuned pipe and thats fun. I want to fill the fuse sides with holes to make it lighter too, they are solid 1/8" balsa sheet with a couple ply formers and a lot of tri-stock. I'll get more info up here later today.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 12-04-2003, 03:15 PM
Abraxxas

The flying weight is advertised as 29oz - 38oz on the box, so take that how you may. Here are a couple pix of the current situation, the servo in the pic of the fuse is a standard sized servo spanning the wing cradle gap to give you a size idea. The others are the tail that I added counter-balances to and a couple other small things.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59836.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	79603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je95245.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	79604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15147.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	79605  
Old 12-04-2003, 03:37 PM
Boogie

That is about 800-1100g. It is very heavy for a such a small model!!! My 3d .15 planes weigh less than 900g and they can't fly out of the hover!!! I think that you should power it with a magnum .25 It is a great small motor. Those HS-81s are ok, although I would use Hs-55 for the throttle. Will you use one or two servos for the ailerons. IF you would use 2 you can even use Hs-55s. If you would choose one I would rather use HS-81.
I don't agree with the idea of using a tuned pipe in this type of model. The best power setup for it is the great running os max .15 C-VA. It is really powerful. Just watch the videos of the Mini 3D.
If you would have any more questions, just ask. I have been involved in those little 3d planes for some time.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:55 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have one Im hoping to build into a mini 3D plane one of these days. Glad to see they are still cool!
Old 12-04-2003, 04:48 PM
beardking
My Feedback: (4)

Abraxxas, I have a couple of questions for you on your Stinger. I'm considering the possibility of adding this plane to my list of kits to build and I was wondering if the cowl on this plane is a 1 piece or not. Also, I'm assuming that it is designed for 1 servo for the aileron, but how hard would it be to adjust it for a dual aileron setup? Also, how's the build on it? I've built a few kits and don't figure I'll have a problem with it, but just wonder how the fit and finish of everything is.

Thanks in advance.

Beardking.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:25 PM
Abraxxas

Boogie - I know its supposed to be a heavy model, I dont want it as a primary 3D machine, just a little fun thing to blast around with for fun and really wring out. I dont like HS-81's for controls on gas planes, Hitec told me right out that they are designed for gliders and the vibration of the engine when used for anything other than throttles will strip them out quickly. My brother and I put one on each aileron of a .20 sized plane and they were missing teeth within 10 flights... with slightly oversized strip ailerons. Switched them out for metal geared ones and so far they're fine. Maybe HS-85's? havent even really looked into it much yet. Why do you frown on the tuned pipe idea? I want a big prop, fairly low pitch to still fly the plane within its realm of safety speed-wise. I want it to tumble good and hover, thats about it... and be a bucket of fun o'course

Beardking - The cowl is 2pc as well as each wheel pant, dont think I'll be using either, very flimsy, but its a little plane too I guess and they are trying to keep an already too heavy (from what I hear anyways) plane as light as possible. I want it to be as light as possible without weakening it, thats why I'm leaving that stuff off. Otherwise, everything fits fairly well and builds extremely easy, I've been working on it in my free time for a couple months and its just about done. It could easily be built in 2 weeks. Foam wing, just waiting for glue to dry there to go on to the next step takes more time than anything (using foam safe glues). It is set up for one aileron, could be set up for two fairly easily as long as you keep them inboard enough to stay on the sheeted area. Dont think you'd want them out too far either because the wing is solid foam, you'll have to auger holes through it somehow for the servo wires and keeping them close would make this easier. I dont know if I'm going with 1 or 2 aileron servos yet. I'll post a pic of the wing so you can see what I'm talking about, it is partially sheeted with cap strips for the "rib" look.

Brian
Old 12-04-2003, 07:09 PM
Abraxxas

One of top and one of bottom, the wing is one piece out of the foam block so there is no center to drill into before you glue your halves together for the servo wires.

Brian

Name:	Nl28457.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	79651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11230.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	79652  
Old 12-04-2003, 07:12 PM
beardking
My Feedback: (4)

I wonder if you could sheet the entire wing in 1/64 ply and not add too much weight. I'd actually prefer not to have that "rib" look on something like this (that's just me though). I'd appreciate those pictures whenever you get a chance.

Oops, looks like you beat me on the pics. That help my metal image though. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:03 PM
Abraxxas

The freshly butchered fuse pic [>:] Have room for 4 more holes at rear but not sure where servos need to be yet for balance and they will need wood to mount in if one or both are in the rear A touch under 1/2oz lighter. May auger sheeting under servo tray too, not sure yet tho...

Brian

Name:	Tq48903.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	79756  
Old 12-05-2003, 12:06 AM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

Your gonna pepper that firewall and the landing gear plate right? If your gonna go light you might as well do it the right way . Now you got me thinking about dragging the old stinger 10 out and modifying it to death.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:20 AM
LS171Malibu
My Feedback: (16)

Might as well go ahead and cut away some of that excess foam too.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:15 AM
Abraxxas

I thought about that... how much foam could I take out betweet the cap strips and still be safe? 3-4 sections on the end of each wing??

Brian
Old 12-05-2003, 08:54 PM
Abraxxas

Couple more pics of the progress, just about have the airframe completed.

Brian

Name:	Eb86887.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	80023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66774.jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	80024