Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 Have ya seen..Kirby Chambliss...Edge 540 >

Have ya seen..Kirby Chambliss...Edge 540

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Have ya seen..Kirby Chambliss...Edge 540

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have ya seen..Kirby Chambliss...Edge 540

Out here in Kansas we dont get a whole lot of Air shows especially guys like Kirby Chambliss....His performance in his full scale Edge 540 is absolutely stunning...ya all probably have already seen him in person or his videos if not check it out on his web site....chamblissaerobatics.com...then download the Oskosh video...a full scale plane doing hovers, knife edge spins, water falls...ENJOY...

Chris
Old 12-16-2003, 11:02 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Have ya seen..Kirby Chambliss...Edge 540

Hey we used to go to Hugoton every year..Doug Jordan, Rege, Buckshot, Gail, all the guys I can remember from up there. Lots of good times!!

Oh, just remembered Doc Littel!! Like you could forget him..
Old 12-17-2003, 09:54 AM
My Feedback: (16)

I saw that video over a year ago and realized that 3D was not for us kids any more!
Old 12-17-2003, 12:06 PM

lol

Last night on discovey wings on a progrtam called 'aerobatics-pushing the limets' i saw him fly it. Unbelievable. He was doing waterfalls which us modlers couldent even do. It was just droping and fliping end over end. No 'upwards' part as his plane pointed up. Also his take off[X(] 100MPH yank it up of the deck and strait into KE about 20-30 feet up. This guy is good. So is that plane. Imagine a fully carbon fiber wing. That RC pylon racer stuff
Old 12-17-2003, 01:44 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I've seen him twice now at Oshkosh. It's like 30 minutes from my house. Yes, I'm bragging!

Kirby is a truly frightening pilot. He usually does his "Cobra" (a wall) on take off roll. He is about a wing or two high, and that is it. To me, I respect the "Kahones" he must have to do this, but also I'm amazed that the engine pulls out of it. The prop noise alone is worth the price of the ticket to see him.

He also does the fastest hesitation rolls I've ever seen. If you blink, you might miss 90 degrees of it, and I mean 90 degrees on the dot. Not 89.5 or 91, but exactly on the button.

I got to listen to Sean Tucker, Michael Goulian, Matt Chapman, and Kirby Chamblis all talking trash to each other after the show. All I can say is that each one of them knows exactly how good they are, but there was also quite a bit of BS in the conversation.

They all seem like pretty cool guys. Even when I told Matt how much I hated "his" H9 Cap, he kept his smile. Until Kirby yelled, "That's cause it won't do a Cobra"! Matt lost his smile then. It was a great experience.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:26 PM
My Feedback: (45)

Man that guy is intense... I can't believe he was here in Memphis and I missed him... Not again... I'm going to be sure to see him in person in 2004.... I don't care how far I have to drive....
Old 12-17-2003, 10:03 PM
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too love KC even though I have never seen him in person-- he and Mike G are the most "precise" flyers I know of right now. Everybody has their favorite and the show on DW mentioned above shows just how bold these guys are. As for me my personal favorite is Jim LeRoy (Bulldogairshows.com)-- 3D in a full scale-down on the deck-- and crazy to boot. He does things in a full scale that I will not do with a model.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:09 PM

Damn...I just saw Kirby's video and the 1 hour tailslide gave me goosebumps. What is the thing called when he had it flipping over end for end??? He is truely a joy to watch fly...!
I have also seen Jim LeRoy's video...unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2003, 08:47 AM
My Feedback: (40)

I have had the great fortune of watching and talking to him in OSHKOSH.....Kirby has been flying like this for at least the last 5 years. He is always pushing the envelope with his ZIVKO EDGE.........Great guy
Old 12-18-2003, 12:03 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry about the poor quality but here he is at Reno this year. I got to talk to kim a little bit about 3D. Control inputs for the blender and rolling Harrier. He said that he tried the rolling Harrier but kept falling out of it. He does the "Falling Leaf/Stair Step" as part of his routine (inverted to upright elevator and back).

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51444.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	83282  
Old 12-18-2003, 10:01 PM

He Flys an EDGE....Nuff Said...

Edges are for the Strong...extras are for the weak

Scott